TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 884 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 545 Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:38 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd love to see both races hold a silent lap 77 in Dan's honor.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Memy Selfandi wrote:
Remember how NASCAR was going to open up the plates a little for this race?

Anyone wanna bet me that NASCAR won't be gun shy given the IRL tragedy and back pedal on that decision? IMO we will have a boring race to ensure safety with 99.999% probability.

I would not be surprised to see NASCAR close the plates right back to where they were this time two years ago.

I hope they don't, because that was a dangerous race too. Single file for 175 laps and then spacktacular for the final dozen or so.

I actually wouldn't give a shit if they did run two-by-two this weekend. Less chance of something going wrong.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:57 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I hope they cut the plates back from the current plate. Slow them down, I have been asking why they havent done so since Elliot sadlers MASIVE flip in 2003. His car was higher than ANY catchfence.. The cars take flight at 187 mph... we do not need them going 199-206 mph. Simple, we don't need cars acting like airplanes period. Thats just how I feel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

as long as they're not single file, I'm fine with any package.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:07 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Knee jerk reactions should not be implemented. Rational decisions have been made, and I sincerely hope they won't change a thing, despite last weekends tragic event. Because there's nothing that needs to be changed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cartman wrote:

I was surprised to see 42 trucks entered for Talladega after they've had some short fields for some of their recent races. I hope we have a great weekend of racing ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Snyderfunn wrote:
I have been asking why they havent done so since Elliot sadlers MASIVE flip in 2003. His car was higher than ANY catchfence..

No, he wasn't. The entire car wasn't 30 feet in the air. Calm down.

Letting them go a little faster means the cars can actually separate from each other a little, which means there's a much lower chance of a car being put in a situation where it can go airborne anyway because there will be fewer spins and fewer crashes. It's a balancing act. It's also why I HATE the tandem racing. Having someone driving blind while shoving another car is stupidly unsafe and WILL result in a horrific crash unless they can find a way to stop it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I definitely agree with knee-jerk reactions not being good... I mean, look at Loudon in 2000. A knee-jerk reaction to two freak accidents gave us restrictor plates on a flat race track, and one of the least eventful races we've ever seen.

I think (I *hope*) there won't be any rules changes during the weekend, but I would love to see tributes to Wheldon. The guy had a brief but incredible career, and at one point was even considering making a switch to stock cars; I don't know if he was for sure, but there was a test lined up once, I think, but it never materialized for one reason or another. I almost lost my composure during Amazing Grace on Sunday, but I probably will lose it if we see a tribute to Dan by the winning driver.

Dunno about you guys, but even though I'm a NASCAR fan first, I'm still in a daze over the weekend that was. I'm with everyone in hoping we see a good, clean race with no wrecks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Agree on the sentiments that a good safe race weekend is what's needed after last weekend, but since when do NASCAR implement rule changes because of what happens in a completely different form of racing? That's just a little bit ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:33 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Dan Belcher wrote:
Snyderfunn wrote:
I have been asking why they havent done so since Elliot sadlers MASIVE flip in 2003. His car was higher than ANY catchfence..

Letting them go a little faster means the cars can actually separate from each other a little, which means there's a much lower chance of a car being put in a situation where it can go airborne anyway because there will be fewer spins and fewer crashes. It's a balancing act. It's also why I HATE the tandem racing. Having someone driving blind while shoving another car is stupidly unsafe and WILL result in a horrific crash unless they can find a way to stop it.

So let them go faster, because they will spread out and we HOPE nothing goes wrong for a car to get airborne? What happens if a tire were to fail? A motor let go and somone get in the oil? Or god forbid contact is made... Come on man, we don't need cars going at speeds where we know they can take off. 187, proven is all it takes for a 3500 pound stock car to go sky ward. Letting them go over 200 is just insain. I say Less horspower, no plate... flat open at 165-175 like the good ol days, minus the lifting of cars off the ground = GOOD! Also... I may add, before ROOF FLAPS when the cars did go single file, even at the 175 mph speeds... they still got out of shape ALONE... and took flight. Just how I feel...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Snyderfunn wrote:
Dan Belcher wrote:
Snyderfunn wrote:

