TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1944 Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck you, NASCAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, I agree. On Spamgasm a few days ago we were Classic Race Chatting a race from Martinsville from 2001 (not all that long ago) and we were noting how the cars just seemed so much faster, even at such a small track. Whether or not the cars actually are faster or slower isn't the point. They looked faster. The modern cars seem so huge.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

They look faster because they were more unstable. So all the little movements are exaggerated. It applies to BTCC, and even F1 as well. BTCC cars in the early 90s were bouncing about sideways and they looked pretty damn fast for the type of car they are. The new cars are faster, but they somehow look slower.

Basically, the more out of control and difficult to drive a car looks, the faster it looks. I guess technology and higher standards ruins that a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Right now, Goodyear is the main problem when it comes to NASCAR. How can you have passing if tyre wear is virtually non-existent and everyone pretty much has what they started with for most of the race? Thing I loved most is seeing someone be good for five to ten laps then drop off a cliff and have someone who saved his stuff come up and pass him as he's sliding around. Now you only have that at Atlanta and Rockingham where the surface is so rough that even the Goodrocks give up a ton and put on good racing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:05 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Goodyear tyres blow out if there is a piece of debris within several miles of the speedway. Until they solve that, giving them high wear will just end in more stupid tyre issues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They have solved that in a way. After the 2008 Indy disaster, they did extensive tests at Indy and discovered a magic solution that was hard yet grippy and they gradually started introducing that construction at more and more tracks. They are just taking the easy route at the cost of the fans that have to watch choo choo racing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's safe to say that the "too many commercials" argument is a bit pointless these days; it's obvious they aren't going away anytime soon.

What's been bothering me lately though is the amount of sponsor plugs during the race itself. It seems like once they finish up one sponsor plug, they almost instantly go to another sponsor plug. Then you have situations where they cut to a faraway helicopter shot of the track from 10 miles away where you can't see shit, while they talk about Monday Night Football for 2 minutes, or to show their "Motorsports Calendar" for the 100th time, and all you're doing is hoping they don't miss a fucking wreck during that time period.

Worst of all is when the sponsor plugs stop being plugs and turn into mini-informercials for whatever product said-sponsor produces. Instead of "The Race Rundown presented by Sprint", they give us "The Race Rundown presented by Sprint. Be sure to check out the new HTC EVO 4G XT7490Z Deluxe Twin-Turbo Platinum Edition© Smartphone with Push-To-Talk and the Nation's Largest Wireless 4G Network. For the latest NASCAR news, stats, highlights, cheesecake photos of Miss Sprint Cup, etc. be sure to download the new NASCAR App only from Sprint, only on the NOW Network. Get it today at sprint.com/speed. Did we mention we want your money desperately? Buy our phones and half-broken overpriced apps, please!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I still think that NASCAR should offer a PPV or subscription based service that offers you the live feed, with options of natural sounds, MRN, or corresponding commentary.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Starlancer wrote:
I still think that NASCAR should offer a PPV or subscription based service that offers you the live feed, with options of natural sounds, MRN, or corresponding commentary.

Anything to catch the network commentators during breaks would be great, if only to get soundbytes like "CLOSE. MATT'S. MIC"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Cartman wrote:
It's safe to say that the "too many commercials" argument is a bit pointless these days; it's obvious they aren't going away anytime soon.

What's been bothering me lately though is the amount of sponsor plugs during the race itself. It seems like once they finish up one sponsor plug, they almost instantly go to another sponsor plug. Then you have situations where they cut to a faraway helicopter shot of the track from 10 miles away where you can't see shit, while they talk about Monday Night Football for 2 minutes, or to show their "Motorsports Calendar" for the 100th time, and all you're doing is hoping they don't miss a fucking wreck during that time period.

Worst of all is when the sponsor plugs stop being plugs and turn into mini-informercials for whatever product said-sponsor produces. Instead of "The Race Rundown presented by Sprint", they give us "The Race Rundown presented by Sprint. Be sure to check out the new HTC EVO 4G XT7490Z Deluxe Twin-Turbo Platinum Edition© Smartphone with Push-To-Talk and the Nation's Largest Wireless 4G Network. For the latest NASCAR news, stats, highlights, cheesecake photos of Miss Sprint Cup, etc. be sure to download the new NASCAR App only from Sprint, only on the NOW Network. Get it today at sprint.com/speed. Did we mention we want your money desperately? Buy our phones and half-broken overpriced apps, please!"

Whilst they aren't going away, they are getting worse. NASCAR is basically unwatchable now days.

ellis wrote:
For me, the final straw was the TV coverage becoming unwatchable. I'm a late comer to NASCAR (2002) but even in the 8 or 9 years I've watched, there has been a very visible down turn in the quality of the presentation. Now I've had enough.

I'd love someone to do the maths on how much of the coverage is commercials and how much is racing. And I don't mean a simple "There was 30 minutes of commercials", I mean take into account all of the commercials covering your screen the whole time.

When the racing is on, the top and bottom of the screen is commercials. Then when you go to commercials, they give you outro commercials. Then you watch your commercials and when you come back to racing you get intro commercials, telling you about the official female body spray of NASCAR and who is associated with the broadcast. Then during the racing you get more commercials, but they try and hide them by calling them Aflak facts and shit like that. If you take into account all of this, then you're getting to the point where you tune into commercials, and every so often a motor race interupts them.

