TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Is DRS in the spirit of what F1 should be?
Yes 29%  29%  [ 26 ]
No 71%  71%  [ 65 ]
Total votes: 91
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:26 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Dario Speedwagon wrote:
PTRACER wrote:
The fact it didn't "work" in Turkey shows how wrong it is. It's F1's "epic fail" of the century.

It's not that it didn't work, it's that it worked too well, completely different. Epic fail of the century? You've got to be joking it's produced some fantastic racing. Malaysia, Turkey and China all would've been 0/10 races without the DRS. If you don't think it's in the spirit of racing well go fuck off, you'd probably be one of those complaining about the lack of overtaking which we've had since, well, forever.

I'm sick of your shit, first your the person who says F1 was complete lie because of a little confusion about it's title. You seem to pop up on the forum, say libelous nonsensical bullshit and then disappear for a few months. You're an idiot. Go and split some hairs on your own forum.

spergin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:46 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

In my eyes, the spirit of F1 is great racing. Great racing = fans. Fans = F1. DRS provides great racing (or a combination of DRS, KERS etc). It's a great, great idea in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:32 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

The spirit of F1 is racing and I can't see any point in which DRS has something to do with racing. If everyone could enable DRS whenever they want it would be something different. But right now it's just improving the show artificially.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:49 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

If you answer no to this question you're pretty much also answering no to "is overtaking in the spirit of F1"?

Formula 1 is about doing the best job under the rules as they are written for that championship.
DRS is part of this years rules and it hasn't suddenly resulted in a Virgin racing car being able to overtake a Red Bull so its not like it's fundamentally changed the competitiveness of the championship. It just, along with the tyres and KERS, makes the races a LOT more enjoyable as the domination is happening at the front.

I'm getting a little bit tired of the purist "it's not F1" argument. It was the same when KERS appeared, it was the same when they banned refuelling and now its the same with the DRS and will be no matter what they bring in next, if there is anything more to come.

Thinking back to a few years ago, the cars were getting ridiculous with grooved tyres, aerodynamic flick ups on any available flat surface and boring race after boring race. But since the 2009 aero changes (flat surfaces helped a lot I think, just a shame about the double diffuser...) I've actually been sort of impressed with the attention F1 has been paying to the quality of racing, it's almost a complete heel face turn from the Mosely years, when they blatently didn't seem to give a shit.

DRS is here, seems to be popular with teams and a good percentage of the fans if not the majority, and hopefully won't be going anywhere.
Yes, by all means it isn't perfect and I'm willing to accept a good portion of 2011 will be fine tuning the product to get the right balance between not too easy passing and not enough help, but I'd rather the drivers have as many tools as possible to produce excitement ON TRACK rather than waiting for the pit stops as blighted the championship from 1994 until 2009...

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bringing back the ban on refuelling was the best thing to ever happen to the sport in decades. There is no more coming back to the spirit than that.

At first, I hated the DRS, but you have to give it credit for adding a strategy component to the battles. And drivers don't rely on it completely for passing, they try different tactics, like passing elsewhere and trying to manage the KERS to escape more than 1 second, etc..
We've seen more tight battles this year than ever before, where frankly it was mostly a car following the other for laps and laps waiting for an opening, then passing and escaping away.

Also, it looks so futuristic to see wings moving mid-race. Until a few years ago, this used to be science-fiction (and remember, forbidden by the rules).

Now, as many of you wisely said, they should stop messing aorund with the rules and let the current system stabilise itself for a few years.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:14 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Quote:
Also, it looks so futuristic to see wings moving mid-race. Until a few years ago, this used to be science-fiction (and remember, forbidden by the rules).

Chaparral did that in 1966, lol.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 pm 

This thread is kind of anti racing though, seeing 3 consecutive races are called "epic fail of century".

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:33 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I voted no, it is not in the spirit of F1. However it is better to have gone too far into the extreme and be able to reel it back in, rather than be stuck with an awful sport.

Quote:
If you answer no to this question you're pretty much also answering no to "is overtaking in the spirit of F1"?

No, no you are not.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:21 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

As I see it technology has created a problem. We have cars that are so aerodynamic nowadays that they couldn't get with 2 seconds before stalling, we had tyres so durable that I believe they could still be racing in Abu Dhabi without any degradation, we have cars so reliable that are we seriously surprised that 22 of them finish the race.

