TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21169 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1530 531 532 533 5341059 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm no Denny fan, either, and I do believe that fining drivers for disparaging remarks to be a bit harsh. The days of Earnhardt (or whoever) saying "they need to take the seats out of Daytona and install cots" seem so far away when someone gets fined for criticising the quality of racing. A few things to keep in mind, however.

Of the four tracks the Gen-6 car has been tested or run at, two have been plate tracks. What could they possibly expect to learn from the Charlotte test that could be applied to a place like Phoenix? Like Kyle Busch said, the old car sucked too, at first. It took some tweaks, and you're going to need to learn more time to about it.

Of course, you could schedule more tests (which they have - how often do you see Thursday testing at the track before Friday qualifying), but then you do that, and people like Dale Jr. will bitch that they can't stand testing... well, what do you want?

Another thing to remember is that NASCAR is boss. Whatever they say, goes. We might not like it, the drivers might not like it... but guess what, that's how it is.

Never mind the fact that the $25,000 would go to charity, and Denny's refusing to pay it like a spoiled little bitch. Yes, "principle", blah blah blah. Pay it, and keep talking if you need to. There are team members and sponsors that are depending on you being in that car on Sunday.

JUST PAY IT AND STFU.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I may be in the minority of you but Im not upset NASCAR fined Denny. Todays NASCAR is different than yesterdays NASCAR. If Kurt Busch got suspended for getting out of his seat while his car was moving under caution to clean the windshield, you'd all be saying it was deserved because its stupid, dangerous. But Dale did it back in the day, awesomeness. Point is, times are different now. NASCAR is mainstream. Guys in the NFL, NBA, etc get fined all the time for criticizing the officiating. If my work heard I was talking down about their products, you're damn sure shit would hit the fan for me, even if its my opinion. The driver needs NASCAR more than NASCAR needs the driver. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's the fact he was fined for telling the truth that stinks most, you should never have to check with your governing body before telling the truth.

Hamlin may have been a bit premature but he was just calling it like he sees it.

Also there's another aspect to it, if he'd have declined whatever interview he made those comments in, he'd likely be in more trouble with nascar.
So decline the interview due to not wanting to speak out against nascar, trouble
Do the interview and tell the truth, more trouble.
Must be suffocating.

Maybe nascar should send the drivers scripts after each race so they know exactly what to say that's "on message" :yuk:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The "truth" Denny may have indeed been speaking... but it was some pretty harsh criticism for a car that had just seen it's first real test. We all know it's a work in progress - no need to call the whole thing a failure right off the bat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NASCAR should be smart enough to realise that fans don't want to see a bunch of corporate employees with evangelical-like devotion to the code. Occasional dissent and calling it like they see it is what has made some of the sport's most marketable figures like Stewart and Earnhardt. NASCAR can do what they want, but they'd be stupid to control driver statements this obviously. Following Jeremy Clements' penalty though it's clear whoever's coming up with these penalties is clueless about brand image.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:40 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Hamlin said that he'll appeal the fine, citing that it's "more than just money."

Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut, but then again, NASCAR's not being bright here, either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:30 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you remember back to 2010, Clint Bowyer dragged NASCAR through the mud for what he felt was a 'show' caution that cost him the win during a regular season race at Pocono. Well, a few months later, he won the first round of the Chase and his car was immediately found to be illegal. He was fined 150 points, essentially taking him out of championship contention that year. Many say it was something so small and insignificant to the performance of the car that NASCAR could have let it slide if they wanted but they did it to get back at Clint for his earlier impudence toward them. I think Denny is in for a similar rough road in that he will not get a break from NASCAR at a critical juncture.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Excessive fine for off the cuff comment in post race interview about how hard the cars are to pass in, duh, it's not like he said the Gen6 car was nigger-rigged or jerry-rigged or bodged together or anything...

Sounds like someone at NASCAR has got a tad too sensitive in the off season, maybe if the TV figures divebomb they might stop this politically correct pussy footing around and fix the issue, taking the roofcam off isn't really going to make a lot of difference....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:
Excessive fine for off the cuff comment in post race interview about how hard the cars are to pass in, duh, it's not like he said the Gen6 car was nigger-rigged or jerry-rigged or bodged together or anything...

Sounds like someone at NASCAR has got a tad too sensitive in the off season, maybe if the TV figures divebomb they might stop this politically correct pussy footing around and fix the issue, taking the roofcam off isn't really going to make a lot of difference....

"Off the cuff"? Kyle Busch's "I don't like it, it sucks" was off the cuff.

Even after the cameras were turned off, Denny was still spouting the same stuff about the car, basically saying that it was a piece of junk, and that none of the work done so far had been valuable at all.

