TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1388 389 390 391 3921059 Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:27 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

kals wrote:
Slyder wrote:
You're welcome. (sorry, bad mood day).

Hey no worries, it doesn't matter. My comment wasn't supposed to create an arguement or come across as trolling but clearly that failed.

To be clear - I know there's a difference between the scenarios and longevity of the issues both Power and Busch have been involved in. However in some respects lengths of time should be totally irrelevant. Does that mean that it's ok to be abusive if it's only for a brief moment? Definately not. Abuse is abuse. This is not me versus Will Power. This is me versus common courtesy, or common sense. There is no appropriate time to be abusive to someone, regardless of the trigger point of the said abusive reaction. Both Busch and Power could have reacted to their scenarios in different ways, been the bigger men, but they chose to behave like pathetic individuals. The same is said for Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch and some other people in other forms of motorsport like Hamilton for his post Monaco rant and Stoner for his behaviour towards the marshalls and Rossi after Jerez. People can blame the heat of the moment for losing control of their emotions and in this sport it's something we enjoy from time to time. But it doesn't make it right and these individuals are supposed to be role models to fans, their team and sponsors alike.

I understand what you're saying, but we must also use common sense ourselves. If you see somebody who's in a bad mood, are you really going to try and start a chat or crack a joke at him? Of course not, cause 9 times out of 10, the minute you do so, you'll be told off. That's just the way it is. Is it right what he did? of course not. But can you blame him? I honestly can't.

This whole thing with the video of Kurt Busch, I honestly think that Jerry Punch and the producers should've known better. Why couldn't they just tape the friggin interview? Was it really that important for it to be live and make Kurt waste his time there for no reason? Why even give the interview at all if you know the person is in a bad mood and chances are he'll just tell you off?

Pfft, I can only imagine if Dale Earnhardt were alive today, or if Rusty Wallace were racing in this day and age, they'd both be fired too for God's sake. Pure corporate bullshit as well. Why would these people even CARE what the driver does or does not? He flipped somebody off? Boy, what driver hasn't? Should they be fired as well? All those sponsors should care about is for their car that they're sponsoring gets photographed with a big fucking trophy right to its side. For them to force drivers to become corporate muppets (and even bad ones at that, hence why Kurt hated such things) is rather pathetic.

Ok, end rant. Debate away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:09 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

dont you see its the whole direction that sport has taken in the last few years? you cant compare it to anything done by earnhardt ever. noone would ever fire a legend. kurt busch has been around for what... 10 seasons? Being a 1 time champ (just as rusty) and winning over 20 races. But who really gives a shit about him? I guess what I'm trying to say is that drivers are hardly icons nowadays. theres a lot of good guys with no real personality. thats what makes it easier for the team owners and sponsors to fuck them over. there's no household names in this bunch.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
Slyder wrote:
You're welcome. (sorry, bad mood day).

Hey no worries, it doesn't matter. My comment wasn't supposed to create an arguement or come across as trolling but clearly that failed.

To be clear - I know there's a difference between the scenarios and longevity of the issues both Power and Busch have been involved in. However in some respects lengths of time should be totally irrelevant. Does that mean that it's ok to be abusive if it's only for a brief moment? Definately not. Abuse is abuse. This is not me versus Will Power. This is me versus common courtesy, or common sense. There is no appropriate time to be abusive to someone, regardless of the trigger point of the said abusive reaction. Both Busch and Power could have reacted to their scenarios in different ways, been the bigger men, but they chose to behave like pathetic individuals. The same is said for Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch and some other people in other forms of motorsport like Hamilton for his post Monaco rant and Stoner for his behaviour towards the marshalls and Rossi after Jerez. People can blame the heat of the moment for losing control of their emotions and in this sport it's something we enjoy from time to time. But it doesn't make it right and these individuals are supposed to be role models to fans, their team and sponsors alike.

The *only* reason Power didn't get called out for his actions on this forum is Dario had been whining a lot this year, and lets be honest, his wife is irritating as hell when interviewed. So he isn't this forums favourite driver, and the championship was between Power and Dario, and naturally people chose Power. So when he was a little shit, running about crying, calling everybody a wanker, it got glossed over because of who he was against. Like it or not, we all know that's true.

How Power acted is no where near as bad as Kurt Busch, but it really wasn't acceptable. People just pretended it was because they wanted to like him. Meanwhile not many want to like Kurt and Kyle, so when they are pricks, nobody has a problem calling them out.

