TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21169 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1577 578 579 580 5811059 Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:03 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Wanna know the simple solution?

Get rid of the Chase.

Yeah, team orders will still be around, but at least those won't be as blatant as what we saw on Saturday night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:54 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fuck NASCAR.

Fuck them for the opportunities they squandered, the classic tracks they left and the aero-dependent monstrosities that they turned the cars into. Fuck them for trying to catch up to the NFL. Fuck them for the chase, the patronizing kindergarten points system, manipulating cautions and biased officiating.

Fuck NASCAR for everything they had, could have been and what they've become.

I'm done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
Chris and Philthy, I understand what you're saying and I agree to a point. All of the guys on the edge have missed chances, but I don't understand NASCAR penalizing a team for being shrewd when they've created this situation by allowing too many drivers into the Chase, or really even having the Chase at all.

Because "social media" demanded action take place (and JR questioned it), that's the only reason NASCAR did anything, and all NASCAR care about is what skriptkiddies with the attention span of a fish think of them, if they gave half a dam about what life long fans thought, they'd have never introduced the Chase in the first place.

You can bet the farm that if twittersvillebook had said "Well played Sir, well played!" instead of calling for kicking MWR out of the Chase, they would have done nothing about it.

Morally, it's right that they punish MWR, if you look at this case on it's own, but it's hypocrisy at it's best when you remember that NASCAR actively encourage the teams to manipulation races by allowing the leader to pick a lane at the restart, which more often than not, especially at the bigger tracks, is governed by where your team mate is also going to restart.

That, and all the other bullshit NASCAR do on a weekly basis.

Bowyer would have been better to crash into the car in front rather than spin himself, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I don't get why people are angry. They got off lightly IMO. This is exactly what Piquet and Renault did in Singapore, but this one is even worse as the intention here was to directly screw other competitors out of a championship position by creating a yellow flag when they deemed fit. If NASCAR didn't take strong action then this would happen literally EVERY WEEK.

In F1 when Renault did this, several top management were removed from the sport and Piquet would've been banned if not for his immunity. NASCAR should have removed Bowyer from the chase as well.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

hmm yeah when you put it like that...

It's just the inconsistency of NASCAR, do one thing, say another etc. etc. The FIA can be bad but at least they have an excuse that there's never the same driver steward at 2 concurrent races, NASCAR is NASCAR full stop and they've always turned a blind eye in some circumstances and thrown the game in others.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So on one hand I have to applaud NASCAR for having the balls to penalise a team for potential race fixing, as it will / should send a strong message out to all teams that attempting to do anything similar will have strong repercussions.

However on the other hand I'm concerned by the precedent that NASCAR has set, which is that they will penalise teams and drivers without having enough substantial evidence to use as the basis for the penalty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LOL.... the Chase isn't going anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Starlancer wrote:
Fuck NASCAR.

Fuck them for the opportunities they squandered, the classic tracks they left and the aero-dependent monstrosities that they turned the cars into. Fuck them for trying to catch up to the NFL. Fuck them for the chase, the patronizing kindergarten points system, manipulating cautions and biased officiating.

I'm done.

Truth.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apparently Ricky Craven is grilling Bowyer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Starlancer wrote:
Fuck NASCAR.

I'm done.

Spoiler:
See you next week!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gael wrote:

What on the barbecue or for a TV interview?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:
Gael wrote:

What on the barbecue or for a TV interview?

Smartypants.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was kind of being semi-serious, is it for ESPN or Fox1?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I believe it was an ESPN interview. He was a snip of it.

From http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... d/2793121/

Quote:
ESPN NASCAR analyst Ricky Craven, a former driver, challenged Bowyer when the driver began talking about how much pressure there is on teams during the upcoming 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup, which kicks off Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway.

Craven, appearing emotional, said he didn't think Bowyer understood real pressure.

"You want to talk about pressure? You look at the economy and the people that spend their hard-earned money to fly to Richmond, to buy a ticket, to participate in the weekend and they might have felt like they got robbed," Craven said. "I'm only bringing up that point to suggest this is much bigger than any one of us.

"What happened Saturday night put into play the integrity of the sport. It bothered me a little bit when you said, 'Let me tell you something, the pressure that's involved in the sport, you might not understand.' '"

Answered Bowyer: "There's tons of pressure on the sport, there's tons of pressure on the drivers. I would think if anybody would know, it would be you. I apologize that you don't understand the pressure. It heats up in a big way in the Chase."

Bowyer said he'd enter the garage at Chicagoland this weekend like normal and approach it as he does every weekend, though he admitted the events of the past few days would make it "harder."

"I don't want this story to be the story of the Chase," he said.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

hedgey666 wrote:
Most important detail: I see no mention of them throwing "Mikey" out of the commentary booth.

Opportunity missed. :(

Michael Waltrip had nothing to do with what happened Saturday Night. It was Ty Norris who gave the orders. I can understand why NASCAR didn't go after Michael Waltrip because he wasn't involved in giving the orders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gael wrote:
I believe it was an ESPN interview. He was a snip of it.

From http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... d/2793121/

Quote:
ESPN NASCAR analyst Ricky Craven, a former driver, challenged Bowyer when the driver began talking about how much pressure there is on teams during the upcoming 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup, which kicks off Sunday at Chicagoland Speedway.

Craven, appearing emotional, said he didn't think Bowyer understood real pressure.

"You want to talk about pressure? You look at the economy and the people that spend their hard-earned money to fly to Richmond, to buy a ticket, to participate in the weekend and they might have felt like they got robbed," Craven said. "I'm only bringing up that point to suggest this is much bigger than any one of us.

"What happened Saturday night put into play the integrity of the sport. It bothered me a little bit when you said, 'Let me tell you something, the pressure that's involved in the sport, you might not understand.' '"

Answered Bowyer: "There's tons of pressure on the sport, there's tons of pressure on the drivers. I would think if anybody would know, it would be you. I apologize that you don't understand the pressure. It heats up in a big way in the Chase."

Bowyer said he'd enter the garage at Chicagoland this weekend like normal and approach it as he does every weekend, though he admitted the events of the past few days would make it "harder."

"I don't want this story to be the story of the Chase," he said.

Ricky Craven is so damn good at his job. NBC better sign this dude.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:28 pm 

Just saw the interview...that's how a journalist should perform at his job: no BS, straight to the point. Bowyer should take up dodgeball after NASCAR because he totally dodged his questions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It sucks what Bowyer did but it's a shame he alone has to sit in front of the cameras and answer the questions because obviously there were team meetings leading up to the race in which he was told he would be expected to do this if circumstances warranted it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:42 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Marty Smith ‏@MartySmithESPN
Hmm. On set live for OTL and am told NASCAR officials disallowed Bowyer to come on the show with us.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gael wrote:
Quote:
Marty Smith ‏@MartySmithESPN
Hmm. On set live for OTL and am told NASCAR officials disallowed Bowyer to come on the show with us.

After that post, here is what Jeff Gluck tweeted.

Quote:
MWR rep says NASCAR did not tell Bowyer to skip Outside the Lines. MWR “politely declined” and “needed to pass” on extra request.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21169 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1577 578 579 580 5811059 Next