TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1110 111 112 113 114261 Next

were you born before or after SPA 1991? (MSC F1 Debut)
Before 86%  86%  [ 190 ]
After 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
Total votes: 220
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

@
Paul
Listening to your podcast. 'Hello Girls' :lol:

Why is RoGro the giraffe?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:54 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
@Paul Listening to your podcast. 'Hello Girls' :lol:

Why is RoGro the giraffe?

What my podcast at http://www.mixcloud.com/wheeldeal/f1inp ... cast-2012/ ??
(Well, you asked!)

Rogro (good name! :p ) is the giraffe because he's got a long neck but he's always smiling....I dunno tbh it was the first time I'd heard it too lol

I come across as slightly too surprised that the room has quite a few girls in it, don't I? :p

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah :lol:

I started using RoGro on Twitter to save words; I started with Big John but international audience didn't quite get that.

Love people's reaction "IT WAS SCHUMACHER" :lol: You have a future as a co-commentator. What'd ya say Paul, me and you in the F1 paddock. I write, you talk :p

Oh, and the 'hello guuurls' is at 01:39 for anyone fussed haha

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:08 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
Yeah :lol:

I started using RoGro on Twitter to save words; I started with Big John but international audience didn't quite get that.

Love people's reaction "IT WAS SCHUMACHER" :lol: You have a future as a co-commentator. What'd ya say Paul, me and you in the F1 paddock. I write, you talk :p

Oh, and the 'hello guuurls' is at 01:39 for anyone fussed haha

In my whole time in radio I have found I'm better at being a co-host (when someone can just ask me a question and set me off) than the lead, where you're too busy worrying about timings and pressing the right button to actually listen to people :p

I know my reputation on this forum is a bit of a moaner, especially in the Indycar threads, but that comes from years of not being shy to express my opinions on air because a good debate is good radio and eats up airtime!
If you can entice a reaction out of the listener by being a bit controversial then all the better, sadly Its become a bit of a way of life for me now, hence posts in the Indycar threads saying "oh for fucks sake man!" like I get :p

I even like Indycar, honest! :lol:

Still, F1inpubs is me in my element, can't believe it's taken me this long to find somewhere where you can watch F1 in a pub like afootball fans take for granted.
Even if all races were live on the BBC this year I'd have still gone to it, the fact it's the only way I can see half the races live is just a bonus really, I'm hoping it sounds like as much fun as it really is.

AND! There are girls there! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:51 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
ellis wrote:
Another way of looking at it is Alonso only had 1 WC on the grid to beat. Vettel beat 4 of them.

I was about to mention the fact you missed Villeneuve, but, well

:tumble:

I got confused as to which years Villeneuve ran partial seasons. Alonso did indeed beat JV in 2005.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Everyone beat JV in 2005.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:33 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:33 pm 
The most anticipated member

I strongly disagree to what Jenson Button said today. He said the excess of winners this year and a possible lack of hierarchy will make fans lose interest in F1. Based on this theory, NASCAR wouldn't have fans anymore cause there you have a big variety of winners.....any comments against competitivity is absolutely condemnable. Button, I tell you what make fans mad, you know what? GPs like Bahrain and Abu Dhabi! Why don't you complain about it? What a moron...

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The moronic thing is that Jenson was probably asked a question by the media, which he then answered and people use that as justification to complain about something irrelevant.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

J.Morelli wrote:
I strongly disagree to what Jenson Button said today. He said the excess of winners this year and a possible lack of hierarchy will make fans lose interest in F1. Based on this theory, NASCAR wouldn't have fans anymore cause there you have a big variety of winners.....any comments against competitivity is absolutely condemnable. Button, I tell you what make fans mad, you know what? GPs like Bahrain and Abu Dhabi! Why don't you complain about it? What a moron...

No. He did not do this. Sky twisted his words beyond fucking belief.

"But there will come a time when the fans will say, 'So anyone can win a grand prix, everyone can lose a grand prix like that?' [snaps his fingers].

"I think they're finding it a little bit strange now. I don't know, but hopefully a pattern will emerge after the next couple of races and we'll understand the teams and drivers we need to beat to win the championship."

That's what he said.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:35 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

phil1993 wrote:
J.Morelli wrote:

"But there will come a time when the fans will say, 'So anyone can win a grand prix, everyone can lose a grand prix like that?' [snaps his fingers].

"I think they're finding it a little bit strange now. I don't know, but hopefully a pattern will emerge after the next couple of races and we'll understand the teams and drivers we need to beat to win the championship."

