TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 161 62 63 64 65116 Next
 Post subject: Re: GP3 series
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nowt wrong with Suranovich's driving, that was Daly's error. Reminiscent of Schumi and Bruno at Barcelona where anticipation of a slower driver was less than impressive.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
Nowt wrong with Suranovich's driving, that was Daly's error. Reminiscent of Schumi and Bruno at Barcelona where anticipation of a slower driver was less than impressive.

Yes it was. If Bruno was weaving under braking without a rear wing in the tunnel at Monaco.

There's defending and there's being a fucking idiot. Suranovich had no rear wing on a track where downforce is just a little bit important.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I fail to see weaving under braking.

The fact that he had no rear wing yet was able to run competitively despite a huge amount of downforce was missing was incredible. Fucking idiot? He kept it on the road didn't he? That was reasonable defensive driving. If there was an issue then why wasn't he called in by the stewards.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Why the hell was he even there in the first place though? Did he honestly expect to finish the race and then not be disqualified? The stewards *should* have black flagged him ASAP.

I've said it before that it'll come one day where someone in GP2 or GP3 (or at Monaco) gets seriously injured or killed. Everyone will be shocked when it happens and wonder what went wrong; driving like that will cause it.

Daly wasn't totally blameless, but 95% of it is Suranovich's fault.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's utterly laughable Phil. Take a step back, get off your soapbox and stop being so alarmist.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
That's utterly laughable Phil. Take a step back, get off your soapbox and stop being so alarmist.

Fine. But one day the likes of F1, GP2 and GP3 won't be so fortunate. Drivers survive huge accidents because of safety improvements, but there's a lot of luck involved too. Think of Marco Campos's fatal accident. It could so easily happen again if these dire driving standards continue.

We saw it in F2 when poor Henry Surtees was killed by a lone wheel.

Last edited by phil1993 on Sat May 26, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
Moving around without a rear wing in the tunnel in Monaco? Utter, utter lunacy.

LOL I think you need to watch the replay closely, the only person moving around in the tunnel was Daly. The red car kept a consistent line through it, he didn't even need to defend because of the straight line speed advantage he had from the missing rear wing.

If you also watch the superslowmo, then the red one's line stays consistent when compared to the seals in the tarmac.

The only person doing something dangerous there was Daly himself by being so close to the red car he gave himself no time to react to even a hickup.

If the drivers need a bollocking, might I suggest master classes in overtaking be the first lesson...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And that was a freak accident which is totally irrelevant to this discussion.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:40 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

These GP3 cars obviously aren't that reliant on downforce. Going through the tunnel without a rear wing in an F1 car would indeed be lunacy. But in a GP3 car it's not such a biggy.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Moving around without a rear wing in the tunnel in Monaco? Utter, utter lunacy.

LOL I think you need to watch the replay closely, the only person moving around in the tunnel was Daly. The red car kept a consistent line through it, he didn't even need to defend because of the straight line speed advantage he had from the missing rear wing.

If you also watch the superslowmo, then the red one's line stays consistent when compared to the seals in the tarmac.

The only person doing something dangerous there was Daly himself by being so close to the red car he gave himself no time to react to even a hickup.

If the drivers need a bollocking, might I suggest master classes in overtaking be the first lesson...

How's he meant to overtake if he isn't close?

Suranovich does not stay consistent. He comes out of the tunnel on the left, jinks right then jinks back left again. I'm sorry, but I will never agree with you on this that he did nothing wrong.

And yes, freak accident indeed. But GP2/GP3 and a lot of other series have got away with it over the years. There will, at some point, be another fatality and it will hit us hard because we don't expect it in the modern era.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
kals wrote:

Fine. But one day the likes of F1, GP2 and GP3 won't be so fortunate. Drivers survive huge accidents because of safety improvements, but there's a lot of luck involved too. Think of Marco Campos's fatal accident. It could so easily happen again if these dire driving standards continue.

We saw it in F2 when poor Henry Surtees was killed by a lone wheel.

