TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 3234 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:58 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gaara wrote:
It was under what was essentially a race start conditions, not under SC conditions. It was technically actually a formation lap so he could have taken his spot back but because he didn't take it back by the SC line he was required to pit and start from there. I guess Alfa goofed because they restarted behind the SC instead of a standing start like we'd thought it was going to be. Mindful of what had befallen Perez.

This is from the official sporting regulations 42.6

Overtaking behind the safety car is only permitted in the following cases:

a)Any driver who is delayed when leaving his position in the fast lane or during the lap(s) behindthe safety car may overtake to re-establish his original starting position provided he does so before he crosses the first safety car line on the lap the safety car returns to the pits. Should he fail to do so he must re-enter the pit lane and may only re-join the race once the whole field has passed the end of the pit lane after the race has been resumed. A penalty under Article 38.3(d) will be imposed on any driver who fails to re-enter the pit lane if he has not re-established the original starting order before he reaches the first safety car line on the lap the safety car returns to the pits.

b)Drivers may leave the fast lane in order to overtake any car delayed when leaving its position in the fast lane.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:40 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
This thread has been hilarious reading. People defending crap drivers, attacking really good ones. People need to start seeing past their national pride, I'm seeing that with Ricciardo, he's starting to look very mediocre in that McLaren.

Are we just going to ignore Bottas was lapped before the half way mark today? Took way too long to get past the slow Gasly. He is wasting that seat. We can discuss whether or not Russell merits the seat all day but at this stage, half the grid could do better in that seat.

Not only is he going to cost Mercedes the constructors title, he's on track to help Lewis lose the drivers title

Mercedes should show some spine and do what RB did in 2016 and swap him for someone else.

Agree with you on Ricciardo. I for one didn't buy the hype that it was Norris that was going to get shown up. Ricciardo was in the same situation at Renault. 2019 he was pretty average, 2020 he was great. The difference this time, unlike 2019 is that Norris is a better driver than Hulk, and he can't afford to "get comfortable" in the car.

Two races in a row where he has been trounced by his team mate by over 20 seconds each time just isn't good enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:09 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Bottas' race was doomed from Q3 onwards. Last year there was six overtakes on track. Now with Gastly gambling with full wets, which was paying off at first when track was wet, he was stuck behind him once Gastly's tires started to wear out. And at the same time the fast lane started to form, making the overtaking even more difficult.

Once Gastly's tires were done, his times dropped over 10s per lap compared to Verstappen and it was easy for everyone overtake him.

Mercedes quite likely knew that Valtteri can leap forward with slicks and DRS, so they probably saved their efforts to the last half of the race. Which would make sense when there were so many incidents happening when conditions were wet.

F1 is IF backwards. Had Russell not made a Renault Clio Cup move on Bottas, we might have seen Bottas finishing somewhere between 3rd and 5th while Hamilton would have been somewhere around 7th or 8th and a lap down. Or had he kept it on the track, he might have been 1st or 2nd.

Stop acting like you know things when you are just guessing from limited data available. Bottas is not going to lose his seat no matter how much you want and moan about it. He ain't gonna keep it if he's not 2nd or 3rd in championship either, but there's over ten races to prove which way is it going to be.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Bottas' race was doomed from Q3 onwards. Last year there was six overtakes on track. Now with Gastly gambling with full wets, which was paying off at first when track was wet, he was stuck behind him once Gastly's tires started to wear out. And at the same time the fast lane started to form, making the overtaking even more difficult.

Once Gastly's tires were done, his times dropped over 10s per lap compared to Verstappen and it was easy for everyone overtake him.

Mercedes quite likely knew that Valtteri can leap forward with slicks and DRS, so they probably saved their efforts to the last half of the race. Which would make sense when there were so many incidents happening when conditions were wet.

F1 is IF backwards. Had Russell not made a Renault Clio Cup move on Bottas, we might have seen Bottas finishing somewhere between 3rd and 5th while Hamilton would have been somewhere around 7th or 8th and a lap down. Or had he kept it on the track, he might have been 1st or 2nd.

