TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12093 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1581 582 583 584 585605 Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:29 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

And then when the money runs out, F1 will come crawling back to Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:35 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

phil1993 wrote:
And then when the money runs out, F1 will come crawling back to Europe.

It won't come crawling back. European tracks will jump at any chance to return, and F1 will slowly return.

F1 goes where the money is. Like it or not, that's the truth. Throughout the 50s-90s, most of the money was in Europe. Obviously the US was the biggest market, but being it's own culture, F1 could never really break it, leaving Europe as the primary market with only a few other races dotted about. Now, the money has moved, so F1 has moved with it. Blame Bernie if you want, but the truth is you can't hang onto the past whilst shouting about history, refusing to embrace anything new, whilst running a sport and business.

And another point I'm going to make that people won't like is - not a single person here gives a fuck where the races are. We just care about the tracks being any good. We don't mind Singapore, or even Turkey (arguably European, but whatever), but yet we bitch constantly about Valencia, and Barcelona, and before that Magny Cours. If WhoGivesAShitastan built the worlds greatest race track that produced amazing racing, then we'd embrace that too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Indeed, I can't say I have ever considered where the tracks are being located as a big issue since I never attend to GP's, but only watching on TV, and when we watch it on TV, we can't really tell if it is a Tilkedrome in Europe or in Asia, they look pretty much the same anyway.

EDIT: Man, I am the master of using only one sentence.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

phil1993 wrote:
Maria de Villota says she is close to becoming Lotus's 3rd driver, either later this month or early next month.

Although, with the amount of drivers the team has, she'll probably be 7th driver and never drive a car

Probably "a hot blonde" was one of Kimis demands..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

BrainPain wrote:
Indeed, I can't say I have ever considered where the tracks are being located as a big issue since I never attend to GP's, but only watching on TV, and when we watch it on TV, we can't really tell if it is a Tilkedrome in Europe or in Asia, they look pretty much the same anyway.

You sound like those writers of my studybooks, who always like to, while mentioning various other stuff inside one sentence, use a whole lot of commas to actually just point out one idea, which could be fitted into several, but more clear, sentences, rather than using way too much space, and making me tear my hair out whilst reading.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

lmao, I see your point :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shaddix wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
Maria de Villota says she is close to becoming Lotus's 3rd driver, either later this month or early next month.

Although, with the amount of drivers the team has, she'll probably be 7th driver and never drive a car

Probably "a hot blonde" was one of Kimis demands..

So instead Renault went and hired MdV? :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
And another point I'm going to make that people won't like is - not a single person here gives a fuck where the races are. We just care about the tracks being any good. We don't mind Singapore, or even Turkey (arguably European, but whatever), but yet we bitch constantly about Valencia, and Barcelona, and before that Magny Cours. If WhoGivesAShitastan built the worlds greatest race track that produced amazing racing, then we'd embrace that too.

I see what you're saying, but I'm going to have to disagree with that a little bit. The atmosphere and the crowd can add to the spectacle. Interlagos and Monza are fantastic examples of that. Silverstone as well. It's a slightly dated example, but the fans made Silverstone 1987 memorable.

And the new countries won't build a good race track because every new track is the bloody same. 5 miles wide. Check. A hairpin leading onto a straight that's far too long, with another hairpin at the end. Check. So much run off that any fast corner loses half its challenge. Check. (Look at Turn 8 at Turkey. It's good, but you can't put it in the same league as something like Eau Rouge or 130R, because it's ridiculously forgiving.) Either Tilke is awful, or he needs a hell of a lot more freedom.
I'm also fed up hearing about 'Impressive facilities' when we go to new circuits. Just be honest and say that the circuit sucks. I'm not watching to admire the pretty grandstands.

And I'd take Magny Cours and Barcelona (minus the horrible pointless final chicane) over Bahrain, Korea, and Abu Dhabi, without a doubt.

So yeah, half the calendar in Europe, thanks. :p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StanV wrote:
BrainPain wrote:

You sound like those writers of my studybooks, who always like to, while mentioning various other stuff inside one sentence, use a whole lot of commas to actually just point out one idea, which could be fitted into several, but more clear, sentences, rather than using way too much space, and making me tear my hair out whilst reading.

Hehe, I know how you feel. We've had articles with sentences that lasted for 10 lines or more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:43 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I see what you're saying, but I'm going to have to disagree with that a little bit. The atmosphere and the crowd can add to the spectacle. Interlagos and Monza are fantastic examples of that. Silverstone as well. It's a slightly dated example, but the fans made Silverstone 1987 memorable.

And the new countries won't build a good race track because every new track is the bloody same. 5 miles wide. Check. A hairpin leading onto a straight that's far too long, with another hairpin at the end. Check. So much run off that any fast corner loses half its challenge. Check. (Look at Turn 8 at Turkey. It's good, but you can't put it in the same league as something like Eau Rouge or 130R, because it's ridiculously forgiving.) Either Tilke is awful, or he needs a hell of a lot more freedom.
I'm also fed up hearing about 'Impressive facilities' when we go to new circuits. Just be honest and say that the circuit sucks. I'm not watching to admire the pretty grandstands.

And I'd take Magny Cours and Barcelona (minus the horrible pointless final chicane) over Bahrain, Korea, and Abu Dhabi, without a doubt.

So yeah, half the calendar in Europe, thanks. :p

Mainly agree with that. I really like Catalunya IF they remove that hideous chicane. It has some good corners, IT HAS GRAVEL. Yet that last chicane just shat all over the track.

Ideal overtaking is medium speed turn > fast turn > slow turn. Tilke hasn't grasped that. But equally, he's so limited in what he has to work with sadly.

Abu Dhabi is an amazing circuit to look at, but it sucks. The whole track is just shit. Thankfully India is better than most previous circuits and Austin & NJ look good. But in the 2000s we had so many tracks join that had so much potential, ruined by a lot of run-off. When you have a track where running wide is the optimal line (Abu Dhabi), then its pretty flawed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:23 pm 

De Cesaris fan wrote:

Korea is good :(
StanV wrote:

great job, content and form. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:

Korea is good :(

The final few corners are actually pretty good, I'll give it that. Unfortunately the rest of it was drawn with a ruler.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Williams confirms Maldonado as official driver for next season, Bottas will be the reserve driver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

phil1993 wrote:

She is 31 and has never actually had a decent result in a race from what i can see :yuk:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

krag wrote:
Williams confirms Maldonado as official driver for next season, Bottas will be the reserve driver

Meh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:27 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Romain Grosjean will test BMW DTM car next week... no more seat in F1 ? :\
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96610

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Might mean he has missed out on a seat...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ferrari and Red Bull have quit FOTA

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96614

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And that doesn't add any further fuel to the fire that some teams are overspending on the RRA, does it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

One thing to say: Idiots. that was expected.

Motorsport Lover since 1988
First TBK member to post it with a wiimote

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12093 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1581 582 583 584 585605 Next