TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:51 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Great race overall. Was expecting an absolute borefest but that was easily an 8/10. Was hoping Bubba was gonna get the win, but Cindric deserved it. Great to see a good start to the Next Gen cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:51 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Soul Reaver wrote:
Look at the top 4, it's a new era indeed.

it's just a plate race, 30 cars wrecked

wait till a real track next week

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
just remembered that Cindric uses the same helmet template as Greg Moore, that's some great taste right there

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:53 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Yeah I was anxious but thorougly enjoyed that race

If the outside line could actually get a run at the end it would've been about 9/10 but either way, an enjoyable 500

Speedweeks was kinda a wash but the final 2 races pulled it back out of the bag

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:54 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
Man, Stewart and the other guy have zero excitment for a close finish like that

Lets get some people in there that actually get HYPED for the closing laps of the Daytona 500 please!

NASCAR commentary has always confused me. The whole product is built around entertainment, but the commentary is like Dennis Taylor doing the snooker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I honestly figured Keselowski was going to win. Felt like he was determined the entire week. Just didn't get the help he needed on the final lap. Happy for Cindric, first time winner is always ok in my book.

Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Schumifan wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Lets get some people in there that actually get HYPED for the closing laps of the Daytona 500 please!

NASCAR commentary has always confused me. The whole product is built around entertainment, but the commentary is like Dennis Taylor doing the snooker

In the past it was Mike Joy bringing the enthusiasm and DW and Larry Mac bringing the whooping and cheering in the background which really made you hyped up

Now Mike is getting older he's not really pushing the excitement as much so all you're left with is Tony going "hmm, yeah close finish, mm hmmm" quietly as they rubbed each other multiple times on the way to the line

Oh well, race was done before midnight, I appreciate that too haha

Twitter:

Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mike Joy now seems to be into the 'Murray @ ITV' phase, which is sad.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I thought the racing with the Next-Gen car was pretty good overall. The Fords were very strong in the draft the entire week. Glad to hear that everybody was OK after that last wreck. I knew that Ragan and McDowell hit a ton.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:06 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

RtN wrote:
Mike Joy now seems to be into the 'Murray @ ITV' phase, which is sad.

Don't you dare blashpheme against the commentary god! :p
Even by then he'd still pull out legendary commentary like Mika spinning at Monza 99 and various others that proved he still had it at 70 more than most commentators at 20

I think the problem FOX has it like a lot of the media does with sporting events.
Finding the biggest name ex driver to bring in fans of his just because of their name, without checking if they'd actually be any good as a broadcaster
It's a whole different kettle of fish than just being a slightly cheeky guy in post-race interviews to boot

It seems like FOX just went, "Get Stewart....get the other guy, throw them in with little to no training and that'll do it"

Even in 2001, DW and Larry had done a good few races on ESPN or whatever in between their actual career for people to get a read on how good they'd be....doesn't seem to be something they think about now, just how much publicity they can bring to the broadcast

Twitter:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FOX sucks

They should put James Hinchcliffe in the booth.

With Alan Bestwick.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They need to stop trying to crack non-jokes and laughing like idiots every fucking minute.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The problem NASCAR commentary has now is they've been told to explode when one car looks like it might attempt a pass, so relative to that the excitement shown for the finish can only feel underwhelming. Watch peak-era Bob Jenkins for a demonstration in building excitement to the end of the race.

And Mike Joy is probably in the twilight of his career, a younger commentary might bring a bit more energy. It's gotta be the play-by-play guy's job to provide the energy though, this trend of brainwashing former drivers and crewchiefs to call the race like kids on cocaine instead of providing calm knowledge and experience is another reason the actual excitement doesn't hit home. I actually liked Tony Stewart talking like Tony Stewart instead of a chipmunk. Wish he'd stick around for more races.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

We need Clint to stop doing his best, or worst, DW impression as commentator. That'd be a good start. Unfortunately Joy is turning into a bit like Paul Page during his time with Bobby and Sam Posey... The passion is there but the mistakes are mounting and obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:24 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This is fucking concerning

-

makes me wonder if Ricky had his shoulder belts fully over the top of his Hybrid device or not - (regardless if it's a HANS or Hybrid - it won't work properly if the shoulder belts were even halfway over / off the carbon surface.)

also for those wondering why some racers choose a Hybrid over a HANS - from what I remember watching a few Twitch streams that drivers had (during rona's first outbreak); basically for comfort reasons & that some were complaining of neck/back pain after long-term use of a HANS with how it's molded. The higher back (behind the drivers head) of a HANS can be a safety risk too if things go wrong (see: Cole Bodine at Kokomo last year)

(personal opinion: don't think either or are any less effective than another; but I digress)

(edit 1*: same style as HANS where the belts have to go over carbon surface area)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:

Mike Joy really irritates me with his tiresome "look at me, I know my racing history" shtick, constant bringing up tired old facts and going into storytelling mode till one of his co-commentators change the subject. Even as the cars were coming to the checkered flag, he blurts out some stupid factoid about Cindric's grandfather (whoever that is) being an Indy 500 winning car-owner instead of WHAT'S HAPPENING ON TRACK. Very annoying man.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:13 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

racer612008 wrote:
This is fucking concerning

-

makes me wonder if Ricky had his shoulder belts fully over the top of his Hybrid device or not - (regardless if it's a HANS or Hybrid - it won't work properly if the shoulder belts were even halfway over / off the carbon surface.)

also for those wondering why some racers choose a Hybrid over a HANS - from what I remember watching a few Twitch streams that drivers had (during rona's first outbreak); basically for comfort reasons & that some were complaining of neck/back pain after long-term use of a HANS with how it's molded. The higher back (behind the drivers head) of a HANS can be a safety risk too if things go wrong (see: Cole Bodine at Kokomo last year)

(personal opinion: don't think either or are any less effective than another; but I digress)

(edit 1*: same style as HANS where the belts have to go over carbon surface area)

Honestly, if a driver wants to risk his OWN life by compromising on the safety gear, then who cares. Dale Earnhardt allegedly used to loosen his belts near the end of the race, and of course, wore the open-face helmet, so when his face went through the steering wheel, he did it to himself. You owe it to yourself to use the best safety solution available.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Never seen so many wheels pointing in different directions after wrecks. I know they have independent rear suspension now but even the front wheels seem to break and point sideways too easily now...

Never seen wheels broken and pointed the wrong way so much.

Really curious to see whether this new car really does what it's supposed to do at the aero-nightmare cookie-cutter ovals starting next week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:04 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

That^ and getting stuck with flat tires.
Btw i ve never seen so manny hoodflaps flapping around or getting loose while drafting.
Looks pretty annoying when that hoodflap goes wild in your view.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sergio wrote:
That^ and getting stuck with flat tires.

Yea, flat bottom + low profile tires is pretty bad for offroad driving. Well, at least, it's yet another reason to throw a caution and bunch everybody up so NASCAR should be happy.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 555 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next