TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:55 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I like going to Belle Isle. I don't get doing it the week after the 500 and two weeks before the NASCAR race at MIS, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tommy Kendall will be part of the commentary team for NBC at Texas replacing Wally Dallenbach who's doing commentary for TNT's Nascar coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:46 pm 

Any news about Luca Filippi participation in the series?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gohel91 wrote:
Any news about Luca Filippi participation in the series?

He's waiting on sponsorship.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-filippi-searching-for-indycar-budget/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:53 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Indycar 36 episode with JR Hildebrand during the qualification weekend is online

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
New push to drop IndyCar aero kit plans

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100148

Car owners nowadays are too spoiled it seems. They are so used of the low cost of the last years (because of the use of the same car every freaking year) that they are against everything that could bring the series where it belongs...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Randy needs to consider the F2\A1GP route.

IndyCar owning all the cars, all the engines, all the aero kits, and the teams buying licenses to run whichever package they choose.

The dribbling malcontents can piss off, set up their own series and crash it into the ground (again) within 5 years.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Because that went soo well for A1GP.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

A1GP's problems stemmed from the fact that it was run by one moron (Texeira) being sold snake oil by another (Bahar). When the partnership was Sheikh Maktoum and Lola, there were no problems.

Barnard is not a moron. Neither is Mr. Dallara. Nor are either of the chief Chevrolet or Honda people. There would be no such problems for IndyCar, and it would put the teams in their place.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:26 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

That's the problem open wheel racing in the US has had since the split. The teams want the power - but that never works. Say what you want about Bernie, FIA and FOM, but they run a dictatorship because it works. If the teams don't like it, they have to GTFO. CCWS problem was nobody wanted to back down, then you had idiots like KK and Paul G making deals behind each others backs, getting what they wanted, whether it was good for the series or not.

Teams should be given no power. They are there to run in the series, and if they don't want to then they can leave - which they won't, because there isn't an alternative. IndyCar needs to put its foot down more often and tell them how it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:00 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

ellis wrote:
Teams should be given no power. They are there to run in the series, and if they don't want to then they can leave - which they won't, because there isn't an alternative. IndyCar needs to put its foot down more often and tell them how it is.

Conquest in ALMS, Andretti rumored to start a NASCAR team. There's another problem: there are alternatives.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:34 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeister wrote:
Tommy Kendall will be part of the commentary team for NBC at Texas replacing Wally Dallenbach who's doing commentary for TNT's Nascar coverage.

That's pretty cool, I did bring his name up a few pages back now as a potential co-commentator, amazed to see this actually happen!
That guy was great and outspoken as Champcar's co-commentator in 2004, until he crossed that Dick Gentalozzi who didn't like being criticised, so had him fired.
ellis wrote:
That's the problem open wheel racing in the US has had since the split. The teams want the power - but that never works. Say what you want about Bernie, FIA and FOM, but they run a dictatorship because it works. If the teams don't like it, they have to GTFO. CCWS problem was nobody wanted to back down, then you had idiots like KK and Paul G making deals behind each others backs, getting what they wanted, whether it was good for the series or not.

To be fair TG's plan for a (hilariously awful...) dictatorship was what set this whole thing in motion in the first place and started the teams off in their self destructive quest for personal power, so you have to have the right person or people in charge too.

But you're right, when there's even a slight hint of personal gain involved in motorsport, democracy just doesn't work and you need a powerful guy everyone respects and even fears calling the shots.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:47 pm 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

codename_47 wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

That's pretty cool, I did bring his name up a few pages back now as a potential co-commentator, amazed to see this actually happen!
That guy was great and outspoken as Champcar's co-commentator in 2004, until he crossed that Dick Gentalozzi who didn't like being criticised, so had him fired.
ellis wrote:

To be fair TG's plan for a (hilariously awful...) dictatorship was what set this whole thing in motion in the first place and started the teams off in their self destructive quest for personal power, so you have to have the right person or people in charge too.

But you're right, when there's even a slight hint of personal gain involved in motorsport, democracy just doesn't work and you need a powerful guy everyone respects and even fears calling the shots.

Like Bernie?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:08 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yeah, pretty much.

The danger is F1 itself will fall into this kind of anarchy when Satan finally calls in that deal Bernie did with him about 60 or so years ago....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Yeah, pretty much.

The danger is F1 itself will fall into this kind of anarchy when Satan finally calls in that deal Bernie did with him about 60 or so years ago....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
Yeah, pretty much.

It already is. Look at the posturing going on over the new Concorde Agreement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speed.com running a story now on how team owners are rejecting body kits.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 am 
The most anticipated member

RtN wrote:
Barnard is not a moron. Neither is Mr. Dallara. Nor are either of the chief Chevrolet or Honda people. There would be no such problems for IndyCar, and it would put the teams in their place.

I think IndyCar should've never accepted the monopoly plan presented by Dallara, what makes automatically Barnard and Dallara two "morons" altogether. That's bad for the sport, they're trying to make a timeless monopoly on IndyCar. Everybody knew that the aero kit idea, though ideologically good, would represent an excessive increase of costs, as a result of that teams will keep not wanting to adopt the kit (teams are trying to deny the kit for another year) and Dallara reigns alone again in the series chassis. I think that was a strategic miscalculation that level down the series.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eh? What are you on? It was always going to be one car manufacturer whoever won.

The plan was to allow others to build aerokits, Indycar didn't make a monopoly, the teams are seemingly trying to create one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:00 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Heaven forfend that Randy wanted some sort of equipment battle without it spiralling into an all-out development war.

Even with the kits, IndyCar costs an absolute pittance to run compared to either F1 or NASCAR. If Andretti wants to spend the same money and run 10 laps in NASCAR every weekend, that's his prerogative.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81108 Next