TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1988 posts ]  Go to page Previous 185 86 87 88 89100 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:20 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ferrari wrote:
2012 IndyCar Schedule Update

-New Hampshire highly unlikely to return in 2012.
http://www.racer.com/report-new-hampshi ... le/212568/

-With Kentucky and Las Vegas questionable for 2012. IndyCar may have only 4 oval races next season.

-Road America may join the schedule next season. Only issue is finding a date.
http://www.racer.com/report-indycar-at- ... le/212611/

-Rumor: Sonoma will be dropped for shared weekend with ALMS at Laguna Seca.

-Detroit City Council has approved the IndyCar race at Belle Isle for June 1-3.
http://www.freep.com/article/20110921/S ... t%7CSports

Oh yea, baby... :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Every oval race in IRL history outside of Indy and Iowa has consisted of pretty much empty stands. Ever since George screwed everything up attendance at oval races has declined rapidly.

Maybe they should revive the Michigan 500 or go back to Phoenix.

I don't think Pheonix is interested in having IndyCar tbh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jean Alesi has now confirmed that he will run the Indy 500 next year.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94731

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Joe A wrote:
Good luck with Michigan. I, like everyone else, would love to see them go back to Michigan, but I doubt ISC would really want the IndyCars back in Michigan, for whatever reason.

I remember Michigan saying they were interested when the reunification happened. Unsurprisingly they went very quiet after that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Next year sounds cool with the Calendar, new cars and Alesi. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

There is a very real fear within the NASCAR world that if Indycar ever got their shit together they could once again give NASCAR a real run for it's money. Only the split gave NASCAR the rapid rise to prominence it has enjoyed over the last 15 years. NASCAR's popularity has waned as of late, unfortunately the ineptitude of Indycar has failed to capitalize on this leaving fans of oval racing with a lack of anywhere to turn. If Indycar ever manages to pull its head out of its ass and give the fans a product they can be passionate about, then it could once again rival NASCAR for popularity. This is something that NASCAR clearly does not want, and since they are the decacto controllers of ISC, ISC makes it a point to make life very difficult for Indycar.

SMI is more or less a purely financial deal. Texas draws a good crowd, that race will stay. If Indycar was smart, they'd look real hard at the few independent tracks still out there... Here's looking at you Pocono.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:01 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Well said, mate, well said.

I want Indycar to have four different titles like they used to have: Overall champion, oval champ, road track champ and street course champ. For that, you obviously need more ovals, short ovals and speedways. One oval race should be before Indy, one a week after and maybe two or three later in the season.

But like you said, Indycar organization doesn't realize what the fans want. The recipe is quite simple really, but apparently not for the series owners. All it really takes is multiple manufacturers, Indy500, full grid in every race, no blocking rule ditched and a decent calendar. How hard can it be?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indycars needs more American manufacturers, Chevy coming back is a start, and needs more American drivers running at the front, not dawdling at the back and being over-hyped. Ganassi and Penske should be offered incentives to run at least one American and make sure that NASCAR can't just come in and tempt American drivers away with the promise of lots of money. But that's expensive.

They do have the oval and road/street course champion idea going but you never hear about it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Andretti Autosport will run Chevrolet engine's next year:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94765

Townsend Bell will be in for Justin Wilson in the final races:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94761

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

westracing01 wrote:
There is a very real fear within the NASCAR world that if Indycar ever got their shit together they could once again give NASCAR a real run for it's money. Only the split gave NASCAR the rapid rise to prominence it has enjoyed over the last 15 years. NASCAR's popularity has waned as of late, unfortunately the ineptitude of Indycar has failed to capitalize on this leaving fans of oval racing with a lack of anywhere to turn. If Indycar ever manages to pull its head out of its ass and give the fans a product they can be passionate about, then it could once again rival NASCAR for popularity. This is something that NASCAR clearly does not want, and since they are the decacto controllers of ISC, ISC makes it a point to make life very difficult for Indycar.

SMI is more or less a purely financial deal. Texas draws a good crowd, that race will stay. If Indycar was smart, they'd look real hard at the few independent tracks still out there... Here's looking at you Pocono.

Pressdog: Oval Race Buyers' Market

Quote:
So here comes the real New Hamphire Motor Speedway and the track president says in an article posted today on the UnionLeader.com that the track likely won't host an IndyCar race in 2012.

Why? Because they needed 40,000 fans to break even and 28,000 showed up. President Jerry Gappens says "it was a significant loss." Meanwhile, more than 100,000 are predicted to show up for the upcoming NASCAR race. That will most likely be a sigificant profit. (Read the article here.)

The common response is "the IndyCar race wasn't marketed well enough!" Nah. I don't think so. That was always the excuse for crappy attendance at Chicagoland and Kansas, along with undertones of NASCAR-owned Internatonal Speedway Corporation, which owns Chicagoland and Kansas Speedways, not trying very hard to sell the race.

I gotta say it: bullshit.

