TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 179 80 81 82 83261 Next

were you born before or after SPA 1991? (MSC F1 Debut)
Before 86%  86%  [ 190 ]
After 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
Total votes: 220
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:52 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Korea promised much more than it could deliver. It's a track in the middle of no where, which travelling to is a nightmare, and accommodation is even worse. They wanted to build a city around the track (a bit backwards isn't it?) to address that issue, but hardly even got started.

I don't mind Korea as a track, but logistically it's like Magny Cours. It's just very very badly placed and as a result, the paddock goers hated it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 am 

Imagine the 2015 calendar only consisting of Tilke tracks. Just go back 10 years, then we only had one Tilke track (Sepang) and we still had classics like Imola and A1-Ring. The calendar is loosing all its charm and character it once had.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

HRC wrote:
Imagine the 2015 calendar only consisting of Tilke tracks. Just go back 10 years, then we only had one Tilke track (Sepang) and we still had classics like Imola and A1-Ring. The calendar is loosing all its charm and character it once had.

Except in 2005 there was also Istanbul, Bahrain and Shanghai but no A1-Ring.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
HRC wrote:

And A1-Ring was a Tilke track too, whilst Imola was crap for racing anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
HRC wrote:

but 10 years ago was 2002, not 2005.

Imola post-Senna was still a good track untill they ruined the Variante Alta. But I'd love to see a race with the current cutting of Variante Bassa.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah ok, makes sense. I was going back 10 years from the 2015 bit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yeah I don't really miss Imola, the only amazing thing I remember there was Montoya passing a Jordan around the outside of the first chicane.
(Oh, and a random Midland F1 flip...weird)

Everyone got excited about the finish of the 2005 race with Micheal hunting down Fernando, but due to the lack of passing opportunities I knew he wouldn't get by and wondered what all the fuss was about..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

One of the team principals has spoken out, although he's remained anonymous

Quote:
In an interview with the Guardian, the nameless team principal said he could not envisage the race going ahead without serious security measures in place.

"I feel very uncomfortable about going to Bahrain," he said. "If I'm brutally frank, the only way they can pull this race off without incident is to have a complete military lock-down there. And I think that would be unacceptable, both for Formula One and for Bahrain. But I don't see any other way they can do it."

One concern had been that the teams would not be able to insure their staff and the millions of dollars of equipment while in the country, and the team principal talking to the Guardian said it was the safety of the staff that was really worrying the team bosses.

"We're all hoping the FIA calls it off," he added. "From a purely legal point of view, in terms of insurance and government advice, we are clear to go. But what we find worrying is that there are issues happening every day. I saw an interview with a human rights activist on BBC World, and he said that there would be demonstrations and that they would be peaceful. But that is the way all demonstrations start off.

"Other team principals are going through the same worries. I spent all last week making sure the insurances are right so I can reassure the teams. I've sent out an email to our legal department to make sure all our employees are covered for acts of terrorism and civil disorder while travelling to, during and coming back from the Bahrain GP.

"We have a lot of people. Our first and foremost priority has to be our employees. And their families. That's what concerns us most, even though we've not said anything about it. It seems to me that while there has been some political progress in Bahrain they're not quite ready. The best thing would be for the race to be postponed until later in the year, or even cancelled.

"But that is a decision that must be made by the FIA, FOM [Formula One Management] and the commercial rights holder. I never anticipated a decision being made until the week before China. I believe Jean Todt is in China, which is interesting."

Judging by the language used, I'm inclined to believe it's Horner...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:54 pm 

Is it not a bit late in the day to be cancelling or postponing the race now? I'm sure there's going to be fans who've made travel plans as well as the teams. Personally unless the rumour about the cancellation being embargoed (another thing I dont understand) is true then I think it'll probably go ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fergie wrote:
Is it not a bit late in the day to be cancelling or postponing the race now? I'm sure there's going to be fans who've made travel plans as well as the teams. Personally unless the rumour about the cancellation being embargoed (another thing I dont understand) is true then I think it'll probably go ahead.

