TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: F1 TV Coverage Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:02 pm 
As requested, a thread to talk about the TV coverage of F1, be it the BBC for Britain, Speed for the US, MTV3 for Finland (which I'm sure will be quite a popular topic to discuss :p), Premiere for Germany (or anyone that can hack into it) or Star Sports for Asia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To start the TV coverage related discussion I will post a list of things expected to be used on the BBC's coverage this year.

* Every session will be shown Live, Practice on BBCi with Qualifying & the Race on BBC One.
* Interactive coverage avaliable for the Race only Including multiple video feeds (World-Feed, OnBoard/World-Feed, World-Feed/OnBoard & Highlights).
* Extra feeds will also be avaliable Live Online
* Choice of Several Audio Options (BBC One Commentary, BBC Radio 5 commentary, No Commentary, Potential CBBC Commentary).
* Jake Humphrey will be presenting the show on location with David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan as pundits. Lee McKensie and Ted Kravitz will be pitlane reporters, with Martin Brundle and Jonathan Legard as commentators.
* Everything shown on TV will also be shown Online with Races going onto BBC iPlayer.
* The Chain will definately be used as Theme Music.
* Extra Fan-Forum analysis shown after the race on the Red Button.
* Fan vote will be taken 2 weeks prior to each race to decide from 5 classic races that will be shown on the Red Button/Internet the week prior to each race.

1st Look at what the BBCi Coverage will be like:

Full BBC TV Shedule for the year:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... one2.shtml

Last edited by StefMeister on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:39 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

JB-F1 wrote:
, Premiere for Germany (or anyone that can hack into it)

That's luckily not possible anymore since they switched to Videoguard 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 pm 
Mattzel89 wrote:
JB-F1 wrote:
, Premiere for Germany (or anyone that can hack into it)

That's luckily not possible anymore since they switched to Videoguard 8)

No need for Brits to hack anymore anyway :p

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:44 pm 

Hawkeye wasn't really used in WRC either, GPS data again was all they needed (certainly it's not listed on their website).

Hawkeye's first 'innovation' was the trajectory of the cricket ball and where it would have gone had it not been hit - and since then it tracks other balls and I guess anything you couldn't implant a tracker in.

But apart from nit-picking, it would be cool to see things like the WRC 'Virtual Spectator' - different lines, difference in distance over the best qualifying laps, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can see BBC showing amazing animated pictures a la Fox 3D.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:06 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Here we have SportTV, a pay channel, which shows pre and post-race info along with the race. Until 2006, we had RTP, the public network, which just showed the race, and the podium and press conference if we were lucky.

Cant complain i suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone knows when F1 will start HD broadcast?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SirVanhan wrote:
Anyone knows when F1 will start HD broadcast?
BBC apparently pushed FOM for HD but Bernie is still holding it back.

For those intrested in what an F1 race would look like in HD, here is a small 8 minuite video of FujiTV's Full HD (1080) Broadcast of the 2007 Japanese Gp:
ImageImageImage
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A342POMJ

FujiTV have been broadcasting the Japanese Gp in HD since 2006, however that HD Broadcast only air's in Japan.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Will have to get my dish pointed towards the satellite wich carries the BBC channels in the next couple of weeks.

Are there triple lnb's for hotbird, astra 19°E and 28°E?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
Will have to get my dish pointed towards the satellite wich carries the BBC channels in the next couple of weeks.

Are there triple lnb's for hotbird, astra 19°E and 28°E?
I know you can get the Monoblock LNB's which work with Hotbird & Astra, I know you can get Triple-Feed 3-way LNB's in America but don't believe there avaliable in Europe to get the 3 satellite's your after.

Only thing I've seen that would allow Hotbird, Astra 19 & 28 is something like a Triple LNB holder:
http://www.satonline.co.uk/shop/products.php?p=b96ae9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:29 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ahhh a TV Coverage thread.....feels like home already *puts feet up*

All I've got to do now is kick my freeview box into recieving more than 2 channels....I hate living in a black hole :(

Oh well, I plan to be near my Sky Plus enabled home for the majority of F1 action....Free Practice from Melbourne while being able to doze on a Sofa...it has been a while! :p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:23 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I think this belongs here.

