TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 166 67 68 69 7081 Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Vassago wrote:
Liberty is appeasing the social justice BS like getting rid of the grid girls. Btw, what happened with those kids that were supposed to replace grid girls? I haven't seen them whatsoever (while Dorna keeps flashing these Monster umbrella girls left, right & center in MotoGP despite them calling out F1 over their own girls).

Liberty doesn't have an inch of the guts Bernie had so they will NEVER enforce anything on those teams. The teams know it and they will play hardball with these schmucks all over the place.

i'd say there's 2 main reasons grid girls needed to go

1 - in a sense it says that a woman's place at the race track isn't in the cars, but holding the umbrellas and looking good for the cameras. i shouldn't have to say this, but that thinking is sexist as fuck

2 - ultimately it objectifies women and women's bodies

bonus reason: most of modern society had already figured this out and liberty was smart enough - or should i say, had the "guts" to do something about it

autosport just posted a great vid on bernie's role in the current structural mess liberty has to deal with

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:35 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

When I went to the Indy 500, I was walking around gasoline alley right after the race and even saw Rossi's winning car wheeled past me and almost getting hit by Bobby Rahal in a gold cart :lol:

In F1, getting access to the same areas is almost impossible and highly regulated and secured. You have to know someone who knows someone to get a paddock pass. Even the pit walk is hard.

F1 needs better fan access.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When you want more girls interested in motorsport having them most visible just stood holding a sign and looking pretty is not a good look. Same with the clapping the drivers up to the podium. Actually I'd say that was worse.

They have the kids stood with the drivers during the anthem.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

James B wrote:
This is a real shame: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/reve ... 0/4559859/

"It is understood some front-running teams were against the plan because they believed that it would be too difficult for them to make up enough ground if they started at the back" - fuck 'em, seriously. As if they haven't had a hand in creating a formula where it's hard to overtake

That was the most horrendously horse shit proposal any way so doesn't count.

This line in the article makes me sad, and well pissed off to the max

Quote:
Last month, F1 managing director of motorsport Ross Brawn was clear that the sport needed to be open to experiments if it was to move with the times and maintain its popularity against growing competition in the entertainment sphere.

No. The fucking sport doesn't need to be open to experiments. It needs clearly thought out and defined rules that the teams either sign on for or don't. The last experimentation we had was the truly farcical qualifying effort a few years back that just made F1 to be an absolute joke. If I want boring gimiky crap I would be a NASCAR fan. It makes me so mad that the sport that I truly love is becoming so farcical and uninspiring.

That line by Brawn is the kind of junk line that a CEO utters about their company and then promptly goes into administration and bails out the "stakeholders". Maybe that is what is happening.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the experimentation lead to the worst qualifying format that is going on for the past 13 years and yet they don't realize it sucks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:02 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Experiments don't have to be gimmicky tbf. I'm not averse to F1 trying new things. I liked the idea of experimenting with reverse grid quali races even if I also think it wouldn't be as fun as people think

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

there should be room for experiments but not on points awarding races. they should take away some of the races and promote non points awarding, maybe with young drivers at another venues that don't hold races

but that is impossible with a 22 race calendar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:36 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

If they want to experiment, do it Formula E style and have a practice "Race" at the end of the last day of Winter Testing.... :innocent:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

in the 70's they tried those things on non championship races, like racing in the snow

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-rena ... SKBN1WX0O6

Hmm...where could Renault make some really big savings very quickly...?

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:20 pm 

Daniel Ricciardo's salary?

I mean they clearly don't spend that much else in F1 these days

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Gaara wrote:
When you want more girls interested in motorsport having them most visible just stood holding a sign and looking pretty is not a good look. Same with the clapping the drivers up to the podium. Actually I'd say that was worse.

They have the kids stood with the drivers during the anthem.

At this years' Singapore race they still had the clapping girls at the end of the race.

:wave:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:34 am 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

trout wrote:
Vassago wrote:
Liberty is appeasing the social justice BS like getting rid of the grid girls. Btw, what happened with those kids that were supposed to replace grid girls? I haven't seen them whatsoever (while Dorna keeps flashing these Monster umbrella girls left, right & center in MotoGP despite them calling out F1 over their own girls).

Liberty doesn't have an inch of the guts Bernie had so they will NEVER enforce anything on those teams. The teams know it and they will play hardball with these schmucks all over the place.

i'd say there's 2 main reasons grid girls needed to go

1 - in a sense it says that a woman's place at the race track isn't in the cars, but holding the umbrellas and looking good for the cameras. i shouldn't have to say this, but that thinking is sexist as fuck

2 - ultimately it objectifies women and women's bodies

bonus reason: most of modern society had already figured this out and liberty was smart enough - or should i say, had the "guts" to do something about it

Are you running for political office or just trolling? Again, what about Dorna calling F1 out while keeping up with the umbrella girls everywhere? This modern society shtick is getting depressing. People have gotten extremely soft and are bitching about everything back & forth. God knows we need another global war for these stupid comments to stop. When you're taking money from oil sheiks to host races don't give me the "sexist" and "modern society" high morals because it's hypocrisy of the highest order :yuk:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RtN wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-renault-results/renault-shares-slump-after-carmaker-issues-sales-warning-idUSKBN1WX0O6

Hmm...where could Renault make some really big savings very quickly...?