There won't be many non-Bahrain fans heading to Bahrain. I know you're connected to the country, but from TV it always looked fairly sparse even before the troubles. Bernie can cancel the race up to 24 hours prior to the lights going out if he wants and not be financially responsible IIRC

It's no problem for the F1 teams because they have made arrangements to head straight back to Europe (via Dubai) after China should Bahrain be cancelled over the course of this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The attempts of keeping Barain GP do not impress me. Considering past events, F1 went through worse situations like South Africa during Apartheid - from this point of view, racing in countries with political issues being a threat to F1's reputation seems a naive talk. Even more naive if you consider the only fear that motivates the Bahrain GP to be cancelled is the one of someone from paddock ending up hurt because of the tensions over there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

"We consider this an act of terrorism."

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Everyone got excited about the finish of the 2005 race with Micheal hunting down Fernando, but due to the lack of passing opportunities I knew he wouldn't get by and wondered what all the fuss was about..
Overtaking wasn't easy but you never really know what could have happened, Don't forget that prior to catching Alonso, Schumacher had passed Button on track & there had been some other overtaking done on-track that day.

I'd still say that Imola 05/06 were 2 of the best racing fights for a win I've seen the past 10 years. Really got into both of them, Not wanting to take my eye's off the screen, sitting on the edge of my seat & wanting to strangle the guy in charge at ITV when they took that Ad-Break with 2 laps left :lol:

Moving onto Bahrain, I still think it should have been called off sooner so there was time to replace it with Istanbul.

I'm probably one of the few people around that actually liked the Bahrain circuit & enjoyed the racing there (Exception's been 2009/2010 which were the only 2 really bad races there), However If I had a choice I'd pick Istanbul over Bahrain.

Just a shame Istanbul never drew a decent crowd, Probably Tilke's best track that consistently produced good races.

As for Paul Ricard, Nice track (Long Pre-86 layout especially) just a shame it's so damn ugly to watch with the blue/red striped runoff.

Tarmac runoff that works brilliantly to slow the cars down
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1iikw ... -wurz_auto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:25 am 
The most anticipated member

Omega wrote:
kals wrote:
HRC wrote:

but 10 years ago was 2002, not 2005.

Imola post-Senna was still a good track untill they ruined the Variante Alta. But I'd love to see a race with the current cutting of Variante Bassa.

Imola is still a great track and recently they've made some experiments bringing back the Variante Bassa, at least for Bike races. Track is extremely safe nowadays, facilities were almost all reformed/renewed, it still has its traditional charm and races are fun. Imola is perfect for F1, I can't understand why Bernie removed it and there's not even a tiny sign of a future come back. As a Imola fan, I still watch some of the races they make there like the 4 Hours of Imola (will try to watch it on internet) among some other small events.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bernie Ecclestone wrote:
We've no way we can force people to go there. Commercially they have to go, but whether they decide to or not is up to them. I've had no-one say anything other than 'we're going to be racing in Bahrain

Jean Todt's flying to China for the race; apparently there's a crunch meeting on Saturday morning. Time to show some leadership...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would find it amazing that the Korean Grand Prix would be axed.

I mean, we had some discussions lately that the European races in the end wil get more and more trouble to go ahead (the reason why the best track would alternate with the French Grand Prix), and yet some of these new 'promising' countries even have trouble (Turkey, Korea). And furthermore we have the current troubles with the Bahrain circuit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:18 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's because they got charged a fortune to host a race in the middle of nowhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:47 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

It seems the best Tilke tracks are built miles from anywhere (Turkey, Korea)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

phil1993 wrote:
It's because they got charged a fortune to host a race in the middle of nowhere.

And they've been trying to renegotiate to bring the fee down. I guess that rubbed Bernie and CVC the wrong way.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:05 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

Turkey is right on the outskirts of the worlds 20th largest city.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 179 80 81 82 83261 Next