TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 159 60 61 62 6374 Next
 Post subject: Re: Indycar @ Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm 

I think there are two things being missed here with what happened. It appeared to me that the roll hoop was damaged and weakened from the intial flips and possible hit with the wall before the fence tore it off. It also seems his head hit the wall along with the fence. Raising the walls would not have helped in this kind of incident, if anything, it may have done the same exact thing.

This was one of those freak accidents, that sadly took the life of a great young man. He will be greatly missed. =(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:48 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The most shocking thing about it for me is after the Texas double header was so shitty, racing quality wise, I went into this weekend kind of lowering my expectations expecting to see another new event promoted heavily by the IRL off the track and not living up to expectations on it.

Even when the race started I was still thinking "this won't last", but not in a morbid "here comes a crash" way, more that the tyres wouldn't last and we'd be back to a single file procession soon enough

Then the crash happened and I felt sick...:(

It's saddening to hear the drivers really weren't happy about racing at Vegas.

Maybe now they'll realise if they're not happy about anything they should get together and talk about it.
To hell with the bravado attitude, to hell with speaking out against the series, of all the people who'd know about the sutibility of the track and those cars, it'll be them so they should damn well be listened to!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:55 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

No matter what has happend... one thing is for sure. Just like when Dale Earnhardt died in 2001, NASCAR made a 360 change on saftey, and because of his death, they made the safer walls for EVERYONE and made safer cars. IRL will follow suit and do the same thing. I only say this, because Dan was a hudge name to IRL, and with all ALL the drivers saying it is NOT safe on the big oval tracks, ETC. The media covrage on Dan's death will bring changes to IRL as we know it. Maybe his death will change the way tracks make saftey catch fences? Who knows.. but I expect over the years to come, big changes to openwheel racing in general.

After Jeff Bodines crash at daytona in 2000, they changed the trucks. They used to be able to pop wheelies if they hit the tires at the right angle. Maybe IRL will put saftey guards on the wheels, so they can not lock and launch? Who knows... This situation just sucks all together. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:59 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Snyderfunn wrote:
No matter what has happend... one thing is for sure. Just like when Dale Earnhardt died in 2001, NASCAR made a 360 change on saftey, and because of his death, they made the safer walls for EVERYONE and made safer cars. IRL will follow suit and do the same thing. I only say this, because Dan was a hudge name to IRL, and with all ALL the drivers saying it is NOT safe on the big oval tracks, ETC. The media covrage on Dan's death will bring changes to IRL as we know it. Maybe his death will change the way tracks make saftey catch fences? Who knows.. but I expect over the years to come, big changes to openwheel racing in general.

Not to be a dick, but it's the complete opposite in regards to the SAFER Barriers. They were funded by IRL and installed at IRL tracks as early as 2002. It took until 2006 for NASCAR to finish getting them into their own ovals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:16 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

True, but NASCAR did make HANS mandatory after Dale's accident and the CoT is quite possibly the safest closed wheel car in the world.

I read the Times, and they did quite well today; a page in the Register, two pages in Sport, and another page after that on what it means for IndyCar (the 'Senna moment').

I hope they don't go down the F1 route after Senna died. That was a massive kneejerk that took years to put right, and judging by the response that some of the run-off areas on new tracks get, maybe it's not been put right entirely. NASCAR had a far better and more composed response and that is what IndyCar need to do now.

Frankly, I don't think there's much they can do, short of the common sense of not running on the bowl circuits, not running 34 cars (although that accident would've happened even with the 28 they usually have, there was absolutely no give and far too much take for that early in a race), introducing a licensing system (tell the Saavedras and Visos of the field to race lawnmowers or something), and maybe have some sort of investigation into whether catch fencing is the best option to do the jobs that are required of it. There was very little wheel-to-wheel overlapping on Sunday, it was just cars running right over the back of one another, so I don't think there's much they can do to the cars. Anything that can be done will have hopefully already been addressed in the design of the DW001.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was certainly a huge lack of patience leading up to the crash. They should realise that it is a long race and trying three or four wide that early isn't going to get you the win.

I think for lesser experienced drivers, they should have a minimum experience of oval races in the lower formula. An Indy style rookies program and have the experienced drivers there to guide them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
The most shocking thing about it for me is after the Texas double header was so shitty, racing quality wise, I went into this weekend kind of lowering my expectations expecting to see another new event promoted heavily by the IRL off the track and not living up to expectations on it.

