TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 520 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:51 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:
Does that mean he relinquishes his 50% race card now that he’s using his 50% white privileged one?

So where do you work, again? :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh boy do you guys love a good joke until it’s one that makes you feel uncomfortable.

He’s changing his middle name, something that will never, ever be used, it’s hardly a massive gesture to his Mum, if he really wanted to do that he would double barrel his surname like a lot of people do, my sister included, but I guess a token gesture is good enough to get attention from the virtuous mob, I bet next he’ll be painting his helmet blue and yellow too, please let me know if we’re allowed to joke about that beforehand….

Call my boss if you want, but he’ll just say you need a sense of humour, it was him who said it to me originally, and he is blacker than Lewis, but I guess that’s ok right cos it’s a black man making the joke? Right? If he didn’t sack me for apparently bring a “climate denying conspiracy theorist”, he ain’t gonna sack me for repeating a joke he said first….

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:57 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ian-S wrote:
Oh boy do you guys love a good joke until it’s one that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Where in your post did you post a joke?

All I saw was an unnecessary, mean spirited jibe at someone paying tribute to someone he loves.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Humour means different things to different people, just because you took offence to it, doesn’t mean Lewis would.

What I said is not even close to being racist, now if I’d said he needed to start from the back of the grid in each race because of the colour of his skin, sure that is a 1000% racist, but I didn’t say that did I? Well that’s the way I see it, could be the Covid fogging my brain, or could be you lot are just over sensitive, I bet some of you even smirked at the comment at first, until your virtual signal programming kicked in.

I mean where are you going to draw the line? Are we not allowed to complain next time the rules are changed mid-race so he doesn’t get a penalty for corner cutting, is that off limits too because it’s a while person saying something negative about a black person?

Offence isn’t given, it’s taken.

Last edited by Ian-S on Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:15 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Some people urgently need to watch a Jimmy Carr show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not really, can’t stand the guy, especially after he vilified the unvaccinated for simply asking a question, same kind of virtual signalling I see here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wasn´t refering to you, but to people who feel they need to be offended by a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LOL now I get you, sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Not really, can’t stand the guy, especially after he vilified the unvaccinated for simply asking a question, same kind of virtual signalling I see here.

So you're saying that you're upset with him over a humorous comment that he made, that wasn't even about you?

:slaphead:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nope just think he’s a cock for saying what he said, I though we had freedom of choice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just think it's too long a name, especially when double-barrelled.
He needs a nickname, like JJ Lehto was for Jyrki Järvilehto, because no one would be able to pronounce it ;)

Finnish fans already have several nicknames for Hamilton:
"Hämis" (Translation of 'Spidey' nickname of Spiderman [Hämähäkkimies])
"Kinkku" (Literal translation for Ham = cured thigh of hog).
"Hämäläinen" (JJ accidentally called Hamilton "Hämäläinen" during the Malaysian GP in 2008).
"Elvis" (Anagram of Levis)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
JJ wrote:

with this one he lost a great marketing opportunity to put a V on his name so he could have a sponsor that forced every broadcaster to call him by the surname

anyway, could it be quite akward if he wins and they call "Levi's Hamilton wins the Bahrain GP!!!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JJ wrote:
I just think it's too long a name, especially when double-barrelled.
He needs a nickname, like JJ Lehto was for Jyrki Järvilehto, because no one would be able to pronounce it ;)

Finnish fans already have several nicknames for Hamilton:
"Hämis" (Translation of 'Spidey' nickname of Spiderman [Hämähäkkimies])
"Kinkku" (Literal translation for Ham = cured thigh of hog).
"Hämäläinen" (JJ accidentally called Hamilton "Hämäläinen" during the Malaysian GP in 2008).

It did occur to me last night that - assuming he wants to use the full name* all the time - it could create a headache for the TV graphics people. I don't remember anyone with such a long name in F1 recently.

/Edit The longest name I could find is Robin Montgomerie-Charrington, who did a single race in 1952.