I agree that it sucks that a driver can't speak his mind about something like the raceablity of a race car, but it has to be reasonable. On top of that, like Chris said above, the sport is in a completely different spot than it was 10-15 years ago. With social media and everything, word gets around fast, and even though someone above scoffed at the idea that fans wouldn't be able to make up their own minds about it, that is most certainly the case. If you have a different opinion than the rest, you get blasted for it.

This coming Sunday, I dare any of you to come into this forum and say "I think Danica's doing great", and genuinely mean it. We'll see how well that goes over.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wasn't talking about any comments off camera... I only saw the post race interview and it seemed very matter of fact.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:
I wasn't talking about any comments off camera... I only saw the post race interview and it seemed very matter of fact.

Well, for sure. It does need work. The other car did, too. He just vented a wee bit too much to too many media outlets about a car that's still in its infancy. I'd say he made NASCAR look bad, for sure.

I mean, NASCAR does a fine job of that by themselves, but still. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not really sure what to add, other than NASCAR appears to run by complete bellends.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I could personally give 2 shits if Denny Hamlin was fined $1 or $100,000. What matters to me is what goes on Sunday. It's only been 2 races. 2 races! Just stop with the judgment. The Gen 4 or Twisted Sister car, well anyone that has seen that car in person, that car was so far from proportional it was disgusting and one ding in a fender, your day was garbage. The COT was picking the fuckin left front off the ground like 3 or 4 inches on corner exit at Martinsville when it first ran there. That car got straightened out, this one will too. I'm so sick of the "I need it now" mentality that has swept across society these days. Just relax, have some fuckin fun, and enjoy that you get to see cars going around in circles on Sundays.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:05 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The racing should be great from the green at Daytona to the checkers at Homestead

Danica will be doing great on Sunday

Kyle Busch is talented and will be lauded by the fans like Dale was before he retires

NASCAR need to get a tighter control about what their drivers say, in fact they shouldn't sell the TV contract but broadcast the races themselves and have the drivers talk only in soundbites....."I'd like to thank my sponsors, the team for the great job they did, and the lord Jesus for favouring me over the other 41 guys praying to him for help with their race...."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:57 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I kinda look at the Denny situation this way...

You and your wife build a house. It's taken years and years, but you've finally gotten to the point where you can get a house that you can look at and say "great, a nice looking house". You spend years planning it out, and you know it's going to take a while to make it feel like a home. You spend tons of cash to make it happen, and you couldn't do it without the help of a few friends (i.e. manufacturers) along the way. Once the roof it up, you can actually sleep in it, and though it still needs a lot of work, it feels great to sleep under your own roof.

Then, the morning after that first night you spend in the house, some punk kid starts bitching that the house is terrible, that it was a waste of money, and the absolute worst house he's even stayed in. This kid is a know-it-all, gets good grades, and should technically be grateful that he actually got one of the bigger bedrooms in the house.

But no, he bitches and complains.

As a parent, your only choice is to teach him a little something about manners, and maybe even whip out the wooden spoon (if you're so inclined, of course).

Even then, the kid just does not get it.

That is why I'm not on Denny's side on this one. 1 test at Talladega, 1 test at Charlotte, 1 test and race at Daytona, and 1 race at Phoenix... you can't tell jack squat about a new car at Daytona or Talladega, so you can throw those tests out of the window when it comes to intermediate tracks. That means you have the Charlotte test, and a race at Phoenix.

So, after the race at Phoenix, Denny seemed to think it was a grand idea to spout his annoyances not once, but to several media outlets, about a car that just had its first race on an intermediate track.

$25,000 is a fair fine. My two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Kyle Busch is talented and will be lauded by the fans like Dale was before he retires

I actually feel like this could happen though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Woodski wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

I actually feel like this could happen though.

Yep. It's kinda happening with Jeff Gordon now. Former bona-fide Gordon haters seem to be gaining respect for him. They reverted to Gordon haters after Phoenix last year, of course, but it's prety much how it's been going.

I can see myself maybe pulling for Kyle in his later years, especially if he hasn't won a title.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:11 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

codename_47 wrote:

Kyle's problem is that he's a prick on and off the track. I don't see him changing. I won't be surprised if ends up just like his brother.

Andre wrote:
Yep. It's kinda happening with Jeff Gordon now. Former bona-fide Gordon haters seem to be gaining respect for him. They reverted to Gordon haters after Phoenix last year, of course, but it's prety much how it's been going.

The hate that was directed at Gordon was because he dominated Nascar in mid to late 90s. Plus, he was the driver who knocked Earnhardt off his perch. Jeff was never really asshole on and off the track. I noticed that when he and Evernham split in late in 1999 season. The hate directed at Jeff began to go away. You can't compare Kyle to Jeff and Dale. Kyle attitude plus the crap he pulls on the track is why he's hated.

Last edited by Ferrari on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NASCAR has a problem with drivers not having personalities and this is fucking why.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21169 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1530 531 532 533 5341059 Next