TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 44261 Next

were you born before or after SPA 1991? (MSC F1 Debut)
Before 86%  86%  [ 190 ]
After 14%  14%  [ 30 ]
Total votes: 220
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mattzel89 wrote:
...and the gold is gone aswell

Good, the original cars never were gold.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Noticed this:

https://twitter.com/#!/tedkravitz
Quote:
A few things from Jerez: Lotus Renault ran 'active' ride device in Brazil practice but not qual or race, was intended to be on car for Oz..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 am 

Is there a consensus yet as to whether the stepped nose as opposed to the McLaren nose has a significant aerodynamic effect?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fergie wrote:
Is there a consensus yet as to whether the stepped nose as opposed to the McLaren nose has a significant aerodynamic effect?

I believe it might have. Surely the designers considered both solutions when they were working on the new cars, so the fact that the entire grid but McLaren came up with that design, tells me that in theory the stepped nose should be the way to go. If that is, I wouldn't be surprised that McLaren follow suit as early as before the AUSGP. But still, McLaren is McLaren, they sure have their reasons to come up with that design.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:01 am 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

I wouldn't be upset if McLaren lap everyone twice at the first race though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gabriel wrote:
Fergie wrote:

I believe it might have. Surely the designers considered both solutions when they were working on the new cars, so the fact that the entire grid but McLaren came up with that design, tells me that in theory the stepped nose should be the way to go. If that is, I wouldn't be surprised that McLaren follow suit as early as before the AUSGP. But still, McLaren is McLaren, they sure have their reasons to come up with that design.

Not necessarily, maybe all the other designers became so obsessed with trying to exploit a new regulation that they overlooked the basics principles of aerodynamics.

Conventional thinking would suggest that the step will produce some form of downforce, if shaped right, but what matters is whether that trades off too much in the drag coefficient department, it's no good having a car that produces tons of downforce in the corners if it has terrible drag and those not with the step can leave you standing down the straight, those that have decided that trade off is not worth it (i.e. McLaren) will win out in the end especially at places where speed is more important.

Unless of course the regulations have made it such that drag is no longer an issue and the cars are so powerful that they overcome any inefficiencies in aerodynamics, but then if that were the case, the teams wouldn't put as much effort into the rear end as they do.

I too hope that McLaren lap the field in Aus, if for nothing more than to bring the rest of them back to planet earth, sometimes, simple and elegance is better than ugly and complicated, and it's not like Newey hasn't designed some pigs over the years, so just because the Red Bull has it, doesn't mean it's the right approach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, that may be true. But I do think that in this F1 era, considering the tracks and gadgets like DRS and KERS, having a part of the car that brings extra downforce in the corners outwheights the extra drag said part it may produce.

That said, yeah I also hope McLaren rapes everyone in Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Its not 1998 any more, sadly.

Mclaren have traditionally been ones to go for straight line speed over cornering speed (F-Duct, KERS, etc when main rivals didn't go down those roads in 2010/2009)

Lets hope for once it pays off

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:33 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:
*vomits*

I opened up the page to see some new photos of the cars and this was the first photo that loaded! Good God I nearly spat my coffee out all over the computer! Even the first pictures of the 2009 cars didn't induce this much nausea.

This was the first pic I saw of the 2009 spec cars, during winter testing at the end of 2008. Love the comments! Would take this 'snow plough' BMW any day.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coldtrackdays/3039555225/

In regards to the Red Bull, that under tray joining the chassis together looks like some serious bit of kit, as well as the mini 'F Duct' they have.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is there a diagram or article that specifically explains the new nose regs? I still don't understand why the lower nose requirement has resulted in the step - there must be some minimum height requirement on the bridge of the nose as well? But if so I don't understand how Mclaren got around that and what an overall lower sill line had to do with it.

And seriously, someone didn't do their homework when they approved this rule change. Surely they didn't intend for it to produce a grid of broken noses like this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
kals wrote:
If the racing is (at least half) decent then I don't care what the cars look like or what colour they are.