That's what he said.

Don't you hate the type of journalist who make a "juicy" headline out of anything? They might as well have done it this way:

"Jenson, do you honestly think that anyone with more than three serious traffic offences should be thrown in to jail forever without prosecution just like that?" [snaps his fingers]

"I don't think that's the way it should be done in a western democracy."

The headlines: BUTTON THINKS THAT THERE SHOULDN'T BE CONSEQUENCES FOR SERIOUS TRAFFIC OFFENCES! "I don't think that's the way it should be done in a western democracy."

I hate it when I fall for a headline that says something that didn't happen. Headlines should be more honest, but that probably wouldn't be as interesting as the lying ones.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lies sell.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lies don't sell, negativity and sensationalism sells.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Even the most serious papers now have to start sensationalising the crap out of anything. This only reflects the readers level anyway, since the more stupidly deformed the story/title is, the more shared it is.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yea, it pisses me off as well, I see straight through it thankfully

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:06 am 
The most anticipated member

phil1993 wrote:

That's what he said.

Given these new interpretations, I step back on what I said. Shame on you press..like we say here, it's "brown press".

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:39 am 

There is a point to what Button said though...for some people, the degree of "randomness" currently in F1 may be a cause for disinterest.

I think that it adds great spice, but there are issues to deal with if the randomness becomes completely artificial with gimmicks like DRS or crappy tires spoiling otherwise good races by specific drivers.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not a fan of gimmicks that take the ability to fight out of the driver's hands (e.g. DRS), but the current situation with tyres is not a gimmick, it's a challenge worn equally by all teams and is fantastically shaking up the haves vs have nots at the moment. I have no problem with the way things are now continuing long into the future of F1. Do people really get tired of seeing a bigger variety of winners? I could understand people getting tired of something that rewards luck rather than the best effort, but every winner this year has done the best job on the day. Tyre management isn't something you fluke, it takes extreme skill and endurance. Hilarious that supposed "greatest drivers ever" like Schumi are the ones complaining about it rather than excelling.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spot on mate, no one has lucked into a victory this year.Yes people will say Alonso was lucky Perez ballsed up but Alonso had no place being where he was either, especially before the upgrades. Every win has been hard fought. And why isn't anyone talking about ballast placement? Afterall last year there was the mandatory placement of ballast as people weren't sure what would happen with the new Pirelli tyre, but this year can put it any where. Doesn't this have an effect on the tyre? If it wasn't such a big thing then they wouldn't have worried about it last year.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:04 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I personally find it humorous that Schumacher went through his career largely with extraordinary reliability in an era of unreliability, while he's now having an unreliable car in a period of extraordinary reliability :lol:

Anyway, back to the point. The only thing I don't like is when DRS is just ridiculous. Turkey and Canada last year were two examples. If the DRS zone is on the back straight next weekend it's going to be silly because there won't be any skill involved. I've maintained since the start of DRS that we need to have the zones on an area of the track that is not the main overtaking point, but may provide one and also close the cars up ahead of the main overtaking point.

I don't think the Pirelli tyres are vastly different than 2011, it's the cars that are. In 2011, you had those with the EBD, those without. That created a large gap between the front and the midfield. Then inside of those leading teams you had a varying level of how the teams could get the EBD to work. Ferrari was comfortably 3rd best, Mercedes 4th. But behind Vettel - whose 2011 was a mixture of a driver and car working in perfect tandem - you had some close racing and some odd positions. This year, the teams are so much closer. The only main difference with the tyres is that they operate effectively for each team in a much shorter temperature range. A swing of 5c will play into the hands of another team. Last year, most teams fell into the same operating window in terms of temperature and therefore effectiveness. In 2012 for some reason, the Red Bull & Lotus works well when it's hot, Mercedes when it's cool not cold and Ferrari when it's warm. I still can't comment on McLaren, because they need to stop cocking up.

As for unpredictability, well we've had Jenson Button (champion), Fernando Alonso (champion), Nico Rosberg (frequently touted as a champion), Sebastian Vettel (champion) and Mark Webber (almost won the 2010 title) win races. The only really, really unusual unexpected results have been Sergio Perez's second, which came through tactical genius and a driver who was outstanding on that day plus Pastor Maldonado's victory. We're not having Marussia or HRT winning.

Another point is that I don't know why everyone is so apeshit about saving tyres in qualifying; the last four winners have won from pole position...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1110 111 112 113 114261 Next