When Jeff and I were driving up to Toledo for the ARCA race this weekend, we were talking about Vegas, and Jeff was worried there was going to be a terrible crash. I told him I hoped they would get strung out single file like they did at Texas. It'd be a boring race, but at least we'd make it through the last race with these horrible crapwagons and be done with the season. No such luck. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think I've finally figured out what's been bothering me about this crash the most. The shear, unadulterated, brutal violence of it. We've all seen horrifying crashes, but none of us have ever seen anything like what we saw on Sunday. That's the part I can't get over. We'll get past Dan's death and we'll remember what a great driver he was. In a few years his memory and deeds on the track will be spoken with reverance, as they are now. He's all ready been imortalized with many of the other greats on the Borg Warner Trophy and that's something that we'll all be able to remember. In 25 years at the 125th anniversary of the Indy 500 we'll all be able to say where we were when we saw the late, great Dan Wheldon come from nowhere to win the 100th anniversary race. His name will be spoken in the same manner as the other legends of the Brickyard.

But for right now, it hurts because he was taken from us, his wife and family, far too soon in an accident that was so unbelievably violent that it pales in comparison to anything else you can think of. And that my TBK friends, is what is so disturbing about this crash. That's what I, and I think a lot of us, are having a hard time coming to grips with. We've always said it was possible, but until we actually saw the worst it could be, I'm not sure any of us really believed that it could be that bad. I know I didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:47 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

westracing01 wrote:
I think I've finally figured out what's been bothering me about this crash the most. The shear, unadulterated, brutal violence of it. We've all seen horrifying crashes, but none of us have ever seen anything like what we saw on Sunday. That's the part I can't get over. We'll get past Dan's death and we'll remember what a great driver he was. In a few years his memory and deeds on the track will be spoken with reverance, as they are now. He's all ready been imortalized with many of the other greats on the Borg Warner Trophy and that's something that we'll all be able to remember. In 25 years at the 125th anniversary of the Indy 500 we'll all be able to say where we were when we saw the late, great Dan Wheldon come from nowhere to win the 100th anniversary race. His name will be spoken in the same manner as the other legends of the Brickyard.

But for right now, it hurts because he was taken from us, his wife and family, far too soon in an accident that was so unbelievably violent that it pales in comparison to anything else you can think of. And that my TBK friends, is what is so disturbing about this crash. That's what I, and I think a lot of us, are having a hard time coming to grips with. We've always said it was possible, but until we actually saw the worst it could be, I'm not sure any of us really believed that it could be that bad. I know I didn't.

Agree with this. Its great to have this community here so we can all share our feelings. Since the start of 2010 - in all series - there have been some monumental crashes and everyone's walked away (or at least, not suffered fatal injuries) so I think that somehow makes it worse.

Just watched that last lap at Indy again and well, maybe that happened for a reason.

And yes, the brutality of the crash just makes it so much worse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:40 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

westracing01 wrote:
...an accident that was so unbelievably violent that it pales in comparison to anything else you can think of.

Sorry to be picky, but I'm sure you meant every other accident pales in comparison to this accident.

But, yeah, I do agree with your post. I can't seem to shake the mental image if those cars piling into the accident, flying through the air like unguided missiles. It was shocking.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It was horrible, and certainly the worst accident I've ever seen. As someone who was sat watching Fontana in October 1999, I never thought I'd say that about another crash.

Glad Tony Kanaan isn't retiring. He's been through Greg Moore and now he's lost another friend. If there's any justice in the world he'll be the guy to take over Dan's crown of reigning Indy 500 champion next May.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I wasn't watching motorsports until 2003/4, so this is certainly the worst crash I've ever seen, no doubt about it. Just the sheer violence of it, the debris, flames and number of cars involved. Horrible. Re-lived it so many times in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:03 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I definitely agree with Westracing01 and Phil1993. Wheldon will be remembered for long, his trick at Indy this year was amazing, two years the runner up and now he came from out of nowhere to win the centennial race. Real racer.