And if Vettel wins again?

I am at least partly here because as a child the cool looking cars caught my attention.
Yes, the good racing made me stick around, but as the French say, the first bite is with the eye and all that.

I just hope we can start a petition or something to encourage the FIA to change a minor reg or two for the future to eliminate this trend before F1 becomes known as the series with the 200mph eyesores.

Dunno when you first watched racing but when I started going to races at Silverstone in the early eighties I was taken in by speed, noise and spectacle of what I saw. I was too young to think whether the car was attractive or not, all I thought was "wow that was loud and fast. Cool!"

Ugly has been part of motorsport for years and in some ways ugly has also been beautiful. We each have a differing opinion on beauty but I don't see the point in filling up multiple pages of moaning when it is what it is now. Let's just accept what we've got and look forward to the testing and new season starting (soon).

Go draw up your petition if that helps you. I doubt it will make any difference whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:58 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Philthy82 wrote:
Is there a diagram or article that specifically explains the new nose regs? I still don't understand why the lower nose requirement has resulted in the step - there must be some minimum height requirement on the bridge of the nose as well? But if so I don't understand how Mclaren got around that and what an overall lower sill line had to do with it.

And seriously, someone didn't do their homework when they approved this rule change. Surely they didn't intend for it to produce a grid of broken noses like this.

Here's a good explanation about the new nosecone rule.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/2012-nose-height-regulations/

So FIA f*cked us over with their new regulations. Good thinking FIA! Maybe for the next season you add a way lower minimum height for the tip of the nose, so we don't have to watch another year of these monstrosities, okey?

And here's about why McLaren has lower and smoother nose.
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/launch-analysis-mclaren-mercedes-mp4-27/

Apparently the McLaren has a lower cockpit than the others, not just the nose.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

New Williams FW34

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I need a radical livery change, now!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I was hoping they'd have a bit of yellow for the Renault engines

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shouldn't there be some more Brazilian sponsors on it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:57 am 

Gabriel wrote:
Fergie wrote:

I think it's to do with the concept of the whole car. McLaren have had the lower nose for the last few years, and the others have gone for higher noses; this changes where the air goes past the nose, and how much. I'd imagine that dropping the nose on the Ferrari would mean redesigning the whole package to cope with the different airflow; if they've refined their current concept well enough they'd rather stick with the highest possible nose and work with what they know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

Here's a good explanation about the new nosecone rule.

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/2012-nose-height-regulations/

So FIA f*cked us over with their new regulations. Good thinking FIA! Maybe for the next season you add a way lower minimum height for the tip of the nose, so we don't have to watch another year of these monstrosities, okey?

And here's about why McLaren has lower and smoother nose.
http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/launch-analysis-mclaren-mercedes-mp4-27/

Apparently the McLaren has a lower cockpit than the others, not just the nose.

Thanks for this. So basically where the FIA fucked up was by insisting on a 275mm height-thickness halfway down the nose, then mandating a much lower maximum height for the length of nose immediately ahead of this, but not any minimum height-thickness for this section. The teams were always going to maximise the space underneath the nose for aero reasons, and the result is the fugly Lemony Snicket nose we have to look at this year.

Still doesn't answer why Mclaren doesn't need the aero under the nose that every other team apparently needs. The proof will be in the performance at Melbourne, but it's a pretty major difference in approach.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:28 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Just saw this. I like. I wish it was real.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:07 pm 
The most anticipated member

Shaddix wrote:
Shouldn't there be some more Brazilian sponsors on it?

according to the logics of Bruno Senna's hiring based on investments from Eike Batista, the OGX group logo should be displayed in the cars. Also Embratel should be there (Embratel belongs to Telmex Group) and Gillette. I think they'll display the sponsorships later, it's always like that with Williams, they only show the actual paint scheme when the season starts.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 5205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 140 41 42 43 44261 Next