TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: GP3 series 2013
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:49 pm 
The first official shakedown of the new GP3 car took place today at Le Castellet in the South of France. After months of careful development, this session marked the first performance and the reliability test of the Dallara chassis, combined with a Renault 4 cylinder, 2 litres turbo charged engine and Pirelli slick tyres.

Under blue skies and on the 3D track configuration current GP2 Series championship leader Romain Grosjean took the wheel and completed a trouble-free programme. After the session he commented: “I’m very glad to have had this first taste of the GP3 car. We have had a productive day with very few small problems and many good surprises, namely in terms of speed. I have been impressed by the level of reliability of the car for a first run.

“This is a great car! It’s really fun to drive and the level of downforce is already quite impressive, although we still need to determine which one will be used. Compared to a F3, the acceleration is better and speed in fast corners is similar. One thing for sure: the GP3 car will be notably fast! The paddle shift on the steering wheel is also a great addition to a car that will definitely prepare GP3 drivers to step into the next category: GP2.

“Now that I’ve seen and tested the competitiveness of this new car, I’m really looking forward to watching the races: they should be very interesting and fun to follow!”

GP3 Series organiser Bruno Michel said: “I am very pleased to say that the GP3 Series is well on track and the development is on time. Today’s successful test run showed our car’s strong potential, and we gathered enough data to keep improving the performance and the reliability of the GP3 car.

“I am confident that it will become the perfect piece of machinery that will reveal a young driver’s skills while providing a safe and exciting show. Meanwhile, we are carefully assessing the costs of a season in our new Series: we will communicate them over the coming weeks to the many teams from all around the motor racing world that have already expressed their interest in this new Series. As previously announced, the entry selection process will take place next September, with the first official test session for the selected teams taking place next March.”

The GP3 Series, intended to be a stepping-stone into GP2, will kick off next year and will run alongside the GP2 Series in Europe.

After a successful shakedown two weeks ago, the development of the new GP3 car continued this week with a two-day test session at Le Castellet in the South of France. The first day was mainly dedicated to engine performance and implementing measures while the second day was focused on tyre testing.

Once again, Frenchman and GP2 racer Romain Grosjean took the wheel of the GP3 development car. He completed 61 laps on day two on a 3D configuration track without problem. “I am very glad that I can pursue this development task. Once more, I have been impressed by the reliability and the overall performance of this new car.

“The completed programme has given us enough data to prepare the next step. There is still some work to be done, mainly regarding understanding the tyres even better, but we are definitely working in the right direction. The GP3 car is already safe, fast and reliable.”

Technical director Didier Perrin explained: “After a trouble-free first day, we could really work on the performance of the car in race conditions. We started with a qualifying session followed by a race simulation. It was a fruitful session: a satisfying set up of the car now enables us to start working on tyre testing with Pirelli.

“Our next step is to calibrate the performance of our car compared to a F3, our benchmark. As we will be testing at an extremely demanding track for the tyres, it will help us understand better how to use the compounds to their fullest.”

As the GP3 Series testing programme continues, the organisation team for the new Series gets structured: Leon Price has been appointed Head of Operations. Price is no stranger of motor racing having worked as Team manager for DPR for four years in the GP2 Series where his organisation and people skills have always been noted as a true asset to both the team and the paddock.

Leon started his career in Motor Sport in 1994 working in composites construction at DPS Composites. In 1997, he moved to the track first as tyre technician, then a bodywork technician and finally number 2 mechanic for David Price Racing in Sports cars. From 2001 to 2003, Leon worked for Arena Motorsport as number 2 mechanic on the RDR8. He returned to DPR as number one mechanic in 2004 while the team was racing in Renault V6. DPR entered the GP2 Series in 2005 and Leon became first Chief Mechanic and then Team manager. He left the team this season.

Leon Price said: “I am very happy to join the GP3 Series. It is a new and exciting challenge! Of course, my new mission will be a bit different from everything I have been doing up until today, but I am quite excited about being part of this new adventure. I am really looking forward to helping to make this new Series as successful as the GP2 Series.”