Remember those tiny Onboards which show the eyes of the drivers, the one on top of the monocoque? Well, Michael Schumacher said in an Interview which was shown today, that he hated that camera and he asked Bernie to remove it from his car. Bernie obviously declined, so Schumacher took some kind of tape and plasted it onto the camera lense :p Guess that's why we didn't see that angle in his final years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mattzel89 wrote:

Remember those tiny Onboards which show the eyes of the drivers, the one on top of the monocoque? Well, Michael Schumacher said in an Interview which was shown today, that he hated that camera and he asked Bernie to remove it from his car. Bernie obviously declined, so Schumacher took some kind of tape and plasted it onto the camera lense :p Guess that's why we didn't see that angle in his final years.
I remember ITV were following the Williams team during the 2003 Canadian Gp weekend & they had access to the Team Radio during the Friday Practice. Ralf had the Camera on the top of the cockpit looking back & didn't like it so asked FOM to remove it, which they did. Down side was they moved the camera into his Mirror & that caused the mirror to fall off during the race :lol:

I also noticed that during 1st practice at Bahrain last year, Kimi had a camera positioned there, however it was removed half way through that session so I guess he asked for it to be removed.

Weird how FOM have removed camera's for other drivers yet refused for Michael, I guess with Michael been the world champion & with him winning so regularly they wanted a camera looking into the cockpit similar to how they always had the Mirror-Cam on Alonso's car in 2005/2006 to catch his post race celebrations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:54 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

StefMeiser wrote:
Mattzel89 wrote:

I remember ITV were following the Williams team during the 2003 Canadian Gp weekend & they had access to the Team Radio during the Friday Practice. Ralf had the Camera on the top of the cockpit looking back & didn't like it so asked FOM to remove it, which they did. Down side was they moved the camera into his Mirror & that caused the mirror to fall off during the race :lol:

I also noticed that during 1st practice at Bahrain last year, Kimi had a camera positioned there, however it was removed half way through that session so I guess he asked for it to be removed.

Weird how FOM have removed camera's for other drivers yet refused for Michael, I guess with Michael been the world champion & with him winning so regularly they wanted a camera looking into the cockpit similar to how they always had the Mirror-Cam on Alonso's car in 2005/2006 to catch his post race celebrations.

Maybe it's because you could see where his eyes were looking as he planned some of his more contraversial moves...and it wasn't at the road!!

I'm dissapointed that a lot of the new camera angles in Formula One last year were either A)Put at angles to make the pitstops more interesting, so therefore were never used in the race (Except under safety car...) or B) Given to DC who promptly crashed on the first lap, denying us a sexy new onboard camera position :P

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeiser wrote:
I know you can get the Monoblock LNB's which work with Hotbird & Astra, I know you can get Triple-Feed 3-way LNB's in America but don't believe there avaliable in Europe to get the 3 satellite's your after.

Only thing I've seen that would allow Hotbird, Astra 19 & 28 is something like a Triple LNB holder:
http://www.satonline.co.uk/shop/products.php?p=b96ae9

I'll go looking for something like that then. ;)

Will DSF show free practice again? I see that they now broadcast in 16:9 so that should be a big improvement for their F1 broadcasts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:41 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

amq55 wrote:
Here we have SportTV, a pay channel, which shows pre and post-race info along with the race. Until 2006, we had RTP, the public network, which just showed the race, and the podium and press conference if we were lucky.

Cant complain i suppose.

The coverage is excellent, it's just a shame that we're losing F1 fans in Portugal since not everyone has SportTV.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

noikeee wrote:
amq55 wrote:

Cant complain i suppose.

The coverage is excellent, it's just a shame that we're losing F1 fans in Portugal since not everyone has SportTV.

Yeah, its a shame really. If they could somehow cooperate, with SportTV showing the pre and post race info, along with highlights, and RTP showing the race, using SportTV's feed, it would excellent for all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:52 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

cookie wrote:
(,,,)
Will DSF show free practice again? I see that they now broadcast in 16:9 so that should be a big improvement for their F1 broadcasts.

Yep.
They actually showed last years practices / qualifying / races in 16:9, letterbox though, but still.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:02 am 
Canm someone confirm this for me...

Have the BBC definately announced that they will be using The chain as their theme tune????????????