Stop acting like you know things when you are just guessing from limited data available. Bottas is not going to lose his seat no matter how much you want and moan about it. He ain't gonna keep it if he's not 2nd or 3rd in championship either, but there's over ten races to prove which way is it going to be.

This is quite possibly the worst example of fanboy defense in the history of a forum with plenty of examples of bad fanboy defense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:34 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Soooo much to take in with that race! Just finished it and gotta say it was pretty damn good. The comments Toto made about the bottas/russell incident don't make sense to me at all. Toto talks about george having a lot to learn and so on buuuuuut if he wants to bring up someone being experienced/level headed, then why not mention YOUR OWN DRIVER not calming the fuck down for one straight and realizing that he's in the fastest car and letting the slowest (maybe 2nd slowest this year) car just go by him, can be made up a lap later? Has bottas' desperation for each and every position gotten so bad that he can't even stop and think a lap ahead of time anymore? On the last lap of the race, then maybe fight like that, but at the halfway point? WTF? Does he really have such little faith in his car, team and driving ability that, just half way into the race, he wouldn't be able to get back past a Williams?? I'm not taking sides or placing blame, just confused with toto's lack of looking at it from all perspectives.

Anyway, on a lighter note about the crash. I had paused it at this moment to look at the damage of the cars and the bits of it we don't normally get to see. Then I noticed the photographer in the upper left and got a bit of a laugh out of it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I was just thinking. Had the Bottas-Russell accident happened on any modern track we'd just have two cars with slight contact damage spinning into the far distance. Maybe a vSC so they can recover the cars and back to racing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Regarding Bottas, bad days can always happen, but his attitude and comments after the crash are more worrying. A smart experienced driver would not put themselves in that situation, getting into petty fights (on track) and petty arguments (off track) with a driver half his age and with 5 times less F1 experience.

Guy coming in hot on you? They won't back off and stay behind. Nobody ever does that with that sort of speed differential, you're delusional if you think this, and that's what Bottas said he assumed (because of the single dry line). If they have that much of a run, they willpull alongside and they will expect you to stay left to defend like everybody else has been doing. Be the bigger man, stay clearly left, and let them pull out and try their luck on the outside lane in the corner. Or if he wanted the dry line for braking, go clearly right before the kink and let them have the inside and hope they botch it at braking. Anything but the half-assed positioning he made. Save your car to race another day, because once you're in gravel you look like an idiot just as much as the other guy.

Don't let Toto's public words fool you. I'm sure a smart guy like him will have very different words to Bottas in private because you expect a lot more intelligence from a driver at that level and with that experience - disregarding the fact he shouldn't be there holding off a Williams in the first place.

Last edited by Coldtyre on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I most definitely prefer smashed to bits cars (you know, assuming everyone is OK).

Was I the only one who thought the TV directing was almost early 90's like? I mean they hardly showed any of the real action taking place that you could clearly see happening on the timing tower on the screen (multiple passes and repasses on the same lap), and then almost missed entirely the huge smash (and what they did catch was just the ending).

I'll......blame Michael Massi for it........why not?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:45 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Coldtyre wrote:
Regarding Bottas, bad days can always happen, but his attitude and comments after the crash are more worrying. A smart experienced driver would not put themselves in that situation, getting into petty fights (on track) and petty arguments (off track) with a driver half his age and with 5 times less F1 experience.

Guy coming in hot on you? They won't back off and stay behind. Nobody ever does that with that sort of speed differential, you're delusional if you think this, and that's what Bottas said he assumed (because of the single dry line). If they have that much of a run, they willpull alongside and they will expect you to stay left to defend like everybody else has been doing. Be the bigger man, stay clearly left, and let them pull out and try their luck on the outside lane in the corner. Or if he wanted the dry line for braking, go clearly right before the kink and let them have the inside and hope they botch it at braking. Anything but the half-assed positioning he made. Save your car to race another day, because once you're in gravel you look like an idiot just as much as the other guy.

Don't let Toto's public words fool you. I'm sure a smart guy like him will have very different words to Bottas in private because you expect a lot more intelligence from a driver at that level and with that experience - disregarding the fact he shouldn't be there holding off a Williams in the first place.