Now, the other thing. It is so sad that like Phil1993 said, there's been many insanely massive crashes during the last two years, mindboggling flips and destruction and yet everyone has lived to tell the tale. Many people said that this won't last, racers everywhere around the world take huge chances and walk away by pure luck. Many racers have said already that there's so much people feeling that they might get injured in serious accidents, but not dying. It's truly an awful reality check for every racer in the world. Death is still present in the sports.

Two other things that I've been wondering today: media and the accident itself.

I hate it so much how the mainstream media is taking this. I remember a few years back when a football player suffered a stroke and died on the field, it wasn't shown on the sports news as it would have shocked the viewers and was concidered rather tastless. They rather tell about the promising player, his family and his achievements in life and he'll be missed by football community. Now when a racer dies, the articles are like "Indy 500-champ dies in big pile-up" where at least Finnish media used rather disgusting terms for pile-up and the description word on it that I cannot translate that well. Maybe a word spectacular would be close, which is awful sensational term from rather conservative news channel. Also all they are showing is the violent crash from multiple angles cut like for a movie scene and all they tell is that he was the only driver that was offered the chance to win huge prize money and Kimi Räikkönen was one of the drivers that was wanted for this event. No respect what so ever for Dan Wheldon. They ended the bit by saying that "the new champion Dario Franchitti cried openly the loss of a fellow countryman" and that's it, "good night folks".

Now, in what part it is ok to show the racing accident that kills a driver, but it is not ok to show a dead football player? Who the f*ck can justify that? I don't even want to go on tabloid journalism with this or their internet forums, when concervative news media takes this route. So far I've only read autosport articles about Wheldon, because the sensational journalism is so f*cked up. This has only showed me that how many f*cked up people there are in the world, that want to go on and throw their sh*t on the dead, no matter if it's a celebrity or sportsman. Thank God we have this forum, where people understand this sports and pays the respect that should be paid when someone passes away. Relative or a sportsman you have or have not met or know before, it doesn't matter to me, it's a tragedy and people should keep that first in their minds before shouting out their ideas about how things are.

Now for the accident itself and I'm sorry if I sound harsh at here. I have the highest respect on Dan Wheldon and his family and friends, my language might not be that clean as something might get lost in translation, but I say all of the following with all the respect and don't want to go boasting with this at all. Like Westracing01 said, what probably bothers us the most here, is the sheer brutal violency of the crash. We've seen a car go into fencing before and it's always scary, but now it was different. There was so many cars getting involved, destroyed into pieces in seconds, burning and flying around. You couldn't tell how many cars were involved or keep your eye on all of it. It all went so over the top of our heads, over anything we've seen before or had ever imagined what might happen under this kind of conditions. No one wanted to see that and many feared that it might happen. I had hope for Dan to survive for all the way about 15 minutes before the official announcement. Hope and probably a bit of denial, eventhough I saw quite early that rollbar of the car was gone and the kevlar coated fuel cell behind drivers head was clearly visible as was the engine's red heads. After thinking about all of that for two days, I have some sort of feeling that it doesn't matter if the head trauma was caused by direct impact or just the forces of the impact. Kenny Bräck survived over 220G's in his accident at Texas 2003. I can imagine that similar forces destroyed the rollbar near Wheldon's helmet with such impact angle, that just the sudden deceleration was unsurvivable. This might have been the case with any kind of race car in such extreme conditions. Many have said that they saw black mark on Wheldon's helmet on those close up pictures. I believe people refer on the dark area over left side of the visor. If you watch the onboard interview from warm up lap, you could tell that this part of helmet was black already.

I don't like to speculate about this anymore, it doesn't make any difference anymore. I just don't want to see this type of crashes anymore, it just feels so hard to bear. I had so many thoughts about giving up watching motorsports after this and giving up driving snowmobiles, that's the most dangerous hobby that I have and I've really pushed my luck with it, even cheated death in two big accidents I've had. It's really a moment that stops you to think about how short life is and how fast it can take the cruel twist to a premature end. These are the things some of us and some of the professional race drives around the world have gone through after the loss of Dan Wheldon. Everything seems to be fine, life's playing the high note and in a blink of an eye it's all gone. We think about giving up our passion that has suddenly so obvious fatal risk in it. Many have speculated that Davey Hamilton, Tony Kanaan, Helio Castroneves, Dario Franchitti and Paul Tracy should walk away now when they still can make the choice. But like Tony Kanaan already told, this is not a path that should be taken now. Dale Jr and Mark Martin didn't take that path and neither did Gerhard Berger. There's many reasons behind these decissions, that each have made in this type of situations, that has stopped us earlier. Mostly it's about accepting the risk again, the same old risk that had always been there. You could live your life avoiding all the dangerous things all your life and still end up dying in your sleep in young age in your own bed.