GP3 Series organiser Bruno Michel commented: “We are very pleased to welcome Leon on board. We are convinced that his experience and knowledge of the racing world will be a real asset to our new Series. As we will be announcing the GP3 teams in the coming weeks, Leon is sure to be extremely busy soon.”

Monocoque and Bodywork Survival cell
Sandwich Carbon/aluminium honeycomb structure designed by Dallara
Front and rear wings
Carbon structures designed by Dallara
Bodywork – Carbon – Kevlar – Glass composite structures designed by Dallara
Safety standards FIA F1 2006 safety standards
Front side rear and steering column impact tests
Front and rear roll hoops, impact structures and monocoque push tests
Wheel retainer safety cables

Suspensions Front and rear double steel wishbones, pushrod operated, twin dampers, helicoidally spring suspension
Adjustable ride height, camber and toe
Two way front and rear adjustable Koni dampers
Front and rear adjustable anti-roll bar.

Engine development achieved by Renault F1. Renault 4 cylinder 2 litres turbo charged 280 HP @ 6500 rpm. Fly by wire throttle system. One rebuild per year only

Gearbox 6 speed longitudinal sequential Hewland
Electro-hydraulic command via paddle shift from steering wheel
Pure two pedals car – clutch paddle on steering wheel
On board starter
Hewland ramp differential

Wheels and Tyres O.Z. racing wheels, GP3 series specific Pirelli slick tyres

Steering system Non assisted rack and pinion steering system.
XAP carbon steering wheel with dashboard, marshalling display, gear change and clutch paddles

Brakes 4 pistons monobloc Brembo callipers.
Brembo steel brake discs 280x18
Brembo pads

Fuel cell FIA standard

Electronic features Magneti Marelli Marvel 8 ECU/GCU including data logging system
XAP power supply management unit
F1 Marshalling system pre-equipment
Beacon receiver
Camera equipment New generation roll hoop, nose cone and face shot camera pre-equipment.

According to Italiaracing the inscription will be closed tomorrow,the teams have a big interest to the series.

Bruno Michel said that 41 teams has already made a demand.

Post subject: Re: GP3 series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JP Kova wrote:
Under blue skies and on the 3D track configuration current GP2 Series championship leader Romain Grosjean took the wheel and completed a trouble-free programme.

WAT :o :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the test was already done a while ago, I think begin July

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, this was months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hang on, why have I not heard about this series? When was it announced?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:23 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Schumifan wrote:
Hang on, why have I not heard about this series? When was it announced?

Long time ago, I already forgot :lol: Believe it was like the same time of the Formula 2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:24 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The championship itself was announced last October, but the idea was around for a few months before that. The original idea was that it was going to be IFM rebadged as GP3, but as you can see that is no longer the plan.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:45 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

A) I hope it races with F1, not WTCC/DTM or wherever else FIA think to put it.

B) I hope Eurosport show it

C) I hope the racing is more like GP2's first chasis than its second

D) No Pitstops please.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:32 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Oh dear, another series ? In my opinion, there is way too many European Top Lower-Open Wheel classes. I prefer seeing 3-4 lower Open Wheel classes with full grid (30 cars) instead of 10-15 classes (with like 10-15 drivers on the starting grid). And it would be easier to see the best drivers of all...

At the moment we have:
- World Series FR3.5
- Int. Formula Master
- Formula 2
- GP2
- Formula BMW EU
- F3 (Euro Series, British, German, Italian)
- A1GP
- Superleague Formula
- Countless FR2.0 Championships (British, Swedish, Eurocup, NEC, WEC etc...)

No need for a new GP3 series. I didn't include Euro 3000, 8 drivers on the grid this year and no more TV coverage of it. It will be over for them (I think)

Last edited by Toto87 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It is getting silly and a bit dangerous as well because more series will lead to more low-quality drivers in machines too powerful for them.

