TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 175 76 77 78 79108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Wait, do we even know how the new cars are going to race on a high-banked oval?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:40 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

DW41183 wrote:
Okay well, my point being, if that is the consensus or opinion of everyone involved... Why didn't the drivers get together like CART's race at Texas and not get in the car and take the green? They knew the risk as soon as they put the helmet on and agreed. Texas also had practice and qualifying and they knew what to expect and called it. IndyCar knew what to expect, and the drivers let it happen.

There's a slight difference in the two situations. CART cancelled the race on the advice of doctors who said drivers' bodies could not tolerate sustained loads of more than 4.5G (drivers were being subjected to 5G for between 14-18 seconds of the 23 seconds lap). Patrick Carpentier was suffering vertigo-like symptons and couldn't walk in a straight line for 4 minutes after getting out of the car.

Las Vegas' main safety concern was the pack running due to the aerodyamics of the cars and relative lack of power. This meant that any driver error would wipe out half the field, but was not affecting the drivers by subjecting them to high G forces for prolonged periods of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is crazy for anyone to compare the Las Vegas situation with any other. What happened before, during and after Las Vegas was totally unique. And the call to halt / cancel the race was the right one.

Let's remember that the Las Vegas race had been heavily promoted for countless months on the run up. It was title showdown. It was the big money winner takes all event. It was, outside the 500, the showpiece event of the season as well as the final bow of the old Dallara chassis.

The publicity that was generated by this event and the hype surrounding not only the money on offer for a non-series regular winning the event plus mega-popular Indy 500 winner Wheldon being on the grid was immense. Then add in the fact that many people had voiced concerns about the safety of the race, the venue and having non-series regulars on the grid.

When the accident occured it was a sense of "I told you so" and to lose a driver who was a friend to most in the paddock, plus a fans favourite was a real kick in balls. Plus the race was barely a few laps old.

Because of the attention focused upon this race, there was no alternative but to finish the event at that point.

Any suggestion to the opposite is not only callous was completely ignorant to the uniqueness of situation. It is not comparable to any other death during a race in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:08 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

You're absolutely spot on, kals.

Also, the organizers didn't really think that Vegas would be so much different compared to Texas, both being 1.5 mile high-banked ovals. The racing at Texas last year wasn't that much pack racing, it was quite dull event. They didn't think that cars could be flat in Vegas on multiple driving lines and keep on running in one big pack as long as they did.

It's easy to say with a hindsight that the only way the race could have ended was a big one. And unlike any other big ones in the series before, this just kept multiplying and getting bigger, it almost seemed to take forever and getting worse and worse. The crash started in T1 and some cars ended up in T3. Nearly everyone behind the first two cars, that started the crash, were involved. It was clear indicator that continuing the race was not an option at all. Maybe Mario didn't see that crash or he didn't understand the physics behind it. Maybe he didn't realize that the track surface was damaged, as were the fencing and the safer barriers. Had the race been continued, the rest of the drivers would have went through the same all over again. That was not racing and saying that they should have raced after the crash was a stupid request. There was not racing in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:38 pm 

Another huge contributing factor that allowed the race to be called was the championship. Will Power was in the crash, and Dario wasn't so the title showdown was worthless. Even if the race went on, Dario won.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's totally irrelevant.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:41 pm 

I pose this question to you guys. You're obviously very passionate on your stance of Las Vegas. Rewind to the 2012 Indy 500. Mike Conway gets a little higher up on the fence, hits his head, dies. Do we cancel the Indianapolis 500, one which had been arguably the most competitive up to that point? This event has more history than Las Vegas for sure, but the hype before them both about what a great race and passing and big speeds we would see. Do we park the cars in the pits, fix the fence, have everyone sit around for the announcement both in the heat at the track and on tv watching and then send everyone home?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:42 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Agree with everything kals & Niko said. But as well as that, it was fortunate that we 'only' lost Wheldon in that race when you look at the enormity of it. Several more drivers could have died.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm 

kals wrote:
That's totally irrelevant.

