TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 2846 Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Soul Reaver wrote:
Those cars from 2014 to 2016 can die in a fire that burns for the whole year.

Racing quality is all that matters, and those cars (though I'd say that "era" started in 2009 with the reduction in df and began properly in 2010 with the banning of refueling) were a hell of a lot more fun to watch than the 2017 rule change that added all that downforce and made the races more processional

They only really looked their worst in 2014, things had largely corrected themselves by 2015 though

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Soul Reaver wrote:

Racing quality is all that matters, and those cars (though I'd say that "era" started in 2009 with the reduction in df and began properly in 2010 with the banning of refueling) were a hell of a lot more fun to watch than the 2017 rule change that added all that downforce and made the races more processional

I couldn't disagree more, the 2014-16 were so boring and slow, the only fun thing was the battle for the championship sometimes, but behind it was all shit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2014 and 2015 were beyond awful, absolutely the worst since 2004. 2016 was still very bad, slightly better than 14 and 15 because Rosberg decided to no more mr nice guy. Still a terrible year. Not only was the championship dominated by one team, the fights behind them were also very boring. There is nothing positive to be said about 2014 to 16.

At no point has the recent Red Bull dominance come close to those 3 years. Especially not 2023, where indeed one driver won everything, but his teammate was not good enough to end up 2nd every time. Behind Verstappen, most racing was good. I saw many brilliant races last season, once you stopped focusing on Verstappen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
funny that I liked the years 2014-16 because of the team meltdown, the battle for the championship between team mates is the kind of stuff that makes F1 reach a nerve war we love to watch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:25 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I must've been the only one enjoying the higher ratio of wheel to wheel racing and out and out classics like Bahrain 14

There was definitely more overtaking back then, both between the mercedes for the title and everyone else for 3rd place, in places that were unexpected at the time too

But sure, the shit-tinted glasses make it all feel bad.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

Or your favorite driver was winning back then, and now not anymore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:51 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Omega wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Not really, because I included 2010-2013 in there where the racing was still better and Vettel was winning, and then there's 2016

I know this place thrives on negativity and actually being a fan of anything is just a recipe to get the tired old "well, you like x driver so you can't have an opinion" kinda comebacks, but as everyone in here, I'm a fan of the sport and good racing first, driver or team loyalty a distant second to that

The only difference between then and now, regardless of who is winning, is the Merc years would've been worse IF they didn't let Lewis and Nico race each other

They did, so a championship fight season is always going to be better than one that's dominated by a single driver

Also I'm not sure how 1988/89 get away with being one of the most classic seasons in F1 history (when the gap from the Mclarens to the rest was even bigger) and 2014-16 are shit?

Weird double standard there

Or is it just that the driver you don't like was winning... :roll:

Twitter:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:30 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Omega wrote:
2014 and 2015 were beyond awful

2014 had plenty of good races.

2015 was beyond awful, 2016 was shit too, but you're totally wrong about 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The races might have been good, but the overall product, with that shitty sound on total disparity for the first team, made it all a lot worse than the previous era, which was epic until the later half of 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Omega wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

I know this place thrives on negativity

Well you're not exaclty a saint yourself are you

codename_47 wrote:
and actually being a fan of anything is just a recipe to get the tired old "well, you like x driver so you can't have an opinion" kinda comebacks, but as everyone in here, I'm a fan of the sport and good racing first, driver or team loyalty a distant second to that

You might not realise yourself, but most opinions that you have are pro Mercedes or pro Hamilton. It's the other way round when Red Bull or Verstappen are involved. That's OK, everyone has their favorits. I'm not a Verstappen fan but I like his aggressive driving style a lot more than Lewis "everyone is against me" Hamilton or Sebastian "I didn't do it" Vettel. And it took some years but he is now not just breaking but simply crushing all the records that Hamilton had just beaten and it is great fun to see all the Hamilton fanboys (not meaning you in particular, talking in general over all social media) finding excuses now.
But it is only logic that fans of Hamilton will find the 2014-2016 seasons (well maybe not 2016) and all the years after, a lot more interesting than those who can't stand the guy.

