TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Is DRS in the spirit of what F1 should be?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 26 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 65 ]
Total votes: 91
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Unlike other polls, I'm not asking whether it makes the races more exciting, or specifically whether you like DRS as a concept, I'm just asking whether it's in the spirit of what Formula 1 should be.

I suppose, put simply, it could depend on where you see the balance being between F1 purely as a form of entertainment and a sport in which drivers should showcase their talents in very quick, highly advanced machinery.

Shouldn't the fundamental problems that prevent overtaking from happening in the first place be sorted (e.g. the cars being too reliant on aero), rather than "overriding" the problems by inventing a button that allows one car to drive straight past another, especially when no skill is involved from the driver's point of view?

Is it enough to say, "The driver must be skilled enough to get within that 1 second window and that's all that matters"? Would you want to see it banned even if it means we see less overtaking?

Last edited by PTRACER on Thu May 12, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I voted no, but to be honest, I don't really know if there's some spirit involved in F1 nowadays. It's just a place for engineers to wank over their technologies and it has so little imput from the drivers it's not even funny.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:36 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

No it's not. But as Gabriel quite rightly said, there's not much of the original F1 spirit left in F1 these days. Driver skill has taken more of a back seat (although it's not anywhere near as bad as it was in 1993) than it should ever have been allowed to. But, at the same rate, F1 has always being about cutting edge technologies as well, so less input from drivers and more reliance on tech goes hand in hand really.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeaa but the engine rules and the like are stifling that now as well.

But for the question, no not really.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:40 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Yup. It's like it can't make up it's mind about what it wants to be.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:13 pm 
Australian - All the animals look so strange
Australian - All the animals look so strange

F1 hasn't really been in the "spirit" of the sport in awhile, though it's not really viable for it to be. Free reign to come up with whatever you could within fair regulations. But of course the costs would just soar and the racing itself would suffer.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:56 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Ospi wrote:
F1 hasn't really been in the "spirit" of the sport in awhile, though it's not really viable for it to be. Free reign to come up with whatever you could within fair regulations. But of course the costs would just soar and the racing itself would suffer.

Costs wouldn't soar if the rules weren't thrown in the shredder every single season. I personally don't care for artificial entertainment, I just want to see great looking cars with earsplitting V10's.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good point above by Michael. They claim they want to keep costs down, yet they changed the entire configuration of the cars a couple of seasons ago, then they forced them to change it even further by banning refuelling, they made them work on a KERS system, they made them work on a moveable front wing, then they ditch that for a moveable rear wing...

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:34 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think it is something that should be in F1
not only does it deliver great spectacle, it's also a technology that is actually used on roadcars
for example the new McLaren road car, it has an adjustable wing that is used for breaking zones etc.

only thing is that it should be properly regulated, not like in Turkey where it's too easy when you got it

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There are so many things that are no longer in the spirit of F1:

1/ only one tyre supplier
2/ engines that are rev limited and only V8 and limited number of engines that can be used.
3/ no testing (development) between races
4/ going to fancy places where nobody is interested in F1

so in my opinion, DRS is also not in the spirit of F1, but unlikely what I've summed up above, it is one o that helps overtaking, that makes the racing interesting again.

Next race usually is as boring as hell (procession of cars), now it should be interesting thanks to DRS.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Shaddix wrote:
not only does it deliver great spectacle, it's also a technology that is actually used on roadcars
for example the new McLaren road car, it has an adjustable wing that is used for breaking zones etc.

only thing is that it should be properly regulated, not like in Turkey where it's too easy when you got it

DRS has no practical application in road technology and it has nothing to do with airbrakes. I also thought DRS was something that would be rather simple, but the systems keep failing on various cars for some reason.

The fact it didn't "work" in Turkey shows how wrong it is. It's F1's "epic fail" of the century.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Depends on what you class as the spirit of F1 I guess. For me, the spirit of Formula One has always been to do with it being a technological showpiece with the best drivers.

The DRS doesn't really detract from that for me. It's no different than a turbo boost button, although I do wish they'd just let the drivers use it wherever and whenever in race conditions. The fact that each team has been able to develop their own system means that it's still down to how each team have read the rules and come up with a solution, so I am okay with it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PTRACER wrote:

The fact it didn't "work" in Turkey shows how wrong it is. It's F1's "epic fail" of the century.

It produced 3 fantastic races in a row (in combination with the new tyres) and it is the "epic fail" of the century? At least give it 1 season, next year I'm sure they'll fine tune the DRS zones on the circuits based on the experience of this year.

And the spirit of F1 is the same as the spirit in any race: get to the finish first. DRS doesn't chance anything, it just adds the element of excitement that was missing from many races. The racing now is like a wet race with no rain, and we all like rainy races for their unpredictability.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PTRACER wrote:
Shaddix wrote:

DRS has no practical application in road technology and it has nothing to do with airbrakes. I also thought DRS was something that would be rather simple, but the systems keep failing on various cars for some reason.

the technology is similar to airbrakes, it's just used for another purpose

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DRS doesn't manipulate the racing
it's not like F1 get's a SC for stupid things like a pidgin shitting on the track (USA?)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

cookie wrote:
It produced 3 fantastic races in a row (in combination with the new tyres) and it is the "epic fail" of the century? At least give it 1 season, next year I'm sure they'll fine tune the DRS zones on the circuits based on the experience of this year.

DRS is like F1 taking heroin or cocaine, it might produce enjoyable effects, but it's ultimately damaging and wrong.

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Dario Speedwagon wrote:
I'm sick of your shit, first your the person who says F1 was complete lie because of a little confusion about it's title. You seem to pop up on the forum, say libelous nonsensical bullshit and then disappear for a few months. You're an idiot. Go and split some hairs on your own forum.

You have a HELLUVA lot of growing up to do. :wave:

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
There are so many things that are no longer in the spirit of F1:

1/ only one tyre supplier
2/ engines that are rev limited and only V8 and limited number of engines that can be used.
3/ no testing (development) between races
4/ going to fancy places where nobody is interested in F1

so in my opinion, DRS is also not in the spirit of F1, but unlikely what I've summed up above, it is one o that helps overtaking, that makes the racing interesting again.

Next race usually is as boring as hell (procession of cars), now it should be interesting thanks to DRS.

This is absolutely spot on. :thumbsup:

Scotty, you need to sort your anger issues out. I can't understand how you can get pissed off with PT offering opinions on matters and asking questions. We're never all going to agree on something.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

MaTT wrote:
The DRS doesn't really detract from that for me. It's no different than a turbo boost button, although I do wish they'd just let the drivers use it wherever and whenever in race conditions. The fact that each team has been able to develop their own system means that it's still down to how each team have read the rules and come up with a solution, so I am okay with it.

If drivers could use DRS all the time, it'd be no different to KERS, where there's no real advantage to using it, only a disadvantage to not using it. They now HAVE to use KERS just to get them round the lap at least as fast as another driver. I know KERS has its practical applications outside motorsport, particularly with eco friendly cars like Jeremy Clarkson's favourite (the Prius), but in F1 it's practically useless. It was supposed to be a push to pass button and it has no use, I'm surprised they brought it back.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I can't judge the DRS' benefit really, because with KERS (almost forgotten this year) and the huge difference between fresh and old tyres, its hard to see whether F1 would be worse without DRS. However, I think we could do without it this year because of KERS & the tyres.