TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 3144 Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck you, NASCAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brian France specifically said that this format is designed to get the Game 7 atmosphere... Only problem is he forgot that an awful lot of 7 game series never make it 7 games.

The whole reason Game 7's are special is because they don't happen all the time. If it happens every year then it doesn't mean as much. This whole comparison is shit because you have a definite number of races to run in a season and in order to get this type of Game 7 scenario the situation has to be manipulated to achieve it, instead of in a true playoff where the exact number of games that will be played are not definite.

This isn't a playoff as much as it is a tournament, which is more appropriate terminology but no less idiotic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Word. I'm about to butcher a quote I read or heard somewhere, but "If every superbowl was super, then none of them are super."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:52 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

westracing01 wrote:
Brian France specifically said that this format is designed to get the Game 7 atmosphere... Only problem is he forgot that an awful lot of 7 game series never make it 7 games.

The whole reason Game 7's are special is because they don't happen all the time. If it happens every year then it doesn't mean as much. This whole comparison is shit because you have a definite number of races to run in a season and in order to get this type of Game 7 scenario the situation has to be manipulated to achieve it, instead of in a true playoff where the exact number of games that will be played are not definite.

This isn't a playoff as much as it is a tournament, which is more appropriate terminology but no less idiotic.

Going back to what I said earlier this year:
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Besides, not every game 7 or Super Bowl ends in a tight game...you'd be surprised how many blowouts we have. Same deal here. If the championship gets clinched with 2 or 3 races to go, so be it. Plus, even if the race winds down to the last race, it's not a guarantee that they'll fight tooth-and-nail with each other since those guys have everyone else to deal with.

Cases in point: this year's Super Bowl was decided by a large margin--it wasn't even a contest. The NBA Finals only went 5 games, and 4 of them are blowouts. The Stanley Cup Final was also decided in 5 games, but the only reason why people rated it higher than any championship game/series this year is because all 5 games were decided by 1 goal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:13 am 

SB83 wrote:
... in the old days, a race without a fight was out of the norm. At RacersReunion.com, you have plenty of guys that have been there and done everything there was to be done during the so called good ole glory days of the sport, and all of them talk about how much fighting there was back then, usually involving an automotive spare part weapon of some sort too.
That's bullshit, bravado, booze, bad memories or pure hype by anyone claiming it was like that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

protip to hotdogger, never go full Soul Reaver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:33 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

the ost wrote:

By the way, the average age of a NASCAR television viewer is 51 years old.

Some people just fall and they can't get up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:40 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Tristar 7AT wrote:
the ost wrote:

By the way, the average age of a NASCAR television viewer is 51 years old.

Some people just fall and they can't get up.

I think we all realised that when every advert break is about not being able to maintain your erection and what you can do about it

At least our only balls related problems are of the blue balls variety.... :o

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:42 am 

SB83 wrote:
You say old fans of the sport wouldn't like the little bit of fighting that happened recently but in the old days, a race without a fight was out of the norm.

That may be true at some short track level, but NASCAR fights were relatively rare when I watched them. They happened, of course. Heck NASCAR got promoted a bit nationally due to one in 1979 that was a bit before my time. But "a race without a fight was out of the norm"? That's BS right there.

To be honest though, the fights are not the type of thing that I was talking about (other than pondering what NASCAR will do seeing that the ratings jump was exactly for that). Fights happen in the heat of the moment, always have. It's more things like GWC finishes, invisibris cautions, and "the Chase" system. All of the above help manufacture "more dramatic" outcomes, but the more you try to make every outcome "dramatic", the more you seriously edge towards scripted sports entertainment. Real life sports competition is not always dramatic. Sometimes one team is incredibly dominant and there are blowouts.

NASCAR's not the only major race series playing with these sort of things. In Formula 1 for instance, you have things ranging from the debatable (DRS) to the what-the-hell-are-they-thinking (double points finale). Indycar has had their share of poor gimmicks, such as the Texas double header silliness. Not just a NASCAR thing unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

yep and all three of those things only came on recently. invisibris cautions exploded in the 00s, the chase system started in' 04 and GWCs were incorporated to the cup series in' 04 too. I've watched tons of 80s/90s races and it was nothing like he stated. There were fights and bad behavior but it wasn't the kind of hollywood shit we see in the modern era.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sigh, of course I didn't mean they fought every race. But it happened far more often than it does now, that was the point.

devo, scripted is when an outcome is decided from the outset. All nascar is doing is setting the stage a certain way but its still up to the players to decide the outcome based on how they perform.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm So done with this stupid fucking sport. I haven't watched any race this weekend and after hearing how good last night was, I decided to watch this race. Good race for the most part, until the fucking finish. They shouldn't have thrown that yellow. Fuck this. I'm officially done with NASCAR. I'm cutting my cable tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:57 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

FUCK NASCAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:03 pm 

NASCAR is trying its best to replicate the success the IRL had in the 90's in destroying its own sport.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NASCAR begins "A New Era" with a blue balls caution finish.

As if dealing with a womanbeater and a Cup guy breaking a leg in your minor league wasn't bad enough.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:08 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I honestly thought a lot of speedweeks was meh with the leader just able to block people on the last lap ruining any chance for a tast finish, but then the natio....Xfinity finish gave me hope we could see something similar in the cup race.

NASCAR just loves toying with our expectations. :slaphead:

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Xfinity finish gave me hope we could see something similar in the cup race.

NASCAR just loves toying with our expectations. :slaphead:

They're starting a trend: Great Xfinity race = Shit 500, Shit Xfinity race = Great 500.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:21 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Problem with NASCAR is that it wants to be the WWE of motorsport, rather than a legitimate sport. If we saw it as a proper sporting event we'd be completely ok with that finish - we don't get all NEVER WATCHING AGAIN every time F1 has anything less than a 4 wide finish with 7 cars on fire and 2 more upside down. But when NASCAR fucks with the races so much in an attempt to be entertaining, it better be fucking entertaining. Otherwise there's no point to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

there

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:23 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Schumifan wrote:
Problem with NASCAR is that it wants to be the WWE of motorsport, rather than a legitimate sport. If we saw it as a proper sporting event we'd be completely ok with that finish - we don't get all NEVER WATCHING AGAIN every time F1 has anything less than a 4 wide finish with 7 cars on fire and 2 more upside down. But when NASCAR fucks with the races so much in an attempt to be entertaining, it better be fucking entertaining. Otherwise there's no point to it.

Yeah that's the point, if you're going to be as artificial as NASCAR is, there's zero point being artificial AND boring

Why go to all that trouble just to have a blue balls finish.... :slaphead:

Twitter:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just a reminder, there is no "Fuck you, F1" or "Fuck you, Indycar" threads on TBK. That's all you need to know about the state of NASCAR.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 3144 Next