And this is before you get into all the other crap like how the commentators are cunts. Rusty Wallace is a moron, and Kyle Petty spends the entire time looking for things to have a go at Montoya for. It's just awful.

I know that the TV presentation is relativly small compared to all of the issues Paul mention (I agree with almost everything that has been said), but for me that is the biggest factor. Even if the racing was awesome, you can't possibly watch it.

I posted this a while back in this thread. Since then someone calculated that a race earlier this year was 30% commercials. That's almost a 3rd of the race just watching the same 10 commercials repeated. And that doesn't include how many commercials they put in the coverage itself in an attempt to hide the fact they're focusing on brands and not the racing.

NASCAR coverage now isn't about the race. It's about selling you shit. But they know you won't tune in if the TV guide says "4 hours of commercials". So you put a NASCAR Race on in the background and slowly add more and more commercials, in both the form of commercial breaks, and brands on your screen during the coverage, until you don't notice that you're getting less and less racing, and more and more commercials.

Obviously NASCAR has a bunch of issues with the series itself that needs fixing, but even if it did, I can't watch it. The coverage is just too frustratingly bad that I don't find it enjoyable. Now PPV NASCAR? I'd consider that if I knew I could watch the coverage without them focusing more on selling me stuff than actually talking about racing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Half of it's the fact the networks pay so much to NASCAR for the rights to broadcast it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jayski typically keeps track of the commercial stuff.

Jayski.com wrote:
For those NASCAR fans that like stats and love to hate commercials, here is the breakdown for Sunday's race. Began recording the times at the Invocation of the race at 2:02 PM, and stopped at the waving of the checkered flag at 5:02PM (all times are EST). Did not keep records for the pre- and post-race coverage. ESPN was the broadcast team for this event.
Total number of traditional commercials: 63
Total number of 'Side-by-Side Commercials' (split-screen): 74
Total number of commercials: 117
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 37
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 36
Total amount of time these brief promos take during broadcast: app. 5 min. 10 sec.
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 2:02 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 5:02 PM
Total minutes of complete broadcast: 180
Minutes of race broadcast: 155
Minutes of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 25
Minutes of 'Side-by-Side' commercials (split-screen): 19
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of 'mystery cautions' (debris not shown): 3
Total race brdcst time 155 Total comm. brdcst time 25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:06 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Worst commercial-fest of the year was Kentucky ("MAC N CHEESE!" "MASHED POTATOES AND GRAVY!") Roughly one-third of the race broadcast was made up of commercials.
Quote:
Race and Commercial Breakdown of the 2012 Quaker State 400: For those of you NASCAR fans that like stats and love to hate commercials, here is the breakdown for Saturday’s race. Began recording the times at the Invocation of the race at 7:29 PM, and stopped at the waving of the checkered flag at 10:32 PM (all times are EST). TNT was the broadcast team for this event.
Start time to record race/commercial periods: 7:29 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 10:32 PM
Total number of commercials: 129
Total number of companies or entities advertised: 62
Total minutes of race broadcast: 183
Minutes of race broadcast: 125
Minutes of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 58
Minutes of ‘Side-by-Side’ commercials (split-screen): 0
Number of missed restarts: 0
Number of ‘mystery cautions’ (debris not shown): 0
Total number of brief promos of products/services during the race broadcast: 50
Total amount of time these brief promos take during broadcast: app. 6 min. 10 sec.
Total race brdcst time 125 Total comm. brdcst time 58

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FOX just signed a deal to host NASCAR races till 2022..best thing I saw out of the deal was that they are going to be doing the entire CWTS season. get possibly the only entertianing series a lot more coverage. Smart thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Underdogfan wrote:
FOX just signed a deal to host NASCAR races till 2022..best thing I saw out of the deal was that they are going to be doing the entire CWTS season. get possibly the only entertianing series a lot more coverage. Smart thinking.

I'm assuming they mean the "FOX family of networks". Probably means they'll all be shown on FOX Sports 1.

Do wish they could show the Daytona race on FOX though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only big network to show a truck race was CBS, correct?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
The only big network to show a truck race was CBS, correct?

FOX showed 2 races a year for a short time, and ABC showed a Truck race from Mesa Marin in 1995.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:24 pm 

ABC also showed the Homestead race in 1999. CBS showed usually 2-4 races per season up until 2000. FOX aired races from Martinsville, Mansfield and California from 2007-2009. Including this 2009 rarity called by Darrell, Larry and Mike. I think the only race since 2003 that hasn't been called by the regular Speed announcers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7p9lUyRTPc

On Twitter Mike Joy says a race or two will probably end up back on the FOX network in the new contract again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Trucks need more network coverage... Short tracks of course

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:07 am 

I could have sworn that the Talladega cup race had at least 90 - 120 minutes of commercials over a 4ish hour broadcast.

By the end of it my missus was (upstairs) and reciting some of the more predictable ones word for word.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:31 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The commercials do give us Brits an insight into what products to expect in the future though...

Still waiting on KFC's over here to give the option for Kentucky Grilled Chicken for healthier eating (lol)

And I remember seeing a few ads saying some Pizza Huts were going to rebrand as Pasta Huts?
Hmmmm....good luck with that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1944 Next