TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 167 68 69 70 7174 Next
 Post subject: Re: Indycar @ Vegas
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:23 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
She's shocked that the commentators are unsurprised about the magnitude of the accident.

Welcome to auto racing, you dumb bitch.

She's probably shocked about the consequences that texting while driving might have even in cruising speeds.

---------

BTW, Does anyone have a working Versus stream.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I can - just about - understand people disliking motorsport, especially if they spend their days mating with trees.

However, people underestimate the money involved in motorsport, the joy it brings to competitors and fans AND the fact that it employs hundreds of thousands of people globally.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:11 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

phil1993 wrote:
I can - just about - understand people disliking motorsport, especially if they spend their days mating with trees.

However, people underestimate the money involved in motorsport, the joy it brings to competitors and fans AND the fact that it employs hundreds of thousands of people globally.

And how many lives has racing saved in time. People take everyday safety equipment on road cars as granted, but nearly all of it comes from racing. Like rear view mirror, seat belts and disc brakes for example.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ABS, Traction Control...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:15 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Those funeral pictures are so depressing, fellow race drivers carrying their friend on his last stint. And a widow of a race driver.

Seeing Tony, Dario and other popular racing drivers carrying a friend/fellow racer did a lot to me. Dan was someone we talked about through the years and was part of our motorsport-world we follow every day. Even 11 years after Greg's death we remember him and what we were doing when he died. When I ask some friends of mine who Greg Moore was they don't know, they also didn't know Dan till sunday evening and they will forget very soon.

Like you said before, it's hard to tell people around us what this tragedy means to us, they won't understand because they didn't know him. We didn't know him personally either, but we did follow him and all the other drivers week in and week out. It's not just a race car driver that gets killed, he was a real person with a real life. And it's hard to see his wife and kids being left alone and a father who has to burry his son of which he was so proud...

Lets keep the Wheldons in our thoughts and let's hope we won't ever have to see a driver carrying a friend on his last trip...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

amq55 wrote:
Would love to hear Dixon's tribute.

For some reason Scott hasn't been quoted by any media despite being one of Dan's best friends

and those funeral pictures brought a tear to my eye, so bloody sad :( this time last week I was watching an interview on youtube with Dan talking about his qualy......... shows how fast things can happen

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:30 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gallie wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Those funeral pictures are so depressing, fellow race drivers carrying their friend on his last stint. And a widow of a race driver.

Seeing Tony, Dario and other popular racing drivers carrying a friend/fellow racer did a lot to me. Dan was someone we talked about through the years and was part of our motorsport-world we follow every day. Even 11 years after Greg's death we remember him and what we were doing when he died. When I ask some friends of mine who Greg Moore was they don't know, they also didn't know Dan till sunday evening and they will forget very soon.

Like you said before, it's hard to tell people around us what this tragedy means to us, they won't understand because they didn't know him. We didn't know him personally either, but we did follow him and all the other drivers week in and week out. It's not just a race car driver that gets killed, he was a real person with a real life. And it's hard to see his wife and kids being left alone and a father who has to burry his son of which he was so proud...

Lets keep the Wheldons in our thoughts and let's hope we won't ever have to see a driver carrying a friend on his last trip...

I think you put in way better in words than what I did. In a way Dan was part of our lives on weekly basis for many years and beside that, many of us has read and watched the highlights (and also the lowlights) from the history of racing. We thought that the future is fast but somewhat safe, but now it's history repeating itself. And here comes the community part. Motorsports enthusiasts around the world know the facts and enjoy this sports. When things like this happens, it stops all of us and we have to take that reality check, while the rest of the world keeps going like nothing ever happened. It is not just that we have to witness a tragedy, but as motorsports is a big part of our everyday lives, we have to stop and think, how we actually live our lives. What is that drives us? Is it worth of it? Are we doing the right thing? At least I have questioned my actions lately and my reasoning behind it. Motorsports means a lot to me, I don't really see myself living without getting involved in motorsports in someways.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/in ... 50869962/1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mike King has posted 2 audio Interviews with Dan, One from just after his 1st win at indy & a 2nd from January this year:
http://plus.autosport.com/free/feature/ ... own-words/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Juihi wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2011-10-22/dan-wheldon-funeral/50869962/1