codename_47 wrote:
The only difference between then and now, regardless of who is winning, is the Merc years would've been worse IF they didn't let Lewis and Nico race each other

They did, so a championship fight season is always going to be better than one that's dominated by a single driver

You have a point here. I disagree but that's just personal opinion. I remember that although the championship was close, the races were boring. Most of the time, there wasn't much of an ontrack battle between the two. One race Lewis was fastest, the next race it was Nico, but the real on track battles and aggression only started in 2016. I remember at the same time Marquez was dominating MotoGP, it was clear that he was taking the championship, but all the races were fun to watch. And it won over the "ooh, but at least the fight for the championship is tense" F1 races biiiig time.
In 2023, Verstappen won it all, but the racing behind him was good. It really was. It took some time, but most of the races of the second half of the season were really great. If ofcourse you could dry your tears for long enough to see what was happening behind Max.

Obviously this is my opinion and also seen through a certain type of glasses.

codename_47 wrote:
Also I'm not sure how 1988/89 get away with being one of the most classic seasons in F1 history (when the gap from the Mclarens to the rest was even bigger) and 2014-16 are shit?

Weird double standard there

don't know, I haven't seen these seasons live. Have you? I'm not comparing them with each other, so no double standards here.
codename_47 wrote:
Or is it just that the driver you don't like was winning... :roll:

yes, that was my point.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh, and I want to add: the fact that Mercedes let Hamilton and Rosberg fight, lead to them not making the same mistake again and hiring Bottas who was not allowed to fight. This could have given us years of Hamilton domination, but luckily enough another team stepped up and could occasionally beat Mercedes. Without that, the "at least Mercedes let them race, Red Bull isn't" argument would have been useless. It's not the fault of Red Bull that no other team can get close, we were just very lucky that in 2017 Ferrari could.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Soul Reaver wrote:

They only really looked their worst in 2014, things had largely corrected themselves by 2015 though

Welp, the 14-16 era was ok in my book. But I just loved the next one so much more. I like a challenge to overtake. And also Ferrari vs Mercedes was much, much better for me than Hamilton vs Rosberg.

Also, I remember very well at the start of 2017. How much you were upset. In a level of 1 - very reasonable arguments, up to 10 - Total Biased Fanboy Rage TM, You were a 25! Never saw anything like that before or ever since. You were really hurt, like a cheated girlfriend, full of grief and anger or God knows what.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The Times of London is reporting that Horner is being cleared of the allegations against him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chri ... -lcmlcllr3

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm still bitter about 2010-13 because no matter what they did mister fingermeister would end up winning, only stopped when Renault let them down

plus Mercedes domination should had started in 2013, the car was good enough to put up a fight, but ate tires like Montoya with burgers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
The Times of London is reporting that Horner is being cleared of the allegations against him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/chri ... -lcmlcllr3

Good for him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

so Horner really escaped. I wonder if he really haven't done anything or he did and used a get out of jail free card a la Ferrari in 2019

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
so Horner really escaped. I wonder if he really haven't done anything or he did and used a get out of jail free card a la Ferrari in 2019

Personally, I found it to be too quiet around him. You'd expect some leaks with more details etc and more people stepping forward or whatever but it was just the news about it, bit later the inquiry and then again a lot of nothing and now this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:12 pm 

I ask again, are most people of the opinion that he was/is guilty based on...?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:14 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

ZeroX wrote:

Opinion doesn't matter when independent barristers say he didn't do anything untoward.

But if we're going off opinions, it's clearly a hit job from someone within RB. It hasn't worked for now, but it's probably fatigued him and his family, so who knows what his future holds.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:18 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

peterohanrahanrahan wrote:
ZeroX wrote:

Opinion doesn't matter when independent barristers say he didn't do anything untoward.

But if we're going off opinions, it's clearly a hit job from someone within RB. It hasn't worked for now, but it's probably fatigued him and his family, so who knows what his future holds.

I found it interesting that Ford were demanding a resolution and preaching stuff like Ford has family values etc. etc. makes me wonder if they maybe would like a bigger slice of that Red Bull pie

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 911 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 2846 Next