Indycar 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Indy Lights 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Formula Nippon 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 178
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Simple question.

What's the dullest, most worthless series you know?

I put these on the poll, but if you've got any other series, i'll add them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Well first you have to evaluate their purpose. Superleague is not a feeder series to F1, whilst Indy Lights is different to GP2 for example.

Out of GP2, GP3, WSR, F2 etc I'd say F2. It seems to be a sidestep out of the system and very few of the drivers have actually got anywhere. GP2 has produced several F1 drivers, winners and a champion. GP3 is too young to judge but the drivers are making it to GP2 and are fairly competent. WSR is almost as good as GP2 in terms of talent and comparable machinery to F1. But F2 just sucks :p Only Robert Wickens (2nd in 2009) seems to have a chance of reaching F1, which is surely the purpose of most European based junior formulae.

AutoGP seems to be there for little reason, whilst F3 is dying a slow death through in Britain the dominance of Carlin and in Europe through the introduction of GP3. Very soon, I think GP3 will kill off the Euroseries because the levels are just too comparable that its preferable for a driver to pay possibly more to get himself seen by F1 teams, GP2 teams and on the F1 circuits

Last edited by phil1993 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003
Out of that list...
AutoGP and Superleague Formula

A1GP could be on that list, but that series isn't alive anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't agree with Superleague. They have decent drivers and always deliver nice races.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If we're just sticking strictly to pointless, then Superleague and AutoGP both do not seem to serve any purpose.

All the other series are feeder series, allowing drivers to gain experience and move up to the next level of cars. They do this with varying degrees of success, depending on how popular they are, but they have a purpose.

F1 and Indycar are both big enough sustain themselves and provide a living for drivers.

A1GP and Superleague were not financially sustainable and couldn't provide a living for drivers, I expect AutoGP will go the same way. Have there ever been open wheel series other than F1 and Indycar (and CCWS for a few years post-split) where drivers have been able to earn a living rather than aiming to get up to the next series on the ladder?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Superleague didn't know what it wanted to be this year for the two races they managed to put on. Nation or football.

AutoGP doesn't serve any purpose really. F2 is becoming more pointless as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah. Euro F3 had stupidly small grids last time I saw it, as does Indy Lights. I suppose good drivers have moved up from them though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:55 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Formula 2 and AutoGP

AutoGP had potential, but I haven't seen a good race. All I can remember are the dull ones (e.g. all) and a pretty expensive start at Imola last year. But other than that this series has provided nothing...maybe Romain Grosjean raping the field but..meh. I thought it might get better this year as support of the World Touring Car Championship (taking F2's place btw), but I was wrong. What's the point of this series then? Bring back Formula Masters please.

Formula 2

Great opening season, turned into boredom in season 2, with season 3 being the first nail on the coffin. Whoever had the idea to go away from WTCC and join the GT Open supports, well congrats. They now have some of the worst coverage in Europe, turning the series away from the public attention..oh wait, it's not like anyone watches it anyway. If there's going to be a 5th season I'll be impressed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:30 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

What was so wrong with just Formula Ford-Formula 3-Formula 2-Formula 1? And the national alternatives of course, Formula Vee, Indy Lights. Formula Nippon is the top series in Japan so that flies too.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of WSBR, GP2, GP3, AutoGP, Formula BMW, and of course Superleague Formula. They are all BS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ive added Formula One to the list too.. that is the most pointless, over blown, self important open wheel formula of the lot, all the rest serve a purpose..they fulfill a need in a (Geographic) area too.. F1 is just full of self important tossers.

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:47 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I don't agree with what I see as the definition of "pointless" here.

It seems if a series isn't on the ladder system to F1 and tries to carve its own niche against the might of the F1 publicity empire, it is decried as "pointless"

Sadly these series seem to be mismanaged at the best of times, but A1GP nearly made a name for itself by racing in the European winter season and giving drivers and teams something to keep their experience levels up over the winter.
If it had better leadership I believe that concept could've come off tbh.
Sky certainly seemed behind it, at least in the UK...

Superleague Formula was a stupid concept, you're not going to tempt football fans to Motorsport just by slapping their favourite team colours on a car because they're fundamentally different sports.
But anyone who watched the on-track product couldn't help but warm to the series because the racing was just so damn great.

My answer to the question is Formula 2.
Since they lost the WTCC support slot and with it Eurosport's TV coverage I think the championship has lost a lot of its lustre.
Also the racing has been dull as hell 9 times out of 10, these stupid little cars seem to have far too little horsepower for their own good.

However if they were to suddenly acquire the Superleague machinery after their inevitable bankruptcy then my opinions on the series would improve slightly ;)

It's a shame really, A1GP and Superleague Formula would do a lot of good and put on a hell of a lot better racing with the backing F2 or something like Renault World series get, but sadly we have to sit through tedious races from these series because the money is behind them when something interesting and unique ends up going bankrupts.

But then there's rarely any justice in the world eh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

F2 and F3 Euroseries

Mattzel89 wrote:
Bring back Formula Masters please.

ya :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dicksplash wrote:
What was so wrong with just Formula Ford-Formula 3-Formula 2-Formula 1? And the national alternatives of course, Formula Vee, Indy Lights. Formula Nippon is the top series in Japan so that flies too.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of WSBR, GP2, GP3, AutoGP, Formula BMW, and of course Superleague Formula. They are all BS.

I think that should be the way it is.

But instead of F2 being Formula Palmer Audi, it would be a FR 3.5 type chassis with the 450 hp turbo from the F2 car.

Last edited by ptclaus98 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:43 am 

F2 and AutoGP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:07 am 

I cannot believe the most exciting road course open wheeler gets the most votes. However, probably that is why it is going under.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:02 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Considering Superleague Formula provided quite possible one of the best openwheel-racing I have ever experienced, I refuse to vote for it, because that means it's not pointless to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I voted F1.

I just got fed up with all those that claim it's the best series in the world. Boring races, ridiculous gadgets to try make it more bearable, hideous tracks in the ass of the world, awful looking cars, no testing meaning no chance for new talent to arrive unless you're contract to a team, strict rules that put it close to a spec series, engine freeze. Engine fucking freeze.

And fuck, having to ask permission to change your livery or your team name? Really?

I still watch it though, which is inconsistent on my part, but what the hell.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:55 pm 

Well spoken Gabriel. F1 sucks.

Open wheel racing as a whole is obsolete. It bears no relevance to anything else, no new technologies are being developed by them, to make them work in racing conditions you have to control them so much so they become spec series. All of them! Is there even one single open wheel championship that is anywhere close to being "free"?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F2 - designed to fill a gap in the junior motorsport ladder that didn't exist.

Superleague Formula - supposed to bring motorsport and football closer together when there was absolutely no need too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gabriel wrote:
I voted F1.

I just got fed up with all those that claim it's the best series in the world. Boring races, ridiculous gadgets to try make it more bearable, hideous tracks in the ass of the world, awful looking cars, no testing meaning no chance for new talent to arrive unless you're contract to a team, strict rules that put it close to a spec series, engine freeze. Engine fucking freeze.

And fuck, having to ask permission to change your livery or your team name? Really?

I still watch it though, which is inconsistent on my part, but what the hell.

Sadly I agree with a lot of that.