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
It is getting silly and a bit dangerous as well because more series will lead to more low-quality drivers in machines too powerful for them.

that's what people where saying about F2 and Superleague Formula, and see how many great races they delivered

more series = more series to watch, which I like, it's up to the F1 and GP2 teams to be able to pick the talents out of the junior series

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Shaddix wrote:
RtN wrote:

that's what people where saying about F2 and Superleague Formula, and see how many great races they delivered

more series = more series to watch, which I like, it's up to the F1 and GP2 teams to be able to pick the talents out of the junior series

Superleague gets away with it as it's not part of the single-seater ladder, meaning that it can attract ex-F1 drivers and ex-GP2 drivers and doesn't have to rely on more junior drivers. Same with A1GP.

To be quite honest, there are at least 6 drivers in F2 who really shouldn't be there. It's supposed to be a direct feeder series to F1 and the only person in the series who looks like making it to F1 any time soon is Soucek.

And look at IFM. IFM was chock-full of retarded driving and unbelievably stupid people in 2007 because the people entered into it were not good enough for that level. Same thing's going to happen with GP3.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I understand what you are saying

I agree that most drivers in those series don't deserve a F1 seat in the future

but the series are very nice to watch and that's what matters to me

the teams in higher series are smart enough to see almost none of them deserve a seat, that's not a problem

why would it be better to have less series? a lot of people are enjoying to see those "noobs" racing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yes, it's fun to point and laugh when one of these drivers makes an amateur's mistake, but it's not so funny if drivers get hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shaddix wrote:

the teams in higher series are smart enough to see almost none of them deserve a seat, that's not a problem

why would it be better to have less series? a lot of people are enjoying to see those "noobs" racing

Diluting the talent pool for no reason other than to have another series is absolutely pointless. Call me old fashioned but I want to see the best up and comers in F3 Euroseries, Brit F3, WSbR and GP2. Some of the people graduating to the higher levels should have been filtered out the system long ago. Some tooling around 4 seconds off the leading pace is stupid and dangerous.

A1GP and SuperLeague are different because their not on the F1 Ladder, and in any case A1 will be dead come next year anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

people are saying that about A1GP every year...

thinking only the best drivers enter if there are only a few race series is naïve

it will be the drivers with the most money that can enter

the more seats there are, the less money you need to enter openwheeler racing

like here in Belgium, we have tons of great talents, but the biggest reason they aren't climbing the ladders is because lack of money, because Belgium is more GT orientated than openwheeler orientated

that's a real shame, if there are less feeder series the chances for drivers like the Belgians to show of their talent will massively decrease

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:43 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Magnifico wrote:
Shaddix wrote:

Diluting the talent pool for no reason other than to have another series is absolutely pointless. Call me old fashioned but I want to see the best up and comers in F3 Euroseries, Brit F3, WSbR and GP2. Some of the people graduating to the higher levels should have been filtered out the system long ago. Some tooling around 4 seconds off the leading pace is stupid and dangerous.

A1GP and SuperLeague are different because their not on the F1 Ladder, and in any case A1 will be dead come next year anyway.

I might give the example of Rigon. Before racing in SF, he was virtually unknown, now he is in GP2, with not so bad results, considering his team isnt brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:01 pm 
There is the team in GP3:
ART
Barwa Addax
Isport
Dams
Double R
Signature
Prema Powerteam
Manor Motorsport

THe 2 others will be choose between:
Jenzer
Carlin
Ocean Racing Technology
Trident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That is a pretty good line up of teams i must admit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:34 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I like the whole idea of the GP3 Series. I read somewhere, can't remember the date or where I read it, but the article said that they would get a Renault turbo engine, about 280 Bhp (that's about 70 more than a F3 car). The series would race together with the European F1 races which would be great. Would mean that we have GP2, GP3, FBMW and PSC alongside F1. Don't know anything about the costs or anything like that, neither when they plan to start racing this series.

FBMW - GP3 - GP2 - F1 would be a logical step for young talents. If they manage to get this series succesfull, it would be a serious opponent for Formula 3.