TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1452 453 454 455 4561060 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was a Rusty fan and was actually very surprised he made it. But still, he has some very good numbers. Had things gone his way, he could have easily been a 3 time champion. 55 wins plus a Winston and Shootout win. I just think that stats should play a big part. That said, I truly think the best thing for the Hall would have been to induct at least 10 people in the first 5 classes then back down to 5 per class.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:03 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

They should have had classes as they were building the facility, not starting as soon as it was completed.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nascar had the potential for this to be one of the best professional sports HOF's ever.....but as usual they fucked it up in the end. The first class should have been at least 10-12 people who built and molded the sport into what it is today. I guess this is what they get for having a half-assed pit reporter named Winston Kelley run the joint.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
It should be by statistics.

It doesn't always work that way, though. Especially pre 1972, because people just didn't run as many races as they would today.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

simonracer wrote:
ChrisTRD wrote:

It doesn't always work that way, though. Especially pre 1972, because people just didn't run as many races as they would today.

You're right. I should have said by statistics during that driver's era.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

If it were all about statistics a lot of people would be shafted unfairly. Dave Moody made a great point about Fireball Roberts on Sirius yesterday. Though his numbers weren't exactly spectacular (though I guess they could have been if he hadn't been killed), he was apparently the first of the popular, media-saavy drivers to come along in NASCAR. In a way, he was the first "superstar" with a considerable fanbase and started getting awards and recognition in the sports media that hadn't come to drivers before. That's HoF material.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well in that case Chad Ochocinco will be a given to reach the NFL's Hof? In all the other sports you have to be the cream of the crop, why should NASCAR be any different? Look at MLB, people debate that Andy Pettitte may not be a HoF pitcher. In 17 years, 242-139, 3.87 ERA, 5 Championships, most post season wins in history. But some people still don't think that will get him in... at least not first ballot. Of course there's the HGH thing too. To me a HoF nomination, for a driver, is what he accomplishes on the track, not what he says in a microphone or tweets about afterwards.

For instance, unless Jr... and I love Jr.... wins a championship, I do not see him as a HoF driver and even if he does win one, I don't think he's first ballot because of his inconsistancy and low win total driving superior equipment. I also think that 1 Championship and 50+ wins should beat out a driver with 0 championships and less than 50 wins reqardless. Not to mention in 1993, Rusty won 1/3 of all the races run. That's pretty impressive in itself.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:23 pm 

I don't think the debate is whether or not Rusty is hall of fame worthy, more like, should he be in so soon ahead of others that might be more deserving. People such as T Wayne or Ralph Seagraves whose Winston sponsorship and Winston Million program helped propel the sport to bigger notariety and actually allowed drivers to earn a good living in the sport. I mean they've had just as much of an impact as a driver has.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Very true and there lies the real problem. NASCAR fucked up by having 5 person Hall classes. Should have been 10-15 for the first 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
Well in that case Chad Ochocinco will be a given to reach the NFL's Hof? In all the other sports you have to be the cream of the crop, why should NASCAR be any different? Look at MLB, people debate that Andy Pettitte may not be a HoF pitcher. In 17 years, 242-139, 3.87 ERA, 5 Championships, most post season wins in history. But some people still don't think that will get him in... at least not first ballot. Of course there's the HGH thing too. To me a HoF nomination, for a driver, is what he accomplishes on the track, not what he says in a microphone or tweets about afterwards.

Motorsports in general shouldn't be all about statistics.
ChrisTRD wrote:
simonracer wrote:
ChrisTRD wrote:

You're right. I should have said by statistics during that driver's era.

Just look at all the journeymen drivers who drove the majority of their of their careers in sub-par equipment who didn't do so bad, but may have never gotten a fair shot at a decent ride.

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 5:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

OldAsphalt wrote:
Just look at all the journeymen drivers who drove the majority of their of their careers in sub-par equipment who didn't do so bad, but may have never gotten a fair shot at a decent ride.

Now we are talking journeymen drivers? I don't get what you're saying here. So we should reward drivers who never had top equipment but we THINK they would have done great should they have had the opportunity?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:40 pm 

Speaking of... I surely hope that Dave Marcis or Ricky Rudd make the hall of fame eventually for their longevity in the sport and consecutive race streaks and in Marcis' case consecutive Daytona 500's.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some sad news.

Quote:
‏@jeff_gluck: Longtime pit reporter @DickBerggren will retire from pit road duties after Dover race. Will stay active in racing though. ‪#NASCAR

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Dick has always been a great guy during the broadcasts. Hope he enjoys the next stage in life.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:40 am 

Sandeep Banerjee wrote:
Some sad news.

Quote:
‏@jeff_gluck: Longtime pit reporter @DickBerggren will retire from pit road duties after Dover race. Will stay active in racing though. ‪#NASCAR

First Bob Jenkins, now Dick. Damn :sad:

Sent from my Full Android on Supersonic using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:51 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

last good part of the fox broadcast is now gone

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
In all the other sports you have to be the cream of the crop, why should NASCAR be any different?

It's always going to be a measure of impact on the sport, which is not purely about stats and win rates. Does Mark Martin deserve to be in the HoF? I would argue that he does, considering his respect level among competitors, longevity in the sport and competitiveness across most of that career. But although he's got a pretty good win count he hasn't won a championship or any of the big races. On the other hand is Dale Jarrett HoF material? Although he's a champion and has won more than a few big races, to me he isn't. I guess all that says is that everyone's criteria for greatness is different and hall of fames much like the Oscars are a marketing tool with no scientific value.

I will be disappointed if the NASCAR hall of fame doesn't include Wendell Scott or Janet Guthrie, their impact on the sport makes them worthy although their stats don't.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 1:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
Danica would like to run Indy 500, Coca-Cola 600 together next year: Danica Patrick wants to compete in her eighth Indianapolis 500. Her Sprint Cup team owner, Tony Stewart, said before the season he hoped Patrick would be ready to ascend from the Nationwide Series to Sprint Cup full time in 2013. With Patrick unlikely to skip a Cup race as a full-time driver, especially NASCAR's Coca-Cola-sponsored Memorial Day event and especially after recently joining the brand's line of endorsers, there is now the highly intriguing possibility of one of sports' most recognizable figures resurrecting the fabled but fallow Indianapolis-Concord "double." Charlotte Motor Speedway president Marcus Smith wants to do his part, as do many in motorsports. "That's a big deal," he said of Patrick's aspirations. "She's a competitor. She's hungry and she wants to race. I think that's another piece of the story here, just for her to say that is a big deal. I don't think she'd say it if she didn't mean it. Man, if she wanted to do that I definitely would love to help any way we could. We would spring for the helicopter ride to get her from the airplane to the speedway." Stewart said he would support Patrick if she wanted to attempt both races. "Absolutely. She's more than welcome to do it," he said. "I'm sure it would be big." Patrick's agent, Mark Dyer, said he is "developing plans" for a possible double bid, "whether it happens next year or not." Though the pursuit would be highly documented and likely garner mainstream attention, it would not be attempted simply for publicity, he said.(in part from ESPNW)(5-27-2012)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:52 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Who?

The only person I know who runs the GoDaddy car in IndyCar is Manica Patrick James Hinchcliffe.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:24 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tommy Vercetti wrote:
Who?

The only person I know who runs the GoDaddy car in IndyCar is Manica Patrick James Hinchcliffe.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21191 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1452 453 454 455 4561060 Next