TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1844 Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck you, NASCAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

westracing01 wrote:
More road courses might happen, but dirt never will. Although, if they ever ran Springfield or the Indiana State Fairgrounds, I might actually spend money to attend a NASCAR race again.

Their excuse for not having a Cup race at a dirt mile would be the lack of seating.... DuQuoin has a bunch of seats, nothing that a track that hosts Cup has though. I haven't been to Springfield(planning on it this year, though), and I've only been behind the grandstands at the Indiana State Fairgrounds(I go up there for train shows), so I couldn't tell you about the seating arrangements there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Because all the races this year have been hurting for extra seating.

Fuck you NASCAR.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jeff wrote:
westracing01 wrote:
More road courses might happen, but dirt never will. Although, if they ever ran Springfield or the Indiana State Fairgrounds, I might actually spend money to attend a NASCAR race again.

Their excuse for not having a Cup race at a dirt mile would be the lack of seating.... DuQuoin has a bunch of seats, nothing that a track that hosts Cup has though. I haven't been to Springfield(planning on it this year, though), and I've only been behind the grandstands at the Indiana State Fairgrounds(I go up there for train shows), so I couldn't tell you about the seating arrangements there.

Best guess I have is maybe 20,000 seats at any of the big dirt miles (DuQuoin, Springfirled, Indiana, Syracuse.) Given NASCAR's recent attendance, that might be about right.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, 20,000 wouldn't be enough. Sure, they've had attendance issues everywhere, but you know the minute they announce they're running dirt, that race will probably sell a ton of tickets.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:15 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Might not be enough for a track to pay the fees associated with bringing in a Cup race, or even one of the big-3.

I'm sure it'd be a TV dream, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:21 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

20,000 would be ideal for a Truck or Nationwide race at the very least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:15 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

You also got to think about infrastructure. Duquoin, hell no. Springfield, maybe, any other major dirt track not in an already existing NASCAR track area? God only knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^^^ Syracuse is a good ways from Watkins Glen, plus it's an oval, but still in NY. Infrastructure around the track in 'Cuse could easily handle a Cup race crowd and there is plenty of camping on the infield and surrounding fairgrounds.

The track would need work to be brought up to standards, but it could be done.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:01 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

How would the power of today's car translate over to the dirt surface without radical changes to the suspension? It just doesn't sound like something anyone would want to invest in for just one race. I can see an exhibition of one car trying it but I doubt anything would ever be feasible beyond that. The ARCA guys always seem like they're right on the edge of what the track can handle gripwise without the crazy setup. We have a hard enough time getting rain tires, I can't imagine a dirt tire fitting the body that can grab the track for cup cars.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
NASCAR Licensing Launches New 'NASCAR Classics' Line: NASCAR announced the creation of NASCAR Classics, a new brand identity within the licensing division. From the renegades who blazed the trail on country roads and the hard-packed beaches of Daytona, to the asphalt legends of later decades, NASCAR Classics represents the era that NASCAR established itself as the best racing in the world. NASCAR Classics is a brand that embodies the roots and heritage of NASCAR through high-end t-shirts, hats and original die casts. NASCAR Classics apparel is available for purchase at the NASCAR.com Superstore and Americrown haulers during all NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race weekends. However, the NASCAR Classics die casts are only available at the NASCAR.com Superstore. NASCAR Classics will expand to other retail locations later in the year.(NASCAR)(7-15-2012)

So they do this shit but they won't put classic full races on Itunes for a couple bucks a race?

Fuck you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Knowing NASCAR, if they did put classic races on I-Tunes, they'd probably condense it to two hours, stick a bunch of obnoxious "Pop-Up-Video"-style graphics all over the screen, and have the bulk of the selection consist of "classics" from 5 years ago, with any pre-2000 selections being only Dale Sr. victories.

Thank god for Youtube. You'll find shit that NASCAR wouldn't give two fucks about showing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, that sounds like NASCAR...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

See, I have purchased 3 things from iTunes that are NASCAR related over the years. A 4 hour Richard Petty special about his 7 Daytona 500 wins (well worth the 2 bucks), a 50 minute hackjob of the 1989 Southern 500 (don't know why I bought it of all races), and a shitty 20min straight from NASCAR.com review of the Spring Dega race from 2009 (my first iTunes video purchase). Everything is shitty 20 to 50 minute chopped up shit that is hardly watchable. Nothing has been updated on the classic races since about 2010 it looks like. I would say the majority or there video library has to be digitized by now. Why not upload them somewhere and make some money on them, whether it is a streaming service or Itunes or whatever?

Wow, they just showed the shitty "Classics" shirts on TNT, Fucking terrible. How do you fuck that up? Make a classic Wood Brothers shirt, Cale Yarborough, David Perason, DW, Earnhardt, and The King and make money. Again, NOT THAT HARD.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Racefan4ever wrote:
Wow, they just showed the shitty "Classics" shirts on TNT, Fucking terrible. How do you fuck that up? Make a classic Wood Brothers shirt, Cale Yarborough, David Perason, DW, Earnhardt, and The King and make money. Again, NOT THAT HARD.

Hell, you could find some vintage shirts on Ebay from the 80's-90's and take design cues from those:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I like the Waltrip and Elliott shirts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Racefan4ever wrote:
I would say the majority or there video library has to be digitized by now. Why not upload them somewhere and make some money on them, whether it is a streaming service or Itunes or whatever?

I personally don't want to see them do that, because the minute they do you can kiss all of the races on Youtube goodbye. They probably look at what MLB and F1 do on there (ie. nothing) and pleasure themselves to the thought of doing it themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yuup. If they ever do that, I hope I don't get a crapton of copyright notices all at once - I hope they give me some kind of warning to remove them, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:36 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

I'd wear that Earnhardt shirt if I had one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Harry Gant one is the tits

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 pm 

I'm from the UK, I'm not a massive NASCAR fan but I'll watch it when I can.

All motorsport seems to be hyped up these days, Rallycross, F1 etc. It's all about getting the punters to empty there pockets, but as for the racing itself, the core fundamental thing that makes the sport what it is, what's changed? From someone who's watched races from the late 80s, 90's and 00's all I've noticed is the cars seem slower. I don't know how true that is but it's just what it seems to me. It's also seemed to have lost it's "rawness". What do I mean by that? It's a hard one to call but I'll use the hospital/shed method.

Nascar now seems far to "clinical". Something so shiny, so precise (hospital ;) ) that it almost detaches the viewer from it - compare that to racing of old. It had that raw, down to earth feel. The car's had that down to earth feel. You could relate to the guy smoking a cig on the pitwall holding a 3/8" spanner. (Garden shed).

Doesn't just go for Nascar though. Aussie V8's/Bathurst is another exact example of this.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1844 Next