As much I hate what happened on 16th of October and don't want to see it happening again, sooner or later I'm watching racing again (next F1 race). And when the first snow falls I start to think about driving hard with snowmobile, it's also a form of motorsports. It's a gruel and selfish sports but it's also our passion too. We do it because we love it and it gives us the thrills we seek. That's the reason to carry on, but it still doesn't chance the destiny of Dan Wheldon or the fact that no one wants to see it ever happening again. It's our passion and motorsports community is strong and unite, it has been and it will be. Mainstream media and people with "I told you this would happen" -attitude should take a moment with themselves, a reality check that the motorsports community was forced to take.

All my thoughts and condolences goes for Dan Wheldon, his family and people who were close to him. Dan was truly a great person and he will be missed and remembered in motorsports community.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Wheldon's final words according to Sam Schmidt: "I’m ready to go for this thing; we can win this thing."

http://www.indycar.com/news/show/55-izod-indycar-series/50919-schmidt-and-39-he-was-going-for-itand-39/

This article sums it up quite well, Sam Schmidt is also a great man so his words are good to hear right now. Other thing that really shows how down are the feelings at Indycar organization as there are no official results or any updates on youtube since 15th of October.

Also, I'm a subscriber for Indycar Nation newsletter. Haven't received the usual race review...

Last edited by NVirkkula on Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Wonderful article by Jeff Olson on Autosport

[spoiler]
Quote:
Dan the man - a personal recollection

The world of motorsport is still stunned by the loss of Dan Wheldon. Jeff Olson was Dan's ghost writer for USA Today and gives his own thoughts on the man whose talent made him a winner and nature universally popular

During the early hours of Saturday morning, the phone pinged with an email from Dan Wheldon. We'd worked on a first-person column for USA Today on Friday evening, and he was worried that the first draft might be too negative.

I had to smile at that. There he was, with far more important things on his mind, awake way too late in Las Vegas, worrying that his column wasn't upbeat enough, so he had to ask the guy who ghosted it.

I understood what he meant. It wasn't so much the tone that concerned him, but what his crew members would think of it. The column told the story of a car that was way off the pace and the engineers who were trying to find the solution.

The words were verbatim (and classic) Dan, mentioning again and again how hard-working and talented and smart his guys were, and how he was confident they'd find the solution.

The column was good. Quite good. And it was good because it was his voice, his words. It was entertaining and informative and positive, but he wasn't sure it was positive enough.

I answered by saying I thought it was fantastic and that he told the story well, but that we still had time to make changes if that's what he wanted. I told him to sleep on it and let me know the next day if he wanted to add to it.

The phone pinged again.

Jeff...
Okay, send it my man.
Thanks,
Dan.

I keep looking at those final emails. They will be how I remember Dan Wheldon. Positive, wanting everything to be just right and concerned about the feelings of those around him. Taking an extra step to make sure everything was in the right place and properly stated and presented. He concerned himself with the details. He understood the entire game of racing, and he was devoted to doing all of it right.

He wouldn't be pleased if I didn't tell this story honestly, if I skated over the reality of our journalist/racer relationship, so here's the truth: I didn't always like Dan, and he didn't always like me. When I first met him in 2003, I thought he was a tad brazen, and I suspect he thought I was a backwoods hillbilly who typed with his knuckles.

I say this not to denigrate his memory, but to illustrate how much he'd changed over the years. I wasn't the only one who had uncomfortable moments with Dan back then, and the later retelling of those stories made him laugh and cringe simultaneously. He was the first to acknowledge that the Dan of 2003 was not the same as the Dan of 2011. Not even close.

The Bad Dan story I appreciate most, and on so many levels, happened at Richmond in 2005, a month after he'd won the Indy 500 for the first time. He was annoyed that Danica Patrick was on the cover of RACER magazine. It was a production predicament; the magazine had to be printed before the race. She was chosen for the cover, the mag was printed, she did well in the race, stole some of his victory thunder, and then, shortly after the race, readers got their copy of RACER in the mail with Danica on the cover.

