TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1698 699 700 701 7021059 Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dr dog wrote:
Randy Pemberton went nuts on twitter about how FOX is going the way of ESPN and hiring a bunch of pretty faces rather than people who actually know what they are talking about.

Jamie Little is going to be on FOX in 2015.

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/j ... :foxsports

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fact is, it's human nature that when you follow a sport/band/anything for long enough, you "like their old stuff better than their new stuff". If I started watching NASCAR in 2007 I'd probably still think it's pretty great and they're making a good thing better by mixing the chase up. But I started watching in '96, so I'll always think the old points system was better and they should bring Rockingham back and no driver will ever be as legit as Terry Labonte.

I don't think anything they could do to NASCAR will make me think it's as good as it used to be. It would be nice to have some alternative stock car leagues to move onto though, like open wheel or touring car fans do when one series gets truly shitty. That's the real problem with NASCAR, it's got no real competition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I kind of agree with you, Philthy, but then I think about using F1 as an example. I love the 90s era that I grew up with and generally started to get bored around 2002 - 2004. Then my interest in the late 00s early 10s was hit or miss. However, I'm really enjoying F1 again at the moment.

So I see no reason why I couldn't enjoy NASCAR like I used to, if they made changes that made the racing good. Screw The Chase, GWCs, lucky dogs, double file restarts, fan votes. I'd happily lose all of that if we could just have a good product on the track.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hotdogger wrote:
The main thing is they could get close to each other and not have the handling go to hell in the old days (by old, I mean until the last decade before the fucking front ends started being glued to the ground all the way around the track all the time). Heck, you got behind another car back then, the lead car got out of shape. Now it's the other way around most of the time.

I do agree with the whole field spread out more point and the point of that when the cars were close together they could really race. For some reason this came to mind....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. F1 wasn't too bad in the last few years (even through Vettel's dominance), but this year has been comparable to that 2002-2004 stretch. I've been making it a point to watch more often, but I usually end up changing the channel.

What floats one's boat obviously doesn't float others. *shrugs*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
Hotdogger wrote:
The main thing is they could get close to each other and not have the handling go to hell in the old days (by old, I mean until the last decade before the fucking front ends started being glued to the ground all the way around the track all the time). Heck, you got behind another car back then, the lead car got out of shape. Now it's the other way around most of the time.

I do agree with the whole field spread out more point and the point of that when the cars were close together they could really race. For some reason this came to mind....

Yea exactly, even if you had 2 cars on the lead lap, if they got close to each other, they could race, really race.

And like DCF said, it's not rose-coloured glasses or I'd be saying that modern F1 sucks and old days were better but I love modern F1 and hate the early 90s and early 00s.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
Andre wrote:
ChrisTRD wrote:
I'll see how the racing is before I pass judgement.

Still won't be good enough. Gotta invent a time machine to fix it properly IMO. #Na$car #hashbrown

Seriously tho, I agree.

I wonder if people actually go back and watch old races in full? And realize how ridiculously boring majority of them actually were at times?

Yes, at least once a week. It's called Classic Race Chat and it's a fucking blast. Even the commercials are more entertaining than any race in the last 5 years. Stop riding Nascar's dick and learn to accept that people are sick of watching shitty-ass races and yearn for the days when the races actually made us feel something. We don't all wear rose-tinted glasses and sing Nascar's praises. Nascar apologists are reason why the racing is as bad as it is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rose-tinted glasses looking back on old races vs. Rose-tinted glasses looking at current ones. Not sure what the difference is.

There can't be a happy medium?

Also, I don't recall anyone here actually singing NASCAR's praises. I do see *some* entertaining races these days, and all I know is that the quality of racing is moving in a favorable direction compared to where it has been. As for next year's rule changes, I'm in a "wait and see" pattern instead of flipping my shit, because that's just how I roll.

Last edited by Andre on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cArmAkAze77 wrote:
Yes, at least once a week. It's called Classic Race Chat and it's a fucking blast. Even the commercials are more entertaining than any race in the last 5 years. Stop riding Nascar's dick and learn to accept that people are sick of watching shitty-ass races and yearn for the days when the races actually made us feel something. We don't all wear rose-tinted glasses and sing Nascar's praises. Nascar apologists are reason why the racing is as bad as it is.

I'm not "riding Nascar's dick" if you will so please grow up. Clearly there's a reason you were gone from the forums for a while. I was merely saying that just because something is nostalgic or "old school" doesn't always make it better. I mean the commercials being better than any race in the last 5 years is just absolutely ridiculous to your agurment. You don't have to like today's racing. That's fine. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you watch. The amount of NASCAR bitching you do has the feeling they pissed in your Cherrios or something. I enjoy it. As do other people. Leave it at that.

Last edited by ChrisTRD on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:28 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I dunno, classic race chat seems pretty cool

I spent all the off season on the classic F1 channel on Justin.tv last year, now that's gone I have no idea what I'll do with my weekends in the winter.

Maybe some classic NASCAR will ease the no-racing pangs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tried it... you even posted in it! Nobody showed up..

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8538

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:32 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

In the off season I'll be all over it

However I'm sure my lack of showing up had more to do with not understanding US time zones tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

de31168 wrote:
Tried it... you even posted in it! Nobody showed up..

http://tbk-light.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8538

I do not know why I didn't know about this. I would have been there. Sorry man. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This should be a popular article here: http://popularspeed.com/dover-night-rac ... tt-weaver/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I do NOT want another night race at all. They need to reduce the number tbh

That said... am I the only one that really likes the look of Dover in the article picture??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No I think it looks pretty sweet actually. I agree with the article that the races themselves don't need to be at night, but a track should have lights for a "just in case" scenario.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In all honesty I think every track should have lights installed, not for night races per say, but incase of rain or what have you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And no need for full on Musco lighting that costs a mint. Dark short track style lighting looks cooler.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:19 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

The World 600, the night race at Bristol, and the fall race at Richmond are the only ones that should be at night.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:15 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And the TBK Indianapolis 500.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1698 699 700 701 7021059 Next