If you want to fully eliminate the danger from Motorsport, then there is only one way to do it, the Swiss way.

Both Campos, Surtees and dare I say it, Wheldon's crashes were all freak accidents that will likely never happen for another 25 years, tbh you really do need to take a chill pill once in a while, these types of accidents can happen anywhere and the likelyhood is had that exact same accident happened at say Silverstone, the results may well have been different for Daly.

Motor Racing is dangerous and needs to be dangerous, there's nothing like the fear of killing yourself to instil a bit of self control into the drivers.

phil1993 wrote:
How's he meant to overtake if he isn't close?

Erm, you give yourself a bit of room? You don't drive up behind a lorry on the motorway and wait until your 3 inches off his bumper before pulling out to overtake do you, or do you?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
If you want to fully eliminate the danger from Motorsport, then there is only one way to do it, the Swiss way.

Both Campos, Surtees and dare I say it, Wheldon's crashes were all freak accidents that will likely never happen for another 25 years, tbh you really do need to take a chill pill once in a while, these types of accidents can happen anywhere and the likelyhood is had that exact same accident happened at say Silverstone, the results may well have been different for Daly.

Motor Racing is dangerous and needs to be dangerous, there's nothing like the fear of killing yourself to instil a bit of self control into the drivers.

Oh, I agree with this absolutely. But I find that Surtees's and Wheldon were just horrendously unfortunate. An accident which resulted in their death. I think it was Saavedra(?) that made an error and it spiralled.

Accidents happen; when something like today was avoidable, that's when it's annoying. Battling over 11th place? Jeez

Oh, and he is trying to overtake a fast car in Monaco, not an HGV on the M6. Bit of a difference.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There is no difference when the logic applied in each situation is exactly the same.

How was it and should be avoidable? Answer, it cannot be. It doesn't matter where in the field you are. If you want to stop avoidable accidents you cannot because unless you're Kyle Busch those types of situations don't exist. The only way to have stopped the accident today was Conor Daly acting less desperate. He could see the situation ahead of him and all he needed was a little more patience.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:52 pm 
Sub Forum Moderator
Sub Forum Moderator

Ian-S wrote:

this is part of the reason that young drivers act the way they do: that fear isn't there any more in most situations and self control has dwindled

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Am I the only person who thinks Suranovich needs a serious bollocking here?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
Oh, and he is trying to overtake a fast car in Monaco, not an HGV on the M6. Bit of a difference.

That's exactly what Daly did though, he drove up so close behind the red car that he left himself no room to manoeuvre either way, there was a car and a half width between the red one and the right side wall, and 2 to the left, but because he was so close he couldn't even get into those positions without hitting him.

Let's not forget how the rear wing came off in the first place either, because Daly missed his braking point entering the hairpin and run into the back of him.

If anybody needs a bollocking, it's Daly, and a trip to specsavers to make sure he's not short sighted, because that shunt only proved he has trouble judging distances.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
Am I the only person who thinks Suranovich needs a serious bollocking here?

If the car is driveable and the driver is not miles off the pace, where is the problem? Seriously Phil. I know you want to be a journalist but all you're showing us (in here) is talent that'll get you a job with either the DailyFail or The Sun. Very tabloid.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
Let's not forget how the rear wing came off in the first place either, because Daly missed his braking point entering the hairpin and run into the back of him.

Well yeah, that's his fault. Almost ending up in the harbour isn't. When RoGro flew over Zuber a couple of years ago, didn't we all decide that Zuber was a complete tool? Very similar to this incident yet somehow the boot is on the other foot.

Also, Suranovich was lapping 2-3s off the pace + was 61s behind Visoiu.

Last edited by phil1993 on Sat May 26, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I fail to see the similarity...

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVO7QEq6Vt8[/youtubeidiot]

Other than it was at Monaco

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm going to back away know because you've just reverted to insults. I hoped you'd be above that.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2310 posts ]  Go to page Previous 161 62 63 64 65116 Next