TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3854 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1189 190 191 192 193 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cartman wrote:
I'd find it funny if after all this, Tide ramps up their NASCAR program and sponsors a team full-time.

Like the 42 car. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Sandeep Banerjee wrote:
Why was nothing said about Juan going that fast under caution or atleast through a zone where safety vehicles were present? I don't think you are allowed to go that fast other than when the track has been cleared of safety vehicles and they've been given the one to go so wavearounds can speed around the track. It would've been a disaster if there was any personnel out on the track there too.

How slow should he have been going? Even at the 70mph pace speed, losing a tire randomly and hitting a jet dryer would have had the same results. Like Steve Park's accident at Dover 10 years ago, you just can't protect against that kind of random occurrence.

Yep, Darlington, not Dover... but yeah, the only other thing that can really come out of this is a physical change in safety on the cars themselves (or in this case, jet dryers). Not sure what the hell you could do, though. That's a crap-ton of fuel you can't really make "non-flammable" at the flick of a switch, or something.

Freak accidents can happen in this sport, and Juan did nothing wrong, or out of the ordinary, same as Larry Foyt in 2001.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:49 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Wil Vincent wrote:
"This Fire delay is brought to you by Tide.

No matter how big, or explosive the stain, Tide gets the job done.

Tide Official Detergent of NASCAR"

You killed me ... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Sandeep Banerjee wrote:
Why was nothing said about Juan going that fast under caution or atleast through a zone where safety vehicles were present? I don't think you are allowed to go that fast other than when the track has been cleared of safety vehicles and they've been given the one to go so wavearounds can speed around the track. It would've been a disaster if there was any personnel out on the track there too.

How slow should he have been going? Even at the 70mph pace speed, losing a tire randomly and hitting a jet dryer would have had the same results. Like Steve Park's accident at Dover 10 years ago, you just can't protect against that kind of random occurrence.

Except he might not have experienced that failure at 70 mph, or atleast had a better shot at saving the car at a lower speed. When you can feel a vibration, you know there's a good chance of something failing in the car, so slow down, atleast when going through areas with safety vehicles and personnel present.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I don't see how anyone can blame Juan for that. You have to go faster than pace speed to catch up to the field and NASCAR circulates the jet dryers to clean any debris/marbles/trash off the racing surface. The only thing that realistically could have been done differently is to not send the jet dryers out while the cars are circulating around the track, even under caution. Juan came out of the pits, had to catch the field, he probably was feeling the car out to see if the crew had fixed it and then it just suddenly locked up. He may have slowed down as he approached the jet dryers or not, it's really hard to tell from any of the shots FOX had how fast he was really going. You can't tell very well when a car is coming straight at you how fast it is going.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Andre wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
Sandeep Banerjee wrote:

Yep, Darlington, not Dover... but yeah, the only other thing that can really come out of this is a physical change in safety on the cars themselves (or in this case, jet dryers). Not sure what the hell you could do, though. That's a crap-ton of fuel you can't really make "non-flammable" at the flick of a switch, or something.

Freak accidents can happen in this sport, and Juan did nothing wrong, or out of the ordinary, same as Larry Foyt in 2001.

What the hell are you gonna do to make a Cup car even safer? Those things are the definition of tanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

markmartinfan wrote:
I don't see how anyone can blame Juan for that. You have to go faster than pace speed to catch up to the field and NASCAR circulates the jet dryers to clean any debris/marbles/trash off the racing surface. The only thing that realistically could have been done differently is to not send the jet dryers out while the cars are circulating around the track, even under caution. Juan came out of the pits, had to catch the field, he probably was feeling the car out to see if the crew had fixed it and then it just suddenly locked up. He may have slowed down as he approached the jet dryers or not, it's really hard to tell from any of the shots FOX had how fast he was really going. You can't tell very well when a car is coming straight at you how fast it is going.

I just don't think he was anywhere close to pace speed and almost double that when he passed the first jet dryer but w/e, just an observation I felt I had to bring up. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I meant the jet dryers, not the Cup cars - and like I said, I'm not sure it's quite possible to make a load of jet fuel that big "safe". *shrugs*

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Sandeep Banerjee wrote:
I just don't think he was anywhere close to pace speed and almost double that when the thing failed on his car but w/e, just an observation I felt I had to bring up. :)

Yeah I'm sure that's true, but that was no different than what everyone else does. It wasn't an odd situation other than the fact the car broke and sent him on a path straight into a rolling bomb. I'm sure the Jet Dryers were going somewhere between 30 and 50 MPH and Juan had to go at least 100 MPH to even come close to catching the field. What I'm really trying to say is that I don't believe Juan was going unreasonably fast when he approached the safety vehicles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yea that was definitely not the first time a driver went that fast under caution but NASCAR will definitely be paying more attention to it now I think, perhaps even come up with new rules for the same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sandeep Banerjee wrote:
markmartinfan wrote:

I just don't think he was anywhere close to pace speed and almost double that when he passed the first jet dryer but w/e, just an observation I felt I had to bring up. :)

Probably going 100-120mph, but now we're going to judge Montoya unfairly and point fingers because a freak accident occured? It was an almost perfect storm. That's not Juan's fault. Everyone has driven that speed and faster under yellow flag conditions before but that's being ignored because they didn't get involved in a freak incident?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

All of this "he was going too fast through the safety zone" and "this race sucked" blah blah blah is complete nonsense. Half of this thread is populated with posts from people who either don't remember or have never seen a plate race from 15 years ago. Through much of NASCAR's own idiocy these new fans have been brainwashed into thinking that if it's not 2 or 3 wide all race long with a flipping car and last lap pass then the race sucked. That my friends is garbage. This Daytona 500 was no different than any 500 in the mid 90's and there is nothing wrong with that or the racing.

As for any bitching or criticism of Juan goes, anybody doing so has clearly no grasp on how these races work and have worked since NASCAR began. You always hustle to get back around and the majority of the time the safety trucks are all over the track.

I've been watching this shit for the last 20+ years. Go back and take a history lesson.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

westracing01 wrote:
All of this "he was going too fast through the safety zone" and "this race sucked" blah blah blah is complete nonsense. Half of this thread is populated with posts from people who either don't remember or have never seen a plate race from 15 years ago. Through much of NASCAR's own idiocy these new fans have been brainwashed into thinking that if it's not 2 or 3 wide all race long with a flipping car and last lap pass then the race sucked. That my friends is garbage. This Daytona 500 was no different than any 500 in the mid 90's and there is nothing wrong with that or the racing.

As for any bitching or criticism of Juan goes, anybody doing so has clearly no grasp on how these races work and have worked since NASCAR began. You always hustle to get back around and the majority of the time the safety trucks are all over the track.

I've been watching this shit for the last 20+ years. Go back and take a history lesson.

You can drop the tough guy know it all attitude. 20+ years back, a fatality wouldn't wreck as much bad publicity on the sport as it would today. Racing's already hounded regularly by the green brigade as it is and you don't want the headlines saying driver burnt alive in jet dryer accident on the newspapers. If certain things have been done a certain way for 20 years or more, it doesn't mean they have to stay that way and can't be improved upon to remove deficiencies that we may have looked past.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Monty's car being taken apart.

https://twitter.com/#!/jamiemcmurray/st ... 08/photo/1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:36 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:53 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

hahaha niiiice!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:

Should've sent that thing to a museum, or display it in the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

First thing that came up in Google

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cartman wrote:
Gaara wrote:

Should've sent that thing to a museum, or display it in the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

I think that car along with the jet dryer itself (and maybe a box of Tide :p ) should all be displayed at the Hall.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3854 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1189 190 191 192 193 Next