So as I greeted him for an interview for IndyCar Magazine at Andretti Green Racing's hospitality transporter, I made the mistake of saying, "This is a make-up for Danica being on the cover." I didn't specify which cover. He thought I meant the cover of IndyCar, which is what I was there to write for. In essence, we had a massive communication breakdown.

Thinking he was not going to be on the cover of IndyCar, he tossed a copy of the Danica cover aside and told me fairly unpleasantly that I would not be interviewing him today.

That's when it turned comical. He stomped towards the door. AGR's trailer had a sliding glass door; push a button and it slides open with a swish, like the doors on the Starship Enterprise. So what should have been a monumental door-slamming, eff-you moment became an awkward pause as Dan pressed the button and waited for the science-fiction door to open.

Swish...

About 30 seconds later, he returned. Swish. He told Al Larsen, AGR's PR director at the time, that he wasn't doing the interview. Swish. I had just enough time to ask Al if this was serious or a practical joke when Dan was back at the door again.

This time, we talked him back in. I'd realised that he thought I had told him that he was not on the cover of IndyCar, which he most certainly was. That's why I was there; to write a cover story about him.

He started to mellow, and eventually he agreed to the interview. He laid flat on the couch and put an arm across his eyes. I turned on the recorder, and he was absolutely brilliant. I wish I still had that tape, because it was one of the best 15 minutes ever recorded.

Dan was like that. He could change directions instantly, go from full-bore to idle immediately, and be dazzling. I left with a grin. It was the funniest/smartest meltdown in the history of meltdowns. And his quotes were unbelievably sharp and insightful. Dan could talk. His gift was racing, but his secondary gift was the ability to explain it.

After that day at Richmond, I never had another disconcerting moment with Dan. Something changed considerably around 2007, shortly before he got married. He grew up. He came to appreciate what he had accomplished and the people who helped him accomplish it. That was the very reason he was emailing at 3am, to wonder if he might have made his crew look bad. He hadn't. Not at all. He'd explained their role exquisitely. It was a stellar column, and it was vintage Dan Wheldon.

In recent years, we had some splendid conversations and endearing moments. He was kind and thoughtful and always asked about life outside of racing. He thoroughly understood the role of the press and publicity, and he made himself accessible. He called to compliment when the work was quality. He cared about more than just the obvious. He became someone we all looked forward to seeing at the racetrack. He became a friend.

He emerged into a well-rounded, accomplished professional racer. He reached the same level of I-get-it-all in his late 20s that most drivers don't discover until their mid-30s, if at all. He wasn't just a distinguished racer. He was distinguished at all aspects of the sport. But most impressively, he'd grown into a distinguished human being.

That's the angle we took for RACER after he won the 500 in May this year: The man who won Indy in 2011 was nothing like the man who won it in 2005. It was astonishing how much he'd changed in six years. I was somewhat concerned after writing the story that he wouldn't appreciate my mentioning his old self. I used the words 'diva' and 'petulant' and 'tantrums' and pointed out his flaws from the past to demonstrate how much he'd changed. Thought perhaps I'd offended him.

Instead, I got a compliment. He thought it was 'spot-on'; His words. 'Great angle'; also his words. It didn't matter to him that his youthful imperfections were told to an audience that perhaps wasn't aware. He liked it. He thought it fitting. He saw the change in himself, and he wanted the story to be told.

His last email will stay on the phone and the computer for the rest of their digital lives. It was, in an unintended way, an affirmation and a farewell. It was, like Dan Wheldon, utterly brilliant.

[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:29 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

westracing01 wrote:
I think I've finally figured out what's been bothering me about this crash the most. The shear, unadulterated, brutal violence of it. We've all seen horrifying crashes, but none of us have ever seen anything like what we saw on Sunday. That's the part I can't get over. (...)

This exactly that what is bothering me since then as well.
Also the fact that whenever there was a fatal accident in racing it usually included one car. Here we had 15 cars (!) piling into each other. 14 drivers walked away...one didn't. And this is so horrible that I don't even have words for this to describe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

westracing01 wrote:
I think I've finally figured out what's been bothering me about this crash the most. The shear, unadulterated, brutal violence of it. We've all seen horrifying crashes, but none of us have ever seen anything like what we saw on Sunday. That's the part I can't get over. (...)