So let them go faster, because they will spread out and we HOPE nothing goes wrong for a car to get airborne? What happens if a tire were to fail? A motor let go and somone get in the oil? Or god forbid contact is made... Come on man, we don't need cars going at speeds where we know they can take off. 187, proven is all it takes for a 3500 pound stock car to go sky ward. Letting them go over 200 is just insain. I say Less horspower, no plate... flat open at 165-175 like the good ol days, minus the lifting of cars off the ground = GOOD! Also... I may add, before ROOF FLAPS when the cars did go single file, even at the 175 mph speeds... they still got out of shape ALONE... and took flight. Just how I feel...

I think instead of reducing horsepower, introducing more drag would be the way to go. Add a blade on the roof like in the 2000-2001 RP package. Reducing horsepower just further takes away the drivers ability to make a move. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:13 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

The 2000-2001 aero package owned.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:45 pm 

Snyderfunn wrote:
Dan Belcher wrote:
Snyderfunn wrote:

Cup cars achieve 190+ mph speeds at many tracks, you dolt. Namely, the "omg airbornez" threshold is achieved at Michigan, Fontana, Texas, Charlotte, Atlanta, Chicago, Las Vegas, Homestead, Kansas, Pocono, Indianapolis, Daytona, Talladega, and... am I missing any? Except for the last two, you don't see many "omg airbornez" at these tracks. Why? Because they don't race in packs or tandems where they get rapidly spun out from behind, you dolt.

What's to stop a tire from blowing going into turn 1 at Michigan, sending a car into the grandstands? Nothing. It's a risk we live with, you dolt. In fact, it almost happened once in 2000 with Elliot Sadler during practice. NASCAR didn't panic and slap restrictor plates on the cars then. Why in God's Earth would they panic NOW, after a non-aero airbornez wreck in another completely unrelated series?

My advice to you is to attempt to think a little before you open your mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Three "you dolt"'s in one post... that must be a record? :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh sweet Christ... NASCAR is not going to make any rule change or do any tribute for something that happened in a completely different series. It's ridiculous to think that one sanctioning body would make changes based on what happened in another sanctioning bodies event.

Every knee jerk that NASCAR has done has been because of something that happened in one of their series. Sheesh.

Sunday will be two car bullshit as usual since the teams are smarter than NASCAR and have probably all ready figured a way around the rule changes they've made to break them up.

Last edited by westracing01 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:28 pm 

Cars can still touch wheels, blow a tire, etc and get airbourne at 150 mph just as easy as they can at 200-240 mph. If its gonna happen its gonna happen. The only way to protect spectators is to not have any.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Has the COT even taken off in a spin since they changed the rear spoiler? I don't remember any cars getting anywhere near airborne at Dega and Daytona this year. I'm sure I'll be corrected though. :p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

From getting turned alone? Not that I can really think of.

Nobody is going to get airborne unless they get pushed over by another car. Nearly every airborne wreck I can think of in the past few years, the car that gets turned typically gets hit by another car or another car is in contact with them through the entire spin until they get off the ground.

-Allmendinger had about 5 cars bearing down on his car pushing him sideways.
-Newman started to spin down the track and was hammered by another car which propelled him over.
-Carl Edwards, same thing. Turned across Keselowski's nose, the car began to lift, and right before it sat back down was drilled by Ryan Newman, sending him higher and into the fence.
-Keselowski, he was turned at Atlanta, Edwards' car was in contact with him through the entire spin, effectively 'pushing' him up into the air.
-Mike Wallace earlier this year, turned in the middle of the back straight, started to spin up the track, but didn't go airborne until he was drilled by another car.
-Ron Hornaday, similar to Keselowski's flip, another truck was in contact with him through the duration of the spin until he finally went in the air.

Am I forgetting any?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:28 pm 

Same thing with casey mears at california in 2008. When he ended up on his roof. Oh michael mcdowell at texas barrel rolling after hitting the wall head on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:38 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Andre wrote:
Three "you dolt"'s in one post... that must be a record? :D

That is indeed a TBK record.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 884 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 545 Next