I don't think it is, with a large amount of money on the line and contracts that are signed, sponsors, etc. There are many more requirements on professional racing, obligations to be met, than just you and i racing hobby stocks out of our garage and saying fuck it, lets go home. We don't have to answer to anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:44 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

DW41183 wrote:
I pose this question to you guys. You're obviously very passionate on your stance of Las Vegas. Rewind to the 2012 Indy 500. Mike Conway gets a little higher up on the fence, hits his head, dies. Do we cancel the Indianapolis 500, one which had been arguably the most competitive up to that point? Do we park the cars in the pits, fix the fence, have everyone sit around for the announcement and then send everyone home?

Well Conway crashed at the end of the race, so they couldn't cancel it. However had it happened at the start of the race and his condition had been clear, then yes,, you do exactly the same as IndyCar did at Las Vegas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 pm 

ellis wrote:
DW41183 wrote:
I pose this question to you guys. You're obviously very passionate on your stance of Las Vegas. Rewind to the 2012 Indy 500. Mike Conway gets a little higher up on the fence, hits his head, dies. Do we cancel the Indianapolis 500, one which had been arguably the most competitive up to that point? Do we park the cars in the pits, fix the fence, have everyone sit around for the announcement and then send everyone home?

Well Conway crashed at the end of the race, so they couldn't cancel it. However had it happened at the start of the race and his condition had been clear, then yes,, you do exactly the same as IndyCar did at Las Vegas.

No I mean 2012.. this year.. when he and Power crashed just before halfway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:49 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

As I said, yes. Had Conway died in that then yes, you call the end to the race.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DW41183 wrote:
I pose this question to you guys. You're obviously very passionate on your stance of Las Vegas.

It's not passion but common sense. The points you keep using to discuss your stance are irrelevant and despite multiple people pointing that out to you, you keep coming back with further irrelevant points.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:56 pm 

kals wrote:
DW41183 wrote:
I pose this question to you guys. You're obviously very passionate on your stance of Las Vegas.

It's not passion but common sense. The points you keep using to discuss your stance are irrelevant and despite multiple people pointing that out to you, you keep coming back with further irrelevant points.

If it was common sense, the race would have never ran in the first place.

The points i am trying to discuss are to show things that nobody things of or considers. Everyone seems to have a one track mind that, Dan died. Cancel the race, cancel the series, tear down las vegas, indycars on ovals aren't real racing. I do see your side of it as well, and obviously nothing can change what happened, people are just discussing what else could have happened and what precedences had been set. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong, Dan's dead and the race never restarted. It's history. I'm not trying to come back with anything irrelevant, just have an open minded debate with closed minded people. I won't comment on it any further. Thanks for discussing it with me though! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DW41183 wrote:
Everyone seems to have a one track mind that, Dan died. Cancel the race, cancel the series, tear down las vegas, indycars on ovals aren't real racing.

:?

Seriously, where are you reading this?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:09 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
DW41183 wrote:
Everyone seems to have a one track mind that, Dan died. Cancel the race, cancel the series, tear down las vegas, indycars on ovals aren't real racing.

:?

Seriously, where are you reading this?

He isn't. He's just on a rant and it doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

He's already decided that he's right and everyone else is completely and utterly wrong. Really no point in trying to continue with this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The world may be a horrible place to live in and the people that walk on it may be some of the worst species in the history of life, but if there's one thing that we have improved in is respecting death, and motorsport has been taking large steps to do so.

Long gone are the times when someone died and the "keep stiff upper lip" attitude was normal. Money isn't everything.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I cannot believe we are actually having a debate wether or on Vegas should have been canceled. Seriously DW, you'll get the same reply over and over again from all the members here, so let's discuss something more relevant about IndyCar or about the owners turning into a lynch mob.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:58 pm 

It actually stemmed from the lynch mob as one of the sticking points was Mario wanting to continue the race and because they didn't he dislikes Randy and is part of the overthrow attempts.

Speaking of.. now I know what it feels like to be Randy Bernard!:D :D :lol: I know I will, thats why i said it's over! On to Detroit!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 175 76 77 78 79108 Next