I press play, first thing I see is one of Marcel's videos.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Is there anyway to buy the memorial stickers?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:08 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gabriel wrote:
Juihi wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/story/2011-10-22/dan-wheldon-funeral/50869962/1

I press play, first thing I see is one of Marcel's videos.

hadn't noticed that :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:46 am 

Is it just me thinking that Helio Castroneves has been the least "touched" by the crash?

He was in the pits during the red flag smiling, almost laughing, and it seemed couldn't wait to get back on track. Then after the death was announced he gave another interview then the camera stayed on him super-long, waiting for him to maybe go into "sad-mode", but he just kept looking at the camera, more amused than annoyed or upset. Then he hops on a plane and is off to Australia for the V8s. Misses the funeral and probably the memorial Sunday in Indy.

I'm not criticizing the guy because he's entitled to do and feel whatever he wants but it just seems everyone else is taking this pretty hard because I think they realize that not only did they lose Dan, but they lost a 2x Indy500 champion, the current Indy500 champion, the Vegas godaddy challenge thing was a big public backfire, the season ended on a massive downer and the future of the series got violently rocked. Many drivers on twitter have said they are having problems sleeping ever since last Sunday, meanwhile it seems for Helio it's just another day.

Maybe it will hit him when he comes back to America?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:58 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Might have just caught him at a bad point. Dario also shown on camera for a few seconds laughing with his crew. Then the next time we seen him, he was in tears putting his helmet on. Hell, it was maybe them just having a good joke about Dan. "Remember when he pranked you?" or something.

The bad thing abut TV is it isn't the full story.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ellis wrote:
The bad thing abut TV is it isn't the full story.

Agreed, you can't judge Helio purely on what you saw on some select snippets on TV

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

rhashana wrote:
Is it just me thinking that Helio Castroneves has been the least "touched" by the crash?

He was in the pits during the red flag smiling, almost laughing, and it seemed couldn't wait to get back on track. Then after the death was announced he gave another interview then the camera stayed on him super-long, waiting for him to maybe go into "sad-mode", but he just kept looking at the camera, more amused than annoyed or upset. Then he hops on a plane and is off to Australia for the V8s. Misses the funeral and probably the memorial Sunday in Indy.

I'm not criticizing the guy because he's entitled to do and feel whatever he wants but it just seems everyone else is taking this pretty hard because I think they realize that not only did they lose Dan, but they lost a 2x Indy500 champion, the current Indy500 champion, the Vegas godaddy challenge thing was a big public backfire, the season ended on a massive downer and the future of the series got violently rocked. Many drivers on twitter have said they are having problems sleeping ever since last Sunday, meanwhile it seems for Helio it's just another day.

Maybe it will hit him when he comes back to America?

You've said some pretty insensitive stuff in this thread, but that takes the cake. Everyone reacts their own way to tragedy, and personally it really shits me when someone tries to judge how someone else mourns from their outward appearance. I'm sure when you lose someone close you'll know the "right" way to behave.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Philthy82 wrote:
You've said some pretty insensitive stuff in this thread, but that takes the cake. Everyone reacts their own way to tragedy, and personally it really shits me when someone tries to judge how someone else mourns from their outward appearance. I'm sure when you lose someone close you'll know the "right" way to behave.

I was thinking the same as well

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:27 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Yeah, it's not acceptable to judge other person's grief, especially from short tv shots. We don't really know Helio and we don't know if the cold fact had hit him on the track side already or not. And even if it had, there's some drivers and people that don't like to show their real emotions in public. In 70's and 80's race drivers kept their game face on to hold it together and get back racing after someone lost his life, which happened few times a year.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

From the Gold Coast 600 yesterday where Dan should've been racing this weekend:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.co ... debar=true

They've currently got kids singing Jerusalem.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 167 68 69 70 7174 Next