TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1544 545 546 547 5481059 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Finch's Phoenix Racing to wrap up NASCAR operations July 28

LYNN HAVEN — Unable to find a long-term sponsor for his Sprint Cup team, James Finch is eyeballing an exit from racing all together.

"I'm contemplating finishing up this year, and I don't know if I want a sponsor," Finch said Monday. "Sunday was my 776th start in NASCAR between the Nationwide and Sprint Cup. That's a lot of weekends. I'm considering pulling the plug later in the summer."

Finch, 62, said Phoenix Racing will not enter any races after the Brickyard 400 scheduled for July 28 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He said he intends to wrap up team operations before the Chase for the Cup begins in September.

"I have not been able to get the right amount of funding, the economy is pretty bad, and a lot of people don't want to do it," Finch said of his team's fruitless search for a permanent sponsor. "I'm getting kind of burned out. I think it is time for me to do something else."

Finch's decision comes in the midst of one of his most successful seasons as an owner. Finch currently is tied for 13th in NASCAR's owner points standings with 276 points, just a handful of points outside the Top 10. Phoenix Racing enjoyed a fourth-place finish with Kurt Busch behind the wheel for the Nationwide race at Talladega this past weekend, and Regan Smith steered the team's No. 51 car to a sixth-place finish in Sunday's Aaron's 499.

The team's success, which includes a pair of Top-10 finishes and five Top-15 results, did not appear to help the team find a full-time sponsor, however. The team has found sponsors for individual or small blocks of races, but the lack of a permanent sponsor has forced Finch to cover his team's considerable costs on his own.

That business model simply is not sustainable against deep-pocketed teams such as Hendrick Motorsports, Richard Childress Racing, Roush Fenway Racing and others.

"I don't want to lose everything I've got trying to outrun people," Finch said. "I can't do that. It's time to do something else and go from there. I've still got some cars I haven't torn up. And I don't want to build any new ones."

Finch's immersion into NASCAR as an owner began with one race in the Busch Grand National Series in 1989. His team competed in four Winston Cup and four Busch Grand National races in 1990. Phoenix Racing focused solely on Busch races from 1997 to 2000, running in 35 races in that final season.

Finch returned to Winston Cup racing in 2001, competing largely on a part-time basis for the next decade while continuing to squeeze in occasional Busch/Nationwide races. Phoenix Racing ramped up its Sprint Cup efforts in 2011 and has competed in all 36 races each of the past two years.

"I started with all my friends, and now I'm racing with a lot of their sons," Finch said. "Austin Dillon, he's a little kid who drove for me (twice this season). I remember when he was born."

Finch said he will help his 18 employees find work with other racing teams if they want to remain in the sport.

"I'll try and get some friends to hire some of them," he said. "I definitely want to take care of them."

Finch may know his days as a Sprint Cup team owner are numbered, but he's no less competitive now than he was decades ago when he raced dragsters, stock cars and motorcycles. He quipped that Smith could have been more aggressive at the end of Sunday's race.

"Regan hooked up with Jimmie Johnson, and he wanted to stay with Jimmie," Finch said of a late restart. "Jimmie's a five-time champion. He makes millions of dollars per year. But I think Regan should have hung him out to dry and jumped in the middle.

"Regan's with the Hendrick organization (like Johnson) and drives their Nationwide car. He was trying to help Jimmie as much as he could. But sooner or later you have to say, 'Hey, bye. This happens to be the end, my friend.'"

:flag:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That really sucks for that team. Will never forget their lone Cup win at Talladega in '09 with Brad Keselowski. They're a team you always want to see do well despite their low budget.

Sunday felt like the '09 spring race all over again, but that was with a low-budget, multi-car operation (Ragan & Gilliland).

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That sounds familiar...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep, he's said that a time or two already.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Penske Racing suspension of 7 crew members reduced from six plus all-star race to two. Rest of penalties stand.

No penalty for Newman's rant after Talladega, however, we did get this gem:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Look what's being published again. I used to get these every year. They weren't published the last couple of years.

They even put the 2012 Rolex Grand-Am Series results in this year's edition.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Brad Keselowski posted an apology on his website for what he said about the confusion on the final restart at Talladega. I'm glad that he admitted that he was wrong.

http://bradracing.com/news/open-letter-sundays-race-talladega

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FHgrad99 wrote:
Look what's being published again. I used to get these every year. They weren't published the last couple of years.

I used to love those! Pre internet, that's where you'd find all the new paint schemes.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FHgrad99 wrote:

Where did you get this at?

I was wondering why I hadn't saw them the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

SecretAgentHarvick wrote:
FHgrad99 wrote:

Where did you get this at?

I was wondering why I hadn't saw them the last couple of years.

I found it at Books-A-Million. Appearently it wasn't published the last couple of years for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joe Gibbs Racing's appeal was heard today and here is what happened:

Quote:
Gibbs' penalties reduced by appeals panel: According to reports from media at the NASCAR Research & Development Center, the National Stock Car Racing Appeals Panel has modified the penalties accessed to Matt Kenseth's #20 team:
Kenseth's points penalty has been reduced from 50 to 12;
Joe Gibb's owner points penalty has been reduced from 50 to 12;
The marnufacturer's point penalty to Toyota has been increased from 5 to 7 points;
Kenseth's win at Kansas will now count for the Chase;
Crew Chief Jason Ratcliff's suspension has been reduced from 6 races to 1. His fine remains at $200,000.
The appeal panel consisted of Mark Arute (Stafford Motor Speedway), Denis McGlynn (Dover Raceway) and Jack Housby (former team owner).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FHgrad99 wrote:
Joe Gibbs Racing's appeal was heard today and here is what happened:

Quote:
Gibbs' penalties reduced by appeals panel: According to reports from media at the NASCAR Research & Development Center, the National Stock Car Racing Appeals Panel has modified the penalties accessed to Matt Kenseth's #20 team:
Kenseth's points penalty has been reduced from 50 to 12;
Joe Gibb's owner points penalty has been reduced from 50 to 12;
The marnufacturer's point penalty to Toyota has been increased from 5 to 7 points;
Kenseth's win at Kansas will now count for the Chase;
Crew Chief Jason Ratcliff's suspension has been reduced from 6 races to 1. His fine remains at $200,000.
The appeal panel consisted of Mark Arute (Stafford Motor Speedway), Denis McGlynn (Dover Raceway) and Jack Housby (former team owner).

Deleted mine, used yours. I'm very happy with the results.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

A 12 point penalty is nothing for Kenseth once the Chase starts. He got off easy.

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:44 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Considering all the circumstances, I think this is a good call.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

FREE CARL LONG

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FHgrad99 wrote:

Those were great. I picked up 1998 when I visited Daytona. Ended up buying 1999 and 2000 the following years.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've got '91 and '93 laying around the house somewhere. I've seen 2013 at work, didn't think they did those any more.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:17 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Talk, talk, Brad......

https://twitter.com/keselowski/status/333038668103172096

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pot meet Kettle, or doesn't that apply to CWS?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jeff wrote:
I've got '91 and '93 laying around the house somewhere. I've seen 2013 at work, didn't think they did those any more.

I think I have every one dating back to 1992, but some are in pretty rough shape.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1544 545 546 547 5481059 Next