Even more true with that clip of toto waving away bottas when they spoke after the last race as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some people in here seem to think that Bottas being stupidly slow also means he automatically is to blame for the incident with Russell :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:06 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Anyone else just pleased that this thread is 30 pages long and we have something to argue about? If these last two races are anything to go by this could be such a good season :flag:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Schumifan wrote:
Anyone else just pleased that this thread is 30 pages long and we have something to argue about? If these last two races are anything to go by this could be such a good season :flag:

Totally. I think I wouldnt even be mad if Lewis takes his 8th title as long as its a season long battle between him and Verstappen without too much controversy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:16 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Shaddix wrote:
Some people in here seem to think that Bottas being stupidly slow also means he automatically is to blame for the incident with Russell :roll:

Yea, I don't get that either. Fast or slow, anyone can make a stupid move. We're all human and make mistakes at work, some people just happen to have their job broadcast world wide.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shaddix wrote:

He can be both without any causal link between the two. You're going to have to quote someone on that mate, because I don't see any of it on the posts. The incident and the fact he's slow were both used as arguments that Bottas has been shit, it's hard to argue against that. His responsibility in the incident was discussed using car positioning and particularly from Kimi's onboard behind them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

amq55 wrote:
Coldtyre wrote:
Does the safety car complete 63 laps or is this just some sort of setup run for TV crews?

The SC and the medical car do a bunch of laps to test out the cameras and such on Thursdays. It's also when they make the track limits segments for TV. F1TV usually broadcasts it but it's not considered a session per se.

in case, someone has posted the full session here https://www.reddit.com/r/MotorsportsReplays/comments/mrf3qu/imola_2021_high_speed_test/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:57 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Thinking back on the race, one thing stopped it from being an out and out classic and just turned it into a merely great race

Imagine if Max had fully spun on the run to the restart after the SC

Then we'd probably have had Max and Lewis fighting each other while fighting for the field, and if they'd delayed each other slightly then it could've been Lando holding off the Ferraris and on the last couple of laps, Max and Lewis for his first win

That would've put the icing on the cake of an all time classic grand prix

We got close, 8/10 I'd say (dry part wasn't as good as wet part but if we'd just been served up that part of the race on its own, it'd still be better than what we'd expect from an imola race) but that would've made it the full 10

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Watched the Channel 4 highlights of this race for the first time this season, and I've gotta say I really like Alex Jacques in the comm box. I know he's been around for a while and has decent pedigree, but I wasn't sure that anyone would be able to replace the great Ben Edwards. Judging by this race he's a great replacement.

Sky have got the wrong man, he's way better than Crofty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
I was just thinking. Had the Bottas-Russell accident happened on any modern track we'd just have two cars with slight contact damage spinning into the far distance. Maybe a vSC so they can recover the cars and back to racing.

I think the cars themselves probably wouldn't have made it to a wall with so much energy, but they did spit a huge amount of debris over the track just from the initial collision. Probably a full SC, but perhaps still a red depending on how much of the track was covered.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

gkmotorsport wrote:
micha wrote:

I think the cars themselves probably wouldn't have made it to a wall with so much energy, but they did spit a huge amount of debris over the track just from the initial collision. Probably a full SC, but perhaps still a red depending on how much of the track was covered.

Dont know. It happened on the straight. They didn't reach the turn yet. There's not too much runoff along the straits on modern tracks either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:18 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Philthy82 wrote:
This is quite possibly the worst example of fanboy defense in the history of a forum with plenty of examples of bad fanboy defense.

Pretty bold for you woke-aussie bois to think I'm a fan of Bottas because of his nationality. :lol:

And another delusional claim is to say I'm in minority for thinking the crash was not Valtteri's fault when everyone with two working eyes and braincells are saying the same, including George himself now that he's seen the replays.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/19/russell-admits-bottas-was-probably-not-at-fault-for-crash/

Maybe some of you need to go to the Specsavers if you are seeing Bottas pushing Russell off the track when he clearly bis trying to avoid contact once he notices George attacking.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous 128 29 30 31 3234 Next