TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12093 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1492 493 494 495 496605 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't like JV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:42 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

John Booth will be splitting Virgin Racing away from Manor Motorsports in terms of facility, perhaps into the factory that they've just bought from Nick Wirth.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:32 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gary Paffett will stay at McLaren as their official test & reserve driver in 2012.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
Shaddix wrote:
I don't like JV

Nobody does

JV does..... (I hope for him :o )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

JV also said this about Vettel

Autosport wrote:
Another former world champion, Jacques Villeneuve, believes there is no doubt about Vettel's speed, but he reckons the German's mistake in Canada shows he still has to learn to resist the pressure.

"I don't know because he has had it easy," Villeneuve said when asked about Vettel's performance.

"He is super-fast. This year his speed has improved, but the one time he had a bit of pressure, in Montreal, he cracked up. He collapsed. It was an easy race, it was won, and he just collapsed. So that has not evolved from last year."

The Canadian also believes Vettel's age - 23 - should not be an excuse to make mistakes.

"That is not an excuse, you're allowed to give anyone that's in Formula 1. At any top level of sport, excuses aren't available. It doesn't matter how old you are, you've got there and you are not young anymore.

"You are an F1 driver or a football player, but once you are at the top level, no excuses are available. You are not allowed to be young, you are supposed to learn fast."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think JV does make some good points. Vettel's pace is incredible but he never always looked 100% comfortable when racing around other cars last year. The only difference this year is that he's been so far ahead of everyone else. The real test is if he has to start any races in the midfield.

I kind of agree with him about DRS as well. I'm not sure what he meant about Canada, as that was a fantastic race and there were times when good passes were made without DRS (Schumi's double overtake out of the chicane?). Turkey would be a better example of tons of passing, yet quite boring in a way. They're still learning of course, and I'm sure the ultimate aim is to make passing possible without being able to just breeze by on a straight. I hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Woah, that JV quote is so full of hatred and utter, dishonest bitterness. "Easy race"????... Coming from a driver who made worse mistakes and had an unbelievable amount of bad drives in his late career, when he had the experience.

I mean, Canada 2006. Almost the same corner, no pressure at all, DRY race track: did he save it to finish second?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
I mean, Canada 2006. Almost the same corner, no pressure at all, DRY race track: did he save it to finish second?
Been fair though, That wasn't really as straght forward as JV just making a simple mistake.

JV only ended up running a bit offline because Ralf had no acceleration off the corners because of a car problem & kinda parked his car on the racing line. Don't forget that there was a ton of marbles & the track was breaking up & everyone who went a bit offwide was running off the track all day. JV went about an inch wider to avoid hitting Ralf on the exit & ended up on all the crap offline which sent him straght to the wall.

I pretty much agree with JV on DRS & how drivers should be allowed to race rather than get stuck with penalty's anytime they have a go at making a move, Not the biggest Hamilton fan but love the fact that he has a go & races hard.
I don't necisarily agree with JV about Vettel though. He was under just as much pressure from behind at Barcelona & Monaco & made no mistakes either time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

coldtyre wrote:
Woah, that JV quote is so full of hatred and utter, dishonest bitterness. "Easy race"????... Coming from a driver who made worse mistakes and had an unbelievable amount of bad drives in his late career, when he had the experience.

You want to bring up an example of Jacques Villeneuve crashing at Montreal and that is what you provide? Come on.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uANLeX4CzE[/youtubeidiot]

Yes, when it comes to bottling it at Montreal, there is no-one more qualified than JV. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Aye, JV was quite a master of throwing away good results in his early years, but there's nowhere in that quote where he says "look at me, I never cocked up. I'm better than Vettel."

From what I can read, he says;
He's super fast.
He's improved since last year.
He's having it easy this year.
He lost it under pressure in Canada.

Anyone really disagree with that?

I also love the fact that there's gravel at the final chicane in that Montreal clip. Notice how he had to stick with it and couldn't just cut the corner every time? *sigh*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:01 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Newey insinuates that Ferrari are responsible for the banning of the off-throttle diffusers.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92870

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:57 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Di Grassi will be Pirelli's test driver until the end of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

According to GPUpdate there will be around 90.000 spectators on Friday, 100.000 on Saturday and 120.000 on Sunday. Makes more sence to race in Bahrain and Turkey etc indeed :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

While I actually generally agree with the ban on off therottle diffusers I don't really agree with it been banned Mid-Season, Should have banned it from the start of 2012.

While Red Bull/Vettel's dominance of 2011 so far hasn't been good in terms of a good fight for the championship, Red Bull have done the best job with there car & Vettel has been driving brilliantly so why should they be unfairly penalised just because other teams can't keep up & because fans want a closer championship fight.

