TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41108 Next

Who is the better driver?
Dario Franchitti 20%  20%  [ 18 ]
Mark Plourde 80%  80%  [ 74 ]
Total votes: 92
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This is going to be a long shot.

Back when I was a kid, Indy TV channel 23 use to run these little half hour programs that recapped old Indy 500's from probably 1955 on. I THINK Bob Jenkins use to narrate or it might of been Mike King or someone associated with the Speedway in the 90's. They use to cut to interviews with Roger Ward or AJ Foyt or whoever in the present day talking about that race. Does Anyone have a clue what I am talking about? I have no idea if these only aired in Indy or if they were in some kind of syndication package.

I really want to say Bob Jenkins narrated it but I just can't remember.

I remember them airing in 1995 and 1996 on Saturday mornings. Fuck Cartoons at that point! I had those little Indy 500 recap shows, Racin With D.O, and Rick Benjamin s recap show, might of been called This Week in Motorsports? Then a NASCAR show hosted by Dave Despain aired for a while. God I miss those days.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:04 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

i would love it if someone had those and would cap and post them here :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:44 am 
Head Muppet

Was it called something like Legends of the Brickyard or Race for Heroes?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm 

Chris D wrote:

Yes. Legends of the Brickyard was basically the official Speedway highlight films and added some narration from Bob Jenkins and Larry Nuber, packaged for ESPN originally I believe.
Race for Heroes was also a 1980s / 1990s ESPN program, focusing on one driver, not necessarily completely all Indianapolis.

You got a similar feel out of the Indianapolis 500 Legacy Series DVD they released in 2005, I guess that's out of print now.

Strange that nothing from that is uploaded on Youtube, but I guess people would rather upload full races.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:01 pm 
Head Muppet

electrodevo wrote:
Chris D wrote:

Yes. Legends of the Brickyard was basically the official Speedway highlight films and added some narration from Bob Jenkins and Larry Nuber, packaged for ESPN originally I believe.
Race for Heroes was also a 1980s / 1990s ESPN program, focusing on one driver, not necessarily completely all Indianapolis.

You got a similar feel out of the Indianapolis 500 Legacy Series DVD they released in 2005, I guess that's out of print now.

Strange that nothing from that is uploaded on Youtube, but I guess people would rather upload full races.

I think the Speedway still has the Legacy Series DVDs in their gift shop online.

I'd definitely recommend getting radio broadcasts of the race if you want to get another off season Indy fix.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:47 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

yes! now that you said the name "legends of the brickyard" i remember it now. someone here has to have them right?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:01 pm 
Head Muppet

sennadesillva wrote:
yes! now that you said the name "legends of the brickyard" i remember it now. someone here has to have them right?

My dad has a crapload of VHS tapes in our back room. During the summer I might go back there and convert some to DVD and possibly post them. I think it's probably Race for Glory, but I haven't seen the shows in almost 15 years.

If someone could tell me a cheap way to copy a copy-protected tape to dvd, they'd be on the top of my christmas card list, since there's an Indy VHS I really want to copy over.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:05 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Chris D wrote:
sennadesillva wrote:

My dad has a crapload of VHS tapes in our back room. During the summer I might go back there and convert some to DVD and possibly post them. I think it's probably Race for Glory, but I haven't seen the shows in almost 15 years.

If someone could tell me a cheap way to copy a copy-protected tape to dvd, they'd be on the top of my christmas card list, since there's an Indy VHS I really want to copy over.

I'm not sure, but maybe a small business photoshop can make you a "backup" of VHS as a DVD? Just tell them they are private collections and has sentimental value or something...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris D wrote:
sennadesillva wrote:

If you have a PC with a TV input card you should be able to plug the VCR in via antenna cable, play the tape and record the output on the PC as a video file. Funnily enough I need to do the same thing today to convert an old family home video, so I'll soon see if this works.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Chris D wrote:
sennadesillva wrote:

If you have a PC with a TV input card you should be able to plug the VCR in via antenna cable, play the tape and record the output on the PC as a video file. Funnily enough I need to do the same thing today to convert an old family home video, so I'll soon see if this works.

Yeah, i've used this method before, although you have to get an adaptor for the audio if you don't have RCA ports. Apart from that, as long as you have software to record the video (the standard software that comes with the card should do it), you should be able to capture it fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

sennadesillva wrote:

Great series, I have the 75 to 89 episodes (there should be a few more, I believe). Haven't seen them all yet, got up to the end 70s I believe, but makes a good watch :) Indy 500 The Classics is good too, a few of their episodes cover a few more years.

Best Indy documentary is Faces of Speed, covering 1957 to 1971 with commentary from Donald Davidson :)

electrodevo wrote:
Chris D wrote:

I do know that they're around. A friend of mine has these episodes from A Race For Heroes:

Code:
A Race For Heroes: A.J. Foyt
A Race For Heroes: Tom Sneva
A Race For Heroes: Mario Andretti
A Race For Heroes: Mauri Rose
A Race For Heroes: The Bettenhausens
A Race For Heroes: Bill Vukovich
A Race For Heroes: Al Unser, Jr.
A Race For Heroes: Troy Ruttman
A Race For Heroes: Emerson Fittipaldi
A Race For Heroes: Louis Meyer
A Race For Heroes: Sam Hanks
A Race For Heroes: Wilbur Shaw
A Race For Heroes: Dan Gurney
A Race For Heroes: Roger Penske
A Race For Heroes: Mark Donohue
A Race For Heroes: Bobby Rahal
A Race For Heroes: The British Invasion
A Race For Heroes: Al Unser, Sr.
A Race For Heroes: Arie Luyendyk

Hidden Heroes is a superb series too altough it covers any kind of US racing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:23 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

I'd love to see those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1Peter wrote:
They needa get rid of the blocking rule.

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izo ... -blocking/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

welcome to 9 days ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:30 am 

Chris D wrote:
I think the Speedway still has the Legacy Series DVDs in their gift shop online.

You're right, silly me for checking standard DVD sites first. :headslap:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:11 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Beaux Barfield's mission to revamp the blocking rule: leave it untouched, but the hell with TGBB's definition of blocking!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:33 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Beaux Barfield's mission to revamp the blocking rule: leave it untouched, but the hell with TGBB's definition of blocking!

Well, to be honest, I think Barfield has a point there. FIA allows one change of line, everything else is concidered as blocking. But take a look of what Schumacher got away with at Monza last season. If the race control makes good calls, we still get entertaining racing without penalties.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I never understood why is it so hard to clear up that damn blocking rule. ONE line change, that's it. Defend your inside, but if you go back outside to block than get the penalty. Very simple imo.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:51 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

exactly, nearly every other single road racing type series have the similar rules, why not Indycar?

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2158 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41108 Next