I can understand why Kurt Busch fans are upset or annoyed - he's out of a great ride and is going to end up in one of Waltrips cars, being mediocre. But he has nobody to blame but himself on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:51 pm 

ellis wrote:
kals wrote:
The *only* reason Power didn't get called out for his actions on this forum is Dario had been whining a lot this year, and lets be honest, his wife is irritating as hell when interviewed. So he isn't this forums favourite driver, and the championship was between Power and Dario, and naturally people chose Power. So when he was a little shit, running about crying, calling everybody a wanker, it got glossed over because of who he was against. Like it or not, we all know that's true.

I remember the last time I said that I was dragged outside to be shot by whole of TBK 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, I definitely feel bad for all of Kurt's fans. I have a few friends who are fans of his and are really bummed out and pissed off about it, while others are done cheering for him, unable to defend him any longer.

I think back to when Tony Stewart came on the scene. I was a fan of his in '99, and there were just a few off-beat comments that would tick me off. Sarcastic remarks that were uncalled for a quasi-rookie to be making, on track aggressiveness that was sometimes questionable... as time went on, I just grew to cheer against him because of that sort of thing. Over time, though, Tony said and did things that would either raise or lower my respect for him, and I'm now at a point where I can more or less not be upset when he wins. :)

As for Kurt, he started out more or less respectable, but over the years had this unique way of rubbing all the old-school fans the wrong way. Every little sarcastic or pissed-off quip towards his crew just made it that much less worth it to cheer for the guy. I know I felt horrible for his team every time they were told they were useless... I'd feel pretty shitty if someone came to work and told me I couldn't fix anything worth a crap.

There were the incidents with Jimmy Spencer, mouthing off at a police officer (as the son of a 30-year police vet, that one ticked me off nice and good), and finally being sarcastic and disrespectful towards the media.

I'm not sayin' Kurt Busch wouldn't be able to redeem himself like Tony has (in my eyes), but he's got a big hole to dig himself out of. For his fans' sake, I sure hope they have something to cheer about this season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:36 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Ellu wrote:
ellis wrote:
kals wrote:

I remember the last time I said that I was dragged outside to be shot by whole of TBK 8-)

Well, in interviews I think it's true. I'm a Dario fan, and I'm sure Ashley is a lovely woman and a nice person, but I don't like her interviews. I feel bad saying that, because it's like a dig at her, but it isn't. *shrug*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Slyder wrote:
Pfft, I can only imagine if Dale Earnhardt were alive today, or if Rusty Wallace were racing in this day and age, they'd both be fired too for God's sake. Pure corporate bullshit as well. Why would these people even CARE what the driver does or does not? He flipped somebody off? Boy, what driver hasn't? Should they be fired as well? All those sponsors should care about is for their car that they're sponsoring gets photographed with a big fucking trophy right to its side. For them to force drivers to become corporate muppets (and even bad ones at that, hence why Kurt hated such things) is rather pathetic.

I don't remember Dale or Rusty bitching out their owners and teams over the radio (in public) every week for seasons on end to where crewmen left to get away from them, either.

I'm sure the sponsors weren't pleased, but at the end of the day the decision rests with Roger Penske. Sponsorship wants and desires are one thing, team cancers are another.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Take a drink every time Kurt drops an F-bomb:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've never been a fan of Kurt's. I was in the garage with my dad in 2004 at Homestead (I was 14 then) and waited a good 45 min outside his hauler to get an autograph when he came out. He did eventually for an interview, I stood by and watched, then without even missing a beat he asked "were is the security around here" and to "get this fucking kid out of here". So I've had a bad taste in my mouth since then, I mean I even got Earnhardt Jr to sign something for me that day... Didn't realize Kurt was that amazing to were he didn't need to care about his fans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've always been fairly indifferent towards Kurt Busch but I think this might be a good thing for Kurt Busch. This could be a wakeup call for him, and to a lesser extent Kyle Busch to start getting their act together and start acting like grownups. If Kurt Busch becomes a better person on and off the track because of this, then he might have a chance of redeeming himself in the eyes of a lot of fans.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
From Tommy Baldwins Racing's facebook page
Look guys we can't race on our good looks we need funding to race. We are working on it everyday to build our program for next year. We have nothing to report. Sometimes it doesn't matter who I want to drive the car it's the Sponsors choice that fits their program the correct way. We understand what Dave did for us this year we doing all we can.

Why does this scream that they signed Kurt Busch......or there going full time with Geoff Bodine?