Totally agree. It's Tuesday and I am yet to shudder the thoughts about what we saw on Sunday away.
As someone who only knew Dan as a spectator, it's still really hard, especially given how involved he has been this year with the broadcasts. I cannot imagine how his family and close friends are dealing with it all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:40 pm 

NVirkkula wrote:
I hate it so much how the mainstream media is taking this.

One thing that hasn't changed one bit in my 25 years of watching motorsport: mainstream media will hardly pay attention to it, until someone dies. Then they try and sensationalize it, decry the safety, and show as graphic and as gory of a picture that they can. Usually while getting the facts wrong.

I hate the "$5 million prize" angle I've seen in stories. Dan Wheldon is a race car driver, I bet he was more concerned about having a good race for a potential full time ride next year. The accident was not started anywhere near Dan Wheldon. It was incredibly violent and involved a lot of the field. Will Power also was thrown into the fence, yet the media doesn't tries to imply that Will Power was over-driving, because thankfully he hit at the right angle and survived. (If he didn't, the tabloids surely would find yet another excuse to react in faux horror. :x )

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race
Echti wrote:
westracing01 wrote:

This exactly that what is bothering me since then as well.
Also the fact that whenever there was a fatal accident in racing it usually included one car. Here we had 15 cars (!) piling into each other. 14 drivers walked away...one didn't. And this is so horrible that I don't even have words for this to describe.

Have to agree too.As it started I was like "Shit, now we have what we all feared to happen".I know its easy to say I knew that something bad had happen right after the crash, afterwards.But as I saw all that cars tumbling out of Turn 2 from the backstraight Camera, 3 Cars of them upside down, I just knew that was that horrendous crash we never wanted to see in the IRL amd I really feared we habe multiple dead Drivers.

I really asking myself how the hell all other Drivers walked away from it.In all that Tragedy I think we have to say the Fact that we "only" lost Dan shows us how high the safety is those days!

Last edited by Fox on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:57 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

electrodevo wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
I hate it so much how the mainstream media is taking this.

One thing that hasn't changed one bit in my 25 years of watching motorsport: mainstream media will hardly pay attention to it, until someone dies. Then they try and sensationalize it, decry the safety, and show as graphic and as gory of a picture that they can. Usually while getting the facts wrong.

I hate the "$5 million prize" angle I've seen in stories. Dan Wheldon is a race car driver, I bet he was more concerned about having a good race for a potential full time ride next year. The accident was not started anywhere near Dan Wheldon. It was incredibly violent and involved a lot of the field. Will Power also was thrown into the fence, yet the media doesn't tries to imply that Will Power was over-driving, because thankfully he hit at the right angle and survived. (If he didn't, the tabloids surely would find yet another excuse to react in faux horror. :x )

Agreed. This has been the same with media always, makes you wonder how much of other things - like politics and economy for example - they get wrong if they don't get this kind of things right ever in the sports section.

I don't think for a one bit that Wheldon was pushing for the money, he was pushing for a good result like everyone else in the field. He just happened to be the one who ran out his luck from those 15 drivers. Pippa Mann, JR Hildebrand and Will Power were also very close on that.

For what I'm understood, Dan Wheldon already had Andretti Autosport GoDaddy.com seat for 2012, right? At least it was widely speculated and given the fact that he was involved developing the car and had recent Indy 500 win under his belt had probably took all this kind of pressure away from him.

And like Raikkon said, for us it's really hard and we're just the spectators and how hard it must be for the family. A bit over five years ago our family had shocking news that my uncle, in age of 47, former hockey player had passed away. It was an untimely death out from the blue for all of us. The pain was unbearable for the first year, the second year it was tolerable. But you can never really get over it, that's the unfortunate thing for the family and close friends, you have to live with it the rest of your life. With all the pain and sorrow, with the guilt and blaming, with happy memories and anger, thought a day, through a year, every anniversary, every family party. It's a heavy load to carry in your heart.

What comes to the spectator part - I still can get emotional about Ayrton Senna's death when I watch F1 races or tributes to him. And that's what, over 17 years ago? I think that for me as a witness for both fatal incident, Senna and Wheldon, these two will always be with me when ever I follow my passion on motorsports.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1468 posts ]  Go to page Previous 159 60 61 62 6374 Next