* British double-barrelled surnames are usually used in full, unlike double first names like Juan Pablo. I know JPM dropped his second name at some point and I don't know if that's common.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Diniz also had a double name as he's called Pedro Paulo, but abroad they just called him Pedro Diniz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Diniz also had a double name as he's called Pedro Paulo, but abroad they just called him Pedro Diniz

That's why I wondered if he will use it in full. It makes sense in his context, otherwise why bother? But it's the difference between having to show "B. Bira" on timing or "Prince Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanubandh" :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Both Senna and Piquet only used their mothers name instead of the double or fathers name.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:

That's why I wondered if he will use it in full. It makes sense in his context, otherwise why bother? But it's the difference between having to show "B. Bira" on timing or "Prince Birabongse Bhanudej Bhanubandh" :lol:

Rising star in Indycar, Rinus van Kalmthout, uses the name Veekay, since nobody in the US would be able to pronounce his name correctly :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:
Both Senna and Piquet only used their mothers name instead of the double or fathers name.

the story behind's Piquet is one of the best. His father was a politician and didn't allowed him to race, so he used "Piket" to race and they only found out when he was already signing with sponsors to race in Europe

Is been a while since we don't see drivers who used pseudonyms to race like Fritz Glatz who raced with Pierre Chauvet or Frederico Careca or Louis Krages, aka John Winter. There was also Carlo Franchi who mixed the names of his sons and raced as Gimax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Same with Senna, Senna was his mother’s maiden name, when he first came to the UK I remember they called him either Ayrton Senna da Silva or just Ayrton da Silva, he changed it because da Silva is as common in Brazil as Smith is in the UK. He was supposed to go back and work in the family business after his first year of racing but someone offered him £10k to run in the FF2000 series, £10k was a serious amount of dosh in the 80’s, especially for driving a race car at essentially club racing level, it was then that he changed his name, rest is history as they say.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:50 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:

He’s changing his middle name, something that will never, ever be used, it’s hardly a massive gesture to his Mum, if he really wanted to do that he would double barrel his surname like a lot of people do, my sister included, but I guess a token gesture is good enough to get attention from the virtuous mob, I bet next he’ll be painting his helmet blue and yellow too, please let me know if we’re allowed to joke about that beforehand….

Call my boss if you want, but he’ll just say you need a sense of humour, it was him who said it to me originally, and he is blacker than Lewis, but I guess that’s ok right cos it’s a black man making the joke? Right? If he didn’t sack me for apparently bring a “climate denying conspiracy theorist”, he ain’t gonna sack me for repeating a joke he said first….

BTW the calling your boss thing was a joke too, but I guess only one side can do edgy humour eh :whistling:

Anyway, playing the "it's ok I have black friends" card isn't exactly the newest move in the playbook. Might even be move 1.

Nor is the Jimmy Carr thing, JC does his job well but his fanbase is the exact kind of person that thinks that edgy humour is the only kind of humour. As someone with a peripheral involvement with the world of comedy, it's so boring now to see him and his acolytes thinking they're pushing the boundaries of what's being said when in reality, it's the easiest form of comedy to do (stereotypes are pretty universal no matter who you're trying to offend, so just push those buttons and whoo-hoo, edgy) and just so boring now.
Great if you're a teenager, but there's so much funnier stuff in the world of comedy than someone saying "edgy" stuff then telling you you're a snowflake if you don't find it funny any more
"These days, if you say you're English, you're arrested and thrown in Jail" etc

Give me Vic and Bob any day.... :whistling:

The point is Lewis gets this kind of scrutiny, which basically boils down to white people saying "I'm not even racist, he's NOT EVEN BLACK, He's HALF WHITE OMG so racism doesn't apply to him!"
Yet Lewis gets Racism on all fronts. People that see him as black so are racist to him, people who see him as not black enough to accept that other people are racist to him, the black community thinking he's not black enough or representitive of their particular background, black people who think he's not doing enough for black issues, white people who think he's only there because of positive discrimination and box ticking (the amount of wilful subterfuge about the Mclaren Deal and his ladder series performances is awful tbh, he had to fight his way through and work 3x harder than anyone else in whatever series he was in, and people think he had it "easy" lol )

Dude wanted a month off to get over Abu Dhabi and people were literally writing articles about how his "silence was a weapon against the FIA". Fuck's sake, can't the guy go on holiday?
Max similarly didn't make any statements in that time, nothing was said there..... :slaphead:

Now he wants to change his name to reflect his mother, something that probably won't even come up on the graphics or even be that relevant to the race weekend, from what I've read, and suddenly it's an issue for some reason.
You'd think even the racists would be like "good....gooood......ignore the black half Lewis, come back to the white site of the force"
But no, even then, there's an issue with it because it's Lewis, obviously
As far as I know, he's kept his mum out of the spotlight because she's never been comfortable in it.
Now he wants to honour her, simple as that, and certainly not worth the first 2 pages of the racing thread, but here we are
Happy Mother's day Ms Larbalestier. :whistling:

Anyway, RACING soon....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 520 Next