In the way that the atomic bomb would appear to rule out any future global conflicts, technology went so far that it nullified racing. So we needed these gadgets otherwise nobody except those that liked the supreme technology would be left watching. You'd have lost the sports fans so to speak. They're not in the spirit, but I'd rather watch this than the dross that we have seen for many years.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:56 am 

I think we need to wait to see if they can work out how to make it work right, so that passes can happen, but arent as easy as Turkey. Still I much prefer the constant passing and excitement to a race where no one can get close, let alone pass.. (Not that its solely down to the DRS...)

Either way I am just glad they we are getting rules to make the show better, rules that are focusing on us, the fans...

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:36 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shaddix wrote:
DRS doesn't manipulate the racing
it's not like F1 get's a SC for stupid things like a pidgin shitting on the track (USA?)

Thinking everything here is done like it is in NASCAR is incredibly ignorant.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pidgin lol

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:16 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

BeaverDragon wrote:
Shaddix wrote:
DRS doesn't manipulate the racing
it's not like F1 get's a SC for stupid things like a pidgin shitting on the track (USA?)

Thinking everything here is done like it is in NASCAR is incredibly ignorant.

Yeah. Invisibris cautions still exist, but I haven't seen a lot of it lately.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

no I'm just exaggerating to proof a point
fact is that if there where no limits to building a F1 car and no DRS zones, teams would still implement a DRS (and F-Duct etc.) to gain speed on the straights
so it's actually an innovation, conclusion: DRS is in the spirit of F1, DRS zones are not

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:21 pm 

DRS is good, but i'm little angry about it's usage upon FP's and Quali, should be race-only.
I think that there should be also adjusted front wing that you could use at DRS-zone brakings, to make possible late braking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't give a shit if it's in the spirit of F1. If that was the case, then the only thing left on the cars that are in the "spirit of F1" is the nutter that sits behind the steering wheel, and you could make a case against that being totally true as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think when talking about DRS you need to ask 2 questions. The 1st regarding the DRS system itself & the 2nd regarding the DRS regulations in the races.

The DRS system itself isn't really the problem, I think the problem comes from the regulations where it can only be used when a car behind is within 1 second & in a specific zone with an activation point & with the car infront been unable to do much to defend against it.

codename_47 wrote:
DRS is here, seems to be popular with teams and a good percentage of the fans if not the majority, and hopefully won't be going anywhere.
I would say that most fans are non Anti-DRS in terms of the actual system on the cars, However I would say based on what I have seen around the internet that it seems as if the DRS regulations maybe losing fan-support as the season goes on.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:49 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeister wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
I would say that most fans are non Anti-DRS in terms of the actual system on the cars, However I would say based on what I have seen around the internet that it seems as if the DRS regulations maybe losing fan-support as the season goes on.

Karun Chandok made a great point on this during the latest Motorsport magazine podcast, if you polled every F1 fan, the majority of the "casual" fans have no idea what DRS even really is, they just are happy the racing is a lot better.
Karun says he gets asked what "DRS activated" means by casual fans and they just kind of assume the wings have always been opening and closing like they are this year.

The internet is not really a measure of the casual fans tbh. We're talking those who watch the race then wander off to do other things, not rush straight to a forum to moan/complain.

I understand the points of those who are anti-DRS but those people seemingly want it to have been perfect from day 1.
We all know overtaking has been a bit too easy in a few places (mainly Turkey) but the fact is the system is still under test and probably will be for the rest of this season, whereupon the FIA will be able to sit down with some valuable data and make sure that next year the wing is only assisting overtaking, not ensuring it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:48 am 
The most anticipated member

I think the "DRS" fakes the real spirit of F1. It's an artificial solution to an equally artificial series, caused by extreme technical advance. Against all of those who think high technology and the "infinite technical progress" are the very spirit of F1, I counter-argument by saying: "No, it's not necessarily". Why? Technology and progress are unquestionable parts of Formula One racing History but it's not the essence. For example, Formula 1 today is much more advanced than in the 50's but who makes it exciting? The human driving...without humans driving the cars, you have a dead series of robot-cars.

The spirit of Formula One is the genuine joy for competition, human competition. As the high technical progress eliminated high percentages of "human anger" acting on the machines, you have to find an artificial solution to balance this equation, so you have DRS. It was actually a wise solution, I mean, it's in line with the series reality. So I liked DRS, of course it doesnt replace the pure driving, but it helps to recreate a driving and competition narrative in F1.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I guess they just went out wrong when they started changing rules for 2003 season

is an artificial this, but races are a lot better than previous years, at least they're trying to fix the mess they started years ago

but they done wrong by freezing engine development, when the best thing was to freeze aerodynamics