TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1467 468 469 470 4711059 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:25 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Quote:
Indy considering installing lights: Despite attendance struggles at the Brickyard 400 (now known as the Crown Royal presents the Curtiss Shaver 400 at the Brickyard) over the past five years, there's no talk from NASCAR or Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials about discontinuing the race. IMS officials said the commitment on both sides couldn't be stronger for continuing the race long-term and making it stronger than it currently is. "I don't think either party could be more secure in its relationship with [the] other," said IMS spokesman Doug Boles. "There is no thought internally or within NASCAR that this race shouldn't continue." To bolster sagging attendance, Speedway officials are breaking new ground this year and may be willing to break even more ground in future years. For the first time, the IMS will host Grand Am and NASCAR Nationwide races over the weekend in conjunction with the Sprint Cup headliner on Sunday. More radical changes could be coming. Speedway officials this week told IBJ that they have discussed installing lights at the massive facilitya project that would cost tens of millions of dollarsto allow races at night, particularly NASCAR events. "Those types of discussions are more common now than they were even a year and a half ago," Boles said. "One consideration is it would allow us to get fans out of the heat of the day." Erecting lights would be a major departure for Speedway officials, who previously have shunned the idea. IMS stands as one of the few major race tracks nationally without lights.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

inb4 Truck night race.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:05 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RUN IT(CUP) AT IRP!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:10 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Quote:
Indy considering installing lights: Despite attendance struggles at the Brickyard 400 (now known as the Crown Royal presents the Curtiss Shaver 400 at the Brickyard) over the past five years, there's no talk from NASCAR or Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials about discontinuing the race. IMS officials said the commitment on both sides couldn't be stronger for continuing the race long-term and making it stronger than it currently is. "I don't think either party could be more secure in its relationship with [the] other," said IMS spokesman Doug Boles. "There is no thought internally or within NASCAR that this race shouldn't continue." To bolster sagging attendance, Speedway officials are breaking new ground this year and may be willing to break even more ground in future years. For the first time, the IMS will host Grand Am and NASCAR Nationwide races over the weekend in conjunction with the Sprint Cup headliner on Sunday. More radical changes could be coming. Speedway officials this week told IBJ that they have discussed installing lights at the massive facilitya project that would cost tens of millions of dollarsto allow races at night, particularly NASCAR events. "Those types of discussions are more common now than they were even a year and a half ago," Boles said. "One consideration is it would allow us to get fans out of the heat of the day." Erecting lights would be a major departure for Speedway officials, who previously have shunned the idea. IMS stands as one of the few major race tracks nationally without lights.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:38 am 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

No, Brian France is not to blame for every little stupid thing in NASCAR.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:35 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hmmm, pretty lame.

Though the one thing I do like about any track having lights is that it can help reduce race postponements when it rains.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
Hmmm, pretty lame.

Though the one thing I do like about any track having lights is that it can help reduce race postponements when it rains.

Exactly. No longer do we get a race called early. We can wait it out till deep in the night. Example Pepsi 400 '05.

This looks like an IMS move, not a NASCAR move. I do not hate night races, in fact, summer races are much easier on the attending fan at night than a day race. But if a track has 2 races and has lights, I'd make it so at least one of the races were a day race... hello Richmond!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:15 pm 

ChrisTRD wrote:
But if a track has 2 races and has lights, I'd make it so at least one of the races were a day race... hello Richmond!

I agree with this. It would be more like two different tracks even though it's not.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

lre4973 wrote:
ChrisTRD wrote:
But if a track has 2 races and has lights, I'd make it so at least one of the races were a day race... hello Richmond!

I agree with this. It would be more like two different tracks even though it's not.

Still, I fear tracks will abuse the system and run both races at night.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:42 pm 

mclaren2008 wrote:
Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Quote:

It sounds more like an IMS thing than a Brian France being stupid thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well to be fair to IMS, they are merely responding to low attendance, which can at least in part, be attributed to Brian.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here's an idea. Stop going to Indy. Race at IRP, sell out guaranteed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

But that is what the fans want. They can't do that.

MORE RACES AT CHICAGOLAND, KANSAS, and CALIFORNIA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:31 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Shane wrote:

A weak crowd at Indy is probably still more revenue than a full house at IRP. Unless that place holds a lot more than it looks.

Again, not disagreeing with keeping the Nationwide series at IRP, just making a point that might be relevant to NASCAR's decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

28 teams testing at Michigan today.

Danica Patrick was in the 14, the engine let go on her and she hit the wall in T2. She's unhurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
Shane wrote:

A weak crowd at Indy is probably still more revenue than a full house at IRP. Unless that place holds a lot more than it looks.

Again, not disagreeing with keeping the Nationwide series at IRP, just making a point that might be relevant to NASCAR's decision.

IRP has room for more seating. And at the rate of attendance decline for Indy it might not even need to add more seating to match Indy. The wonder and excitement of stock car racing at Indy is gone. The races are painful to watch. The only decent show was GrandAm which was exemplified because of the road course and rain.
Well...there's an idea...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Trucks in the infield at Indy, under the lights.

That'd be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd settle with a Truck race at any road course, period.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

After seeing the entry list for the Cup race at Pocono, I think the chances of a caution-free race have decreased because Jon Wes Townley is driving the #32 car in the Sprint Cup event.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We don't have caution-free races in the Brian France era anyway. ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1467 468 469 470 4711059 Next