Tough break for Blaney if he's out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh, man... as much as I don't like Kurt (that comment zippy made earlier... whoa), it would be friggin' awesome to see TBR land him. It would be cool to see what they could do with him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tbh I just hate the direction of the sport. Remember, Kurt mouthed off after Richmond1 and then the team went on a streak. Again I'm not defending Kurts actions at Homestead but from what I read, it was shell Pennzoil that forced this. Corporate America wants polished people representing their "image". Kurt made a good point to the Associated Press, he said if he was racing cup in the 70's or 80's, he'd fall right in line with those guys. Hate Kurt if you want but I'm getting sick of all this polished crap. Hell, I liked Tony more when he was angry after getting wrecked or what not. Idk, I'm trying my best to not be biased here but its hard. As far as the fan debate, I'm here, for a 3rd year in a row, needing to buy new gear because of this. For years as a rusty fan I had my shit, now Im going from Kurt miller lite to Kurt Shell/Pennzoil to God knows what. Sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:27 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Mobil1fan wrote:
Slyder wrote:

I don't remember Dale or Rusty bitching out their owners and teams over the radio (in public) every week for seasons on end to where crewmen left to get away from them, either.

I'm sure the sponsors weren't pleased, but at the end of the day the decision rests with Roger Penske. Sponsorship wants and desires are one thing, team cancers are another.

Oh believe me, Dale and Rusty sometimes really pissed on their crew chiefs from time to time. Just ask Larry Mac and Roy McCauley (IIRC).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We have way more access now to radio. Rusty used to be the driver to listen to on the scanner due to his swearing and ranting. Of course this was well before the media coverage these days... I'm sure most people don't remember having to grab the Saturday paper just to see the qualifying results....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Andre wrote:
Yeah, I definitely feel bad for all of Kurt's fans. I have a few friends who are fans of his and are really bummed out and pissed off about it, while others are done cheering for him, unable to defend him any longer.

I think back to when Tony Stewart came on the scene. I was a fan of his in '99, and there were just a few off-beat comments that would tick me off. Sarcastic remarks that were uncalled for a quasi-rookie to be making, on track aggressiveness that was sometimes questionable... as time went on, I just grew to cheer against him because of that sort of thing. Over time, though, Tony said and did things that would either raise or lower my respect for him, and I'm now at a point where I can more or less not be upset when he wins. :)

As for Kurt, he started out more or less respectable, but over the years had this unique way of rubbing all the old-school fans the wrong way. Every little sarcastic or pissed-off quip towards his crew just made it that much less worth it to cheer for the guy. I know I felt horrible for his team every time they were told they were useless... I'd feel pretty shitty if someone came to work and told me I couldn't fix anything worth a crap.

There were the incidents with Jimmy Spencer, mouthing off at a police officer (as the son of a 30-year police vet, that one ticked me off nice and good), and finally being sarcastic and disrespectful towards the media.

I'm not sayin' Kurt Busch wouldn't be able to redeem himself like Tony has (in my eyes), but he's got a big hole to dig himself out of. For his fans' sake, I sure hope they have something to cheer about this season.

Tony actually nearly got fired according to him from Gibbs the year before he won his 2nd championship.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:34 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

BlueCelicaTRD wrote:
We have way more access now to radio. Rusty used to be the driver to listen to on the scanner due to his swearing and ranting. Of course this was well before the media coverage these days... I'm sure most people don't remember having to grab the Saturday paper just to see the qualifying results....

Yes, but see? Nobody went and cried to NASCAR that he was acting like a prick to his crew on the radio.

And that's what gets me in regards to this Kurt Busch thing. He might be a prick, and yes, he has his share of the blame, but this situation has been completely blown out of proportions, and it all seems to be that it was more sponsor involved rather than the team itself, and to be honest, I find that rather disgraceful and stupefying.

Nobody in their sane mind would all go batshit because the ESPN crew were careless and stupid with a driver whom was visibly pissed.

I mean, fuck! Compared to Kyle's which was DEFINITELY bad, this was a friggin non-issue.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Slyder wrote:
BlueCelicaTRD wrote:

Yes, but see? Nobody went and cried to NASCAR that he was acting like a prick to his crew on the radio.

And that's what gets me in regards to this Kurt Busch thing. He might be a prick, and yes, he has his share of the blame, but this situation has been completely blown out of proportions, and it all seems to be that it was more sponsor involved rather than the team itself, and to be honest, I find that rather disgraceful and stupefying.

Nobody in their sane mind would all go batshit because the ESPN crew were careless and stupid with a driver whom was visibly pissed.

I completely agree. I'm sure Earnhardt, Bodine, Wallace all bitched at the media too. Hell does no one remember how rude Dale was after Rudd and him tangled at Wilkesboro. And that was on camera. Imagine off camera? Now the media wants you to sit there for 5 mins so they can cut to you and have a good segment. If I recall Kurts words, he got mad when ESPN told him he may have cost tony the championship. Id be emotional too

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:09 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

It reads like Shell-Pennzoil pulled the plug on Kurt, but again at the end of the day it's still Roger's call.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:47 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I never knew the cancelled the Toyota Allstar Showdown at Irwindale. What a bummer

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21165 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1388 389 390 391 3921059 Next