TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1225 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:48 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Whatever keeps him off social media and in the commentary box has got to be a good thing :mrgreen:

The Valve stem thing felt like he'd just learnt that's what that part of the tyre was called that morning and was excited to show off his new phrase to millions of viewers :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Robert Wickens is getting back into a race car of some sort, appears to be a sports car as IMSA is involved
https://racer.com/2021/05/03/wickens-ex ... this-week/

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:32 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

https://racer.com/2021/05/04/penske-por ... h-program/
Porsche and Penske are teaming up for a LMDh program. Soooo does this mean Simon gets a 1 year contract for 2022 and then gets put into the sportscar team like with Castroneves and Montoya?

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 6:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

sennadesillva wrote:
https://racer.com/2021/05/04/penske-porsche-to-reunite-for-lmdh-program/
Porsche and Penske are teaming up for a LMDh program. Soooo does this mean Simon gets a 1 year contract for 2022 and then gets put into the sportscar team like with Castroneves and Montoya?

I think Porsche will have a big say into deciding the driver line up.

Wasn't the leading car raced by Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas and Sascha Maassen? I think all 3 were Porsche factory drivers.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So, everything's pointing out to a switch to CBS for 2022 onwards, after NBC dropped the sports network and probably lost IndyCar altogether.

I've read that the CBS Sports channel reaches even less households than NBCSN. I surely hope they put the races in the network channel and not some obscure cable channel no one cares about.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:45 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Hmmmm, not good news with the progress Indycar had been making. We don't want to go back to the dark days of it being on some obscure pay channel

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:57 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Gabriel wrote:
So, everything's pointing out to a switch to CBS for 2022 onwards, after NBC dropped the sports network and probably lost IndyCar altogether.

I've read that the CBS Sports channel reaches even less households than NBCSN. I surely hope they put the races in the network channel and not some obscure cable channel no one cares about.
I was worried about that myself. The issue as usual will be the NFL at the end of the season, but also potentially golf, which is a major sport on CBS. Can't think of anything else on spring and summer Sundays that would pose a programming issue.

Even worse would be getting stuck on the Paramount streaming service.

Still, I can see CBS excited to have IndyCar vs NBC Sports that went into the toilet and fast.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:49 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

CBS did jump at the new SRX series, so maybe they have developed a taste for motorsport in general.

There is also speculation that if CBS were to pick up the rights, some races could be subcontracted out to one of the Turner stations, which would avoid the CBSSN problem.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I reckon the problem that both IndyCar & NASCAR face is that there will be more push by legacy media to shove more exclusive content (races) into their subscription based streaming services, while both series have a large viewership base that still prefers viewing on legacy mediums (network & cable TV) - which also restricts them from gambling with the newer streaming players (Google, Amazon, social media giants, smaller groups like Flo etc.). Even if it spiked viewership numbers - financially I don't think IndyCar (or) NASCAR could gamble with attempting ad-free coverage either via air time & ad block purchases like what F1 has done with ESPN, especially as they would also be producing & funding the entire broadcast themselves (both already do major chunks w/ their own companies but both NBC & FOX still have a major role in both productions + costs).

FiatFan83 wrote:
The issue as usual will be the NFL at the end of the season, but also potentially golf, which is a major sport on CBS. Can't think of anything else on spring and summer Sundays that would pose a programming issue.

March Madness and Masters / other golf events would be big road blocks for either IndyCar or NASCAR if they went with CBS in March & April. Summer time is open (hence SRX), fall - more Saturday slots open now with SEC football moving to ABC/ESPN, but NFL is still the big road block.

w/ ESPN & Turner getting the NHL rights, I do see FOX being more forceful in keeping NASCAR (or) NHRA rights

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Penske got back into a race car
https://racer.com/2021/05/12/penske-get ... rs-spyder/

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Toronto cancelled

https://www.indycar.com/News/2021/05/05 ... te-Toronto

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:40 pm 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

I hope they find an oval to replace it with

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Or a Cleveland

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

rumored candidates to fill the date include either doubleheaders at Mid-Ohio or Gateway. Portland wouldn't be shocking either

I suspect TV will play a factor in this.

-

personally hoping for Iowa, but guessing TV will not allow it & that a promoter would be needed (Spire is promoting both the Knoxville Truck race and the Iowa ARCA race in July, but a simple fill-in for the ARCA weekend wouldn't be possible due to NBC's Olympics coverage I reckon)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Eddie Gossage is retiring as the promoter/administrator of Texas Motor Speedway.

Could end up being another milestone in the decline of oval racing, at least for Indycar. Gossage was very keen to have and keep Indycar at his speedway, and if his successor has different ideas...

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tbh, fuck Texas.

There are several other ovals than can provide much better racing than that. Let NASCAR play there, and put IndyCar in Michigan, Chicagoland, Kentucky, Homestead or Fontana before it gets neutered.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
why not going to a street circuit? If that isn't worse than racing at Cota

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I understand the need for new markets, but Indycar's domestic fan base has always been in the mid-west with a sprinkling elsewhere. Street courses are a little different as they draw damn near anywhere, so that's an outlier of sorts.

With that said, if you're going to add an oval, Michigan, Kentucky or Chicago are the answers as Gabriel said. I would prefer Michigan personally. Mind you there was nothing and is nothing wrong with Pocono and I'd go back in a heartbeat. The drivers need to remember 500 milers are only lost on lap 1, not won.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:27 am 

westracing01 wrote:
I understand the need for new markets, but Indycar's domestic fan base has always been in the mid-west with a sprinkling elsewhere. Street courses are a little different as they draw damn near anywhere, so that's an outlier of sorts.

This week's Miller's Mailbag interestingly enough brought up a "street course oval" idea, which was tried in Caesar's Palace in 1983 and 1984. The F1 track / race it replaced was dinky but the '83 CART race is on Youtube, and the course is not too bad at first glance (a bit weird, yes, but still). So maybe that would be something you could try outside the mid-west for all I know, to give the oval folks something that might actually draw, assuming a good location for a decent oval/roval type layout (four streets with 90 degree turns would also be as dinky as that Mickey Mouse F1 layout).

Ovals in general have just declined since the split days. Hell, they are even declining in NASCAR these days. Perhaps some of the ovals that have less or no NASCAR would be interested, but I think it's telling that Nashville's new Indycar date is a street race instead of Nashville Superspeedway..

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:29 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They tried Nashville SuperSpeedway before with less than stellar results.

I agree to an extent with the road racing is just becoming more popular. Hell, I go to dirt oval races and work on dirt cars ALL the time... Yet in iRacing I'm and exclusive road racer.

I do love the Indycars on big, fast ovals though.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 1225 Next