End of the day, the IndyCar brand is not making oval fans want to spend at least $100 per (when you include tickets and food etc.) to attend. So don't blame the oval fans. Don't shrug it off and say "if the fans would just put their money where their mouths are, all would be well." True in the abstract, but never blame the customer. If the customer is not buying, it's not his or her fault. The customers ARE always right when it comes to how they choose to spend their money. This is business, not charity, and expecting fans to donate their disposable income to a business to keep that business running is, well, unAmerican.

http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/201 ... arket.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:55 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Cleveland coming back would be so awesome, the greatest track for racing ever!
Long straights+wide corners+nothing to hit=drivers throwing it down the inside, running wide, being repassed, trying again at the next corner, etc. (Plus occasional lol worthy Clusterfucks at the start!) Amazing.

Would do anything to see it back, sadly I fear not, even that "half oval, half road course" event stunt didn't seem to do it :(

Even as a Champcar fan back in the day, one who thought it was a shame that series only got to run 2 ovals a year in its dying days (then just one...then....*sigh*) I recognise that a North American series needs to have at LEAST 40% of its races on ovals...

Two of my favourite races of any kind this year were Milwaukee and New Hampshire, proper oval racing none of that high downforced underpowered flat out shit, so it's amazingly sad to see them gone :(

Still, looking at the silver lining amid all the gloom..Road-a-freaking-merica? YES PLEASE :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Before the pre-split awesomeness claims because of the lack of ovals, I want to remind everyone that in 1995 there were 6 ovals out of 17 races.

Which is 35% of the schedule. This year is 41%.

But, I think Indy, Iowa, Texas, Phoenix, Pocono and Fontana would be a good amount and a good variety of ovals for a schedule. If it were up to me, I would put bumpers in the cars (modifieds style) and would throw them into every independent short track in the country. Hell, I would even ask Firestone to produce a dirt tyre to have a couple of dirt track races.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:10 pm 

Joe A wrote:
Good luck with Michigan. I, like everyone else, would love to see them go back to Michigan, but I doubt ISC would really want the IndyCars back in Michigan, for whatever reason.

You're not going to get much support from the UAW giving out tickets to union employees (like they do with the taxi cab events) if all you run are Japanese engines in Italian chassis. Chevy coming back helps, but they should get back at least Ford as well before you seriously pursue the Detroit market. Even CART struggled in Michigan with attendance once only one American engine was represented, and the US 500 was sponsored by Toyota of all things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:20 pm 

Gaara wrote:
Indycars needs more American manufacturers, Chevy coming back is a start, and needs more American drivers running at the front, not dawdling at the back and being over-hyped. Ganassi and Penske should be offered incentives to run at least one American and make sure that NASCAR can't just come in and tempt American drivers away with the promise of lots of money. But that's expensive.

They do have the oval and road/street course champion idea going but you never hear about it.

You can probably fix this long standing problem by having a cheap, "grass roots" rear engine sprint car series instead of those boring Indy Light cars as your feeder system. You can not only run these on medium ovals and roadies, but also market them to short tracks as well to get domestic interest when not paired with Indycar for any given weekend. Sort of like the old Busch Series+Nascar modifieds. I would say if you're Indycar to go ask USAC for support with this, but they're pretty contempt running a front engine formula with their sprints even if its been out of date for about 40 years now, so maybe its best to create your own series in-house.

Quote:
Cleveland coming back would be so awesome, the greatest track for racing ever!

They can race wherever they want but the series still has major problems with the officiating that needs to be dealt with asap. It ruins the racing. Forget the new car for next year...they could run with the '95 engine specs and cars but as long as Brainfart is ruining things on track, its going to be hard to watch.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
Andretti Autosport will run Chevrolet engine's next year:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94765

Townsend Bell will be in for Justin Wilson in the final races:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94761

Will Power, Marco Andretti and RHR all running Chevrolet engines next year. I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:16 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

StefMeister wrote:

"The Former useless F1 driver and former useless DTM driver Jean Alesi will run a useless race in the 2012 Indy 500"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:28 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

cambridge wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

"The Former useless F1 driver and former useless DTM driver Jean Alesi will run a useless race in the 2012 Indy 500"

Jean Alesi a useless F1 driver? People have been killed for saying less than that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Alesi useless? What. Didn't he finish 2nd like 17 times.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:12 pm 

cambridge wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

He wasn't useless, those lousy Ferraris in the early 90s amongst other teams he drove for later on is what held him back. I think I remember Jean considering Williams at one point before choosing Ferrari? Imagine what could have been...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:22 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Black_Jack wrote:
cambridge wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

He wasn't useless, those lousy Ferraris in the early 90s amongst other teams he drove for later on is what held him back. I think I remember Jean considering Williams at one point before choosing Ferrari? Imagine what could have been...

Yeah, the choice was Ferrari or Williams. I remember Jean saying his head said Williams, his heart said Ferrari.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1988 posts ]  Go to page Previous 185 86 87 88 89100 Next