TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2015 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10101 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Schumifan wrote:
I liked the 10 past the hour starts. It was easy to remember to stop whatever I'm doing on the hour, make a cup of tea and still have plenty of time to sit down before the start of the race. I know I'm perfectly capable of stopping whatever I'm doing at 50 minutes past the hour but my brain doesn't like that
THIS! So much this! Maybe I'm being silly too, but it was easier for me too.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:10 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

That also applies to university lectures - some places start at x10 and others at x00 and the x10's are better

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:25 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I mostly can't watch the races live but usually watch them right after the race but if I get the chance for a live coverage, I have to admit I'm still not used to the 10 past and get confused why the pit lane didn't open at half past so I'm excited the full hour again :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:54 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

FiatFan83 wrote:
Schumifan wrote:
I liked the 10 past the hour starts. It was easy to remember to stop whatever I'm doing on the hour, make a cup of tea and still have plenty of time to sit down before the start of the race. I know I'm perfectly capable of stopping whatever I'm doing at 50 minutes past the hour but my brain doesn't like that
THIS! So much this! Maybe I'm being silly too, but it was easier for me too.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Same, as a CET person, the sticking point was the race starting at 15-ish, not 14-ish. I want it 14-ish.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:14 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Pretty big changes to Albert Park coming.

https://autoaction.com.au/2021/01/31/bi ... park-track

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:19 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Taking away the turn 8-9 chicane makes me think of f1 97 again and how I used to cheat by taking the access road behind the chicane flat out

Maybe the organisers have the same idea

Either way, removing a chicane from a race track and increasing speeds is always a good thing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Pretty sure I've floored it down that access road at some point in every racing game I've ever owned :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The turn 9 - 10 chicane is one of the weaker corners on the circuit. I'm not sure if taking it out completely will promote more overtaking, because turns 11/12 are too fast and narrow to make much of a move. They could tighten up turn 11, but that would be a shame because it's a nice fast chicane.

The idea of a flat out section from the exit of turn 6 all the way to turn 11 sounds incredible. It's so fast and narrow. Maybe too dangerous by modern standards, or maybe not too different from some of the fast kinks at Baku or Valencia which had walls either side? They mention a DRS zone here. Does F1 currently have any DRS zones on sections that are curved all the way?

I'm unsure about their plans to widen some of the corners; particularly turn 1. I've always liked the first chicane and the run down to turn 3. I don't think it requires much change there. Some of the minor banking on the corners towards the end of the lap is a good idea. I've always thought that having progressive banking on a road course corner might help to create a few different lines, and enable the car behind to get out of the dirty air for a bit. It probably won't be enough banking to make that happen, but may help the racing just a little bit.

Last edited by De Cesaris fan on Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
they must make it more challenging to take and if you fail you get punished

of course that's more on the cars than on the track itself

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm not sure they could remove turns 8-9 without increasing the side of the run-off at 10 - Häkkinen had no problem finding the wall there already. The more sensible solution would be to push 8 back a little and tighten it a lot*, making it a passing spot. If 10 was also tightened** you would get two where previously there were none.

* Yes, this would ruin those corners
** I get the impression this would be ruined, but I had this corner in every sim I ever played so I won't lose sleep over it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gasly's now tested positive for Covid-19.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 2F7YH.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:16 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

gkmotorsport wrote:
I'm not sure they could remove turns 8-9 without increasing the side of the run-off at 10 - Häkkinen had no problem finding the wall there already. The more sensible solution would be to push 8 back a little and tighten it a lot*, making it a passing spot. If 10 was also tightened** you would get two where previously there were none.

* Yes, this would ruin those corners
** I get the impression this would be ruined, but I had this corner in every sim I ever played so I won't lose sleep over it.

I think you're thinking of the wrong chicane, not the semi flat out one just before the 2nd overtaking area, more the hard right and then a little left kink, more where a Williams hit the wall in 2014 I think and left it's tyre on the track causing a SC. Also where Anthony Davidson tried to fly his Super Aguri in 2008 I think

Which means the chicane you're thinking of will be even more of a corner, maybe if they tighten that a tad and you'd get a bit of passing there and repassing at the traditional end of the backstraight

It's not a gauruntee because it'll always he hard to overtake at that track no matter what, but hey, at least they're trying eh?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:45 am 

amq55 wrote:
Pretty big changes to Albert Park coming.

https://autoaction.com.au/2021/01/31/bi ... park-track

Promoting F1 as a sustainable and environmentally friendly sport. Changing asphalt mixture to generate more tyre wear and higher tyre usage.

Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:50 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

It's gonna take literally one session for drivers to start complaining about too big tyre wear that affects safety. I mean Pirelli was asked by FIA to provide the degrading tires and became whipping boys for the drivers anyway. Who's gonna buy the same excuse "bigger tyre wear helps the action" again? Hamilton is notorious for complaining about the tires, this will be nagging on steroids now.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. All it takes is one blown tire that sends a car into the wall - highly probable on a street circuit - and we're gonna hear all the old excuses again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:

On this map it's called Clark/Fittipaldi, but I know it as turns 9-10.

Only thing I see wrong with it is that it's removing a very popular, very busy, hugely expansive viewing area, that is mostly general access (don't need to buy a grandstand seat). It's probably the most popular spot on the circuit, outside of turns 1-2.

The next corner doesn't have a decent hill above it to view the track, they'd have to build something.

@
codename_47
based on this helpful map (thank you @Scotty!), I was talking about the Waite corners and the run down to Ascari - I wasn't taking the Hill kink into account at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Vassago wrote:
It's gonna take literally one session for drivers to start complaining about too big tyre wear that affects safety.

from the same kneejerkers that cannot live without their beloved tyre warmers because it wouldn't be safe enough, while other racing series cope well with cold tires

perhaps they should think about the safety of the moves some drivers perform during some races, and yet blaming the others

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:05 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Grab your popcorn everyone, sit back and relax!! Cause the Rich Energy and William Storey shit show will be back in F1 for "the greatest comeback since Lazarus" :slaphead:
https://beyondtheflag.com/2021/02/01/fo ... ouncement/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:01 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

sennadesillva wrote:
Grab your popcorn everyone, sit back and relax!! Cause the Rich Energy and William Storey shit show will be back in F1 for "the greatest comeback since Lazarus" :slaphead:

What team is stupid or desperate enough to deal with them? There has to be pre-payments for sure, right?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:13 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I read about Albert Park earlier and just thought, cars and drivers need to adjust tracks, not tracks to cars and drivers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVirkkula wrote:
sennadesillva wrote:

What team is stupid or desperate enough to deal with them? There has to be pre-payments for sure, right?

Didn't they claim a new deal with a team before?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2015 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10101 Next