Lets say for example that with the rule change Red Bull are suddenly nowhere & Mclaren & Ferrrari catch & pass them in both championships (I Don't believe that will happen, just a very extreme example), I think you could then say that the 2011 championship had been manipulated.

F1 is supposed to be about the best drivers in the best cars, One team having a much better car & its driver/s doing a better job with that car is what F1 has always been about. If you start changing things Mid-season just to stop that dominance & make a closer championship fight then your doing nothing but potentially manipulating the results of the world championship.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

McLaren had the same thing when their braking system was banned in '98. Same for the Michelin teams in '03.

More to benefit Ferrari eh?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:16 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

And Renault with the mass-damper, which was banned under the same rules as the off throttle diffuser blowing is, by allowing moving parts to influence aerodynamics.

Of course, if you break that rule down and analyse it (which the teams do to every single technical regulation, to find loop holes), then what exactly does it mean? By saying moving parts cannot influence aerodynamics, you can indeed include the engine blowing through the diffuser and the mass damper dampening the bumps at the front end. But surely if blowing off throttle is illegal, then blowing on throttle is also illegal, but they aren't banning it. It's still a moving part and it's still influencing aerodynamics, it's just doing it on throttle instead of off. And surely a massive influence on the aerodynamics is the brake ducts, which are specially shaped to be smooth and even direct air places. Those move with the front wheels (and front and rear suspension), so going by this regulation, should be banned. Oh, the drivers head influences aerodynamics when it moves too - better get rid of them.

When you break these rules down and read them in plain English, rather than the spirit of the regulation (which is exactly what all the teams do), they become ridiculously vague and stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vettel to appear on Top Gear this Sunday

Quote:
World Champion Sebastian Vettel will appear on this Sunday’s episode of Top Gear, the BBC has confirmed to GPUpdate.net. On Wednesday, the German is visiting the test track in order to attempt his shot at being the ‘Star in a Reasonably Priced Car’.

Ahead of last year’s British Grand Prix, it was Williams’ Rubens Barrichello who proudly ‘Beat the Stig’ – later handing out several t-shirts to confirm it. For the F1 drivers’ challenge Vettel will take to the wheel of a Suzuki Liana and, prior to watching his best lap back, chat with host Jeremy Clarkson.

Current Top Gear F1 leaderboard:
1 Rubens Barrichello - 1:44.3
2 The Stig (2) – 1:44.4
3 Nigel Mansell – 1:44.6
4 Jenson Button (2) – 1:44.7
5 Lewis Hamilton – 1:44.7 (Wet & Oily)
6 Jenson Button (1) – 1:44.9 (Wet
7 The Stig (1) – 1:46.0
8 Damon Hill – 1:46.3
9 Mark Webber – 1:47.1 (Very Wet)
10 Michael Schumacher – no time

Episode 3 of the current Top Gear series will air at 8pm BST on Sunday.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2636 ... is-sunday/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
McLaren had the same thing when their braking system was banned in '98. Same for the Michelin teams in '03.

More to benefit Ferrari eh?

It wasn't Ferrari though. It's a little tiring F1 fans instantly pointing the finger at Ferrari for every rule change. How about we look at some of the recent mid-season changes of heart?

06 BMW Upstruts was the FIA - they needed to be banned anyway.
06 Mass Dampers was Mclaren - They couldn't get the system to work and asked for "clarification" on it.
07 Ferrari Floor was Mclaren - Using the dossier which they had been given by Stepney to even know about it in the first place.
08 Ferrari Hole in Nose - Not sure if anyone challenged this.
09 Double Diffusers was basically every team that didn't have it. Particularly the big three in Mclaren, Ferrari and BMW.
10 F-Duct was Red Bull Racing but then everyone adopted the system before it was banned for 2011.
10 Flexi Wings was Mclaren - they couldn't achieve the same amount of flex as Ferrari and RBR and wanted it checked.
11 Off Throttle was Williams - they started the whole thing asking for clarification since Cosworth do not use the technology.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Also the Williams deal with PDVSA was leaked here: http://pt.scribd.com/doc/59010972/Pasto ... PDVSA-2010 [in Spanish]

The document makes clear that it's 5-year deal and in this period the oil company has the right to secure at least one seat from the team to an appointed driver at PDVSA's discretion. So Maldonado for now but it could be whoever takes their fancy in the future. Fair to say his long term future in Formula One seems secure if this contract continues.

Interesting to also note, Tony Fernandes tweeted, that Adam? Parr tried to convince Lotus to stay with Cosworth last year but less than 12 months later they've already jumped ship to Renault.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maldonado probably stays for next few years - he's much better choice than Cecotto jr or Gonzalez.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12093 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1492 493 494 495 496605 Next