Rumor is also going they’re gonna quit if the FIA punishes them for using an illegal brake balance system.

Probably just using it t as an excuse however.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:57 pm 

Scotty wrote:
I can't believe we're still talking about grid girls.

The presence of grid girls doesn't make the cars easier to overtake, so why is it still being discussed?

A woman holding the umbrella is there doing a job, she's getting paid for it and the only things she cares about is when she gets paid and when she's finished. For a go-kart kid in her place it's probably the greatest day of their life. A story they can tell for 50 years.

If you think grid girls need to come back, then seriously fuck right off.

The "modern society" should fuck right off motorsport, that's for sure :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thought of a very experimental reverse grid idea last night. Reverse half the grid. Uneven places keep their position, even places are reversed. Fastest man on pole, as it should. When you are 3rd with 5 minutes to go, will you push for pole with the risk of being 2nd? Or will you stay in 3rd, with the risk that someone else goes faster and puts you in 4th? Go slow and aim for that 18th or 20th spot? What if you end up 19th? Be strict on the 107% rule so nobody goes slow on purpose. Or even make it 105%.

Complicated and unfair, but every system with reversed grid will be unfair. I see no problem with the current system.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
I can't believe we're still talking about grid girls.
If you think grid girls need to come back, then seriously fuck right off.

I did, so did my dad who has been an avid fan, watcher and most importantly buyer of F1 related merchandise for nearly 80 years.

It wasn't just because of the grid girls, but it was a combination of everything that has happened in this stupid appeasing world we live in now where everybody gets offended by something and because one person doesn't like seeing a bit of leg, the rest of us are not allowed to look at it either, and don't get me started on risk, danger etc. F1 has taken a direction away from its core fanbase and routes, and just like other forms, will reap what it sowes eventually.

The market F1 is aiming itself at with this progressive shit is not loyal, they do not buy merchandise and do not attend events unless it's an all expenses paid trip organised by Liberty, all they do it bitch about what they don't like about something on Twitter and expect whoever they're complaining about to appease to their viewpoint. The sad part is that people like Liberty do. I bet half the people who jumped on the ban grid girls bandwagon didn't even know what a fucking grid girls was, and of course nobody thought to ask the grid girls themselves what they thought did they?

You'd have thought that being an American based company, Liberty and the FIA (because what Liberty wants, the FIA does) would have learnt the lessons from NASCAR and INDYCAR over what happens when you chase a mythical fan base and tell your loyal bread and butter fans to fuck off.

For every loyal grass routes fan you tell to fuck off and drive away, you do not replace it with an equally loyal grass routes fan, you replace it with a disloyal, impatient twat who never buys merchandise and as soon as something more interesting comes along will be off like a shot, and when you drive off that loyal fan, you do so also their offspring, most kids become interested in something because of a parents influence, not because it's "cool and progressive".

As for girls being interested, a girl will be interested regardless of whether there is a woman standing there holding an umbrella over the driver or not, it'll be the car that interests her more than the girl, well most anyway, some girls might even like to look at the girl too, ever thought of that? Doubt it.

So yeah, F1 has lost two lifelong fans over the last few years through this progressive and forward thinking "fuck off if you don't like it" attitude, I dare say we are not the only family to go this route, let me know how that's working out for you in a few years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:26 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not exactly willing to get in between you two, but I do believe you missed Ian's point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No he is not an idiot Scotty. As his comments say, it was a culmination of things. You know more often than not when a whole lot of little things continuously add up it is quite often the smallest trivial thing that finally breaks you. And for Ian-S it seems that that was the final thing. It looks petty in isolation but taken as a whole, it isn't really.

I don't tune into the pre race grid walk stuff so don't really give a toss about the grid girls...but I have to say that when I do catch a Moto GP pre grid I must admit...I like fast cars/bikes and hot titties.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
Experiments don't have to be gimmicky tbf. I'm not averse to F1 trying new things. I liked the idea of experimenting with reverse grid quali races even if I also think it wouldn't be as fun as people think

We've sort of seen prototypes of those races before, it's every race where a couple top dogs end up behind after a penalty or first lap contact.
They manage to painstakingly come back with little to no excitement, up until they get stopped by dirty air from fast mid-pack drivers, where they wait until they jump them in the pits. It's not even just a current era problem, we've had this same scenario as far back as the Hakkinen and Schumacher days.

I'm curious to see these races experimented though(for all the wrong reasons!), because a 20-car train of impatient and angry drivers at Monaco or Singapore would be FE-levels of amazing. On other tracks, this would yield better results with cars that can follow closely, but then… if you have that, you don't need reverse grids anymore do you? :o

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1615 posts ]  Go to page Previous 166 67 68 69 7081 Next