All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***

f1.com wrote:
Suzuka
When was the track built?
In 1962. Soichiro Honda, whose car company you may have heard of, was a man with big ambitions. Seeking to turn Honda into an automotive powerhouse, he decided his company should have its own test track. Dutchman John Hugenholtz got the nod, and drew up the now-iconic ‘crossover’ Suzuka track – although original drawings saw the track pass over and under itself a full three times, which would have been sweet!

When was its first Grand Prix?
Despite most people agreeing that Suzuka is a worthy successor to sliced bread in the ‘Best Thing’ stakes, the Japanese track was a relative latecomer to the F1 calendar, making its first appearance in 1987. Nigel Mansell would remember that weekend well, after he suffered a crash in qualifying that ruled him out of the race, gifting that year’s championship to his bitter rival Nelson Piquet.

What’s the circuit like?
Show us a racing a driver who doesn’t love Suzuka, and we’ll show you a liar. The high-speed track remains one of the ultimate driving challenges, with the snaking ‘S’ Curves, the two commitment-rewarding Degners and the white-knuckle ride of 130R all highlights in a series of highlights at what is one of F1’s seminal tracks. And hey, it’s got a crossover, which is always cool, right?

Why go?
A track that has witnessed an unfair share of legendary F1 moments (not least between Messrs Prost and Senna), a unique set of fans with an unabashed commitment to playing Formula 1 dress-up, a Ferris wheel, and great food. Okay, for most of us it’s a long slog to get there, but surely a better question is: ‘Why not go?’

Where is the best place to watch?
Take your pick. Grandstands D and E overlook the ‘S’ Curves, giving you an amazing chance to watch downforce and commitment working in perfect harmony as the drivers negotiate the sinuous turns. Elsewhere, the left flank of Grandstand G places you at the inside of 130R, which should be a bit of a treat, while if it’s overtaking you want, Grandstand I will give you a view of the incident-attracting Hairpin.

Last year's race
Vettel retires with a faulty spark plug and Hamilton wins easily en route to his 4th world championship

2018 Season Standings
Spoiler:

Full timetables
all times are local (GMT+9)
Spoiler:

no race due to typhoon ore more team orders to come?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Even if the race isn't that good, this is one of the circuits that I still get excited about. Especially watching the cars on the limit in qualifying.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:25 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was finally going to go to this race this year, but the dire lack of any support race series just killed it for me and I couldn't justify the expense of travel and hotel for it. Is there any GP that actually puts together a good package for supporters? The last GP I went to was the 2003 Australian GP and that was packed wall to wall with track action and events around the track. Great value for money. This years race in Suzuka is just horrendous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:24 am 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

They still have the gravel bed at Degner? The outside wall is too close to put the tarmac crap there?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:53 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Thursday and Friday very wet, no rain during the weekend, unless Typhoon Kong's trajectory changes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
I was finally going to go to this race this year, but the dire lack of any support race series just killed it for me and I couldn't justify the expense of travel and hotel for it. Is there any GP that actually puts together a good package for supporters? The last GP I went to was the 2003 Australian GP and that was packed wall to wall with track action and events around the track. Great value for money. This years race in Suzuka is just horrendous

I can't answer your question, but having attended the Canadian GP this year, while the atmosphere, organisation and location is top-notch, I felt it was lackluster in the racing regard. There was a Porsche cup local (continental maybe?) series with only 13 cars, a Ferrari Challenge race with a decent field but very little close combat. The biggest on-track entertainment value (I would argue including the F1 race!) came from Formula Ford... I understand your decision.
Maybe it's due to these venues being far? Australia excluded, I feel that European races may provide more value with more packed and competitive supports.

EDIT: wait, it's Japan already? Here I was assuming 2 weeks minimum like before because of a "far" GP. Good. I need to see a proper racetrack to erase the eyesore that Sotshit Autodrom is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:02 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Maybe the FIA is clamping down on supports now?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
Thursday and Friday very wet, no rain during the weekend, unless Typhoon Kong's trajectory changes.

Very wet, as in "we probably won't have any action on friday" wet?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:57 pm 

Could very well be if the forecast remains for a dry weekend.

But I expect it to change day by day with this Typhoon hovering South West of Japan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:15 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Love that F1 always insists on having 1 or 2 Asian grands prix during typhoon season. These people really know what they're doing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

since Japan is not the final race anymore they could go for the beggining of the season, before or after China, even setting the 1000th GP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:23 pm 

Spring is usually a monsoon season in the Far East too, right? The only viable solution would be putting the Japanese GP bang in June or July but that will never happen :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

they can do it but teams will whine because of the travelling but Japan now is more like an isolated race since they don't race nowhere near there in the end of the championship

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:16 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pretty much the same as the forecast I've been checking. Rain around on Saturday, but stops early Sunday morning...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:10 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Could make for an interesting GP, with race conditions likely being significantly different from practice and qualifying.

I mean it's probably gonna suck, but at least there's reason to believe it mightn't.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Renault having issues getting their Castrol engine oil out of customs after a shipping delay (due to typhoon) for their factory team & McLaren. Slight chance they might not run on Friday due to it.

Coldtyre wrote:
webbsy wrote:

I can't answer your question, but having attended the Canadian GP this year, while the atmosphere, organisation and location is top-notch, I felt it was lackluster in the racing regard. There was a Porsche cup local (continental maybe?) series with only 13 cars, a Ferrari Challenge race with a decent field but very little close combat. The biggest on-track entertainment value (I would argue including the F1 race!) came from Formula Ford... I understand your decision.
Maybe it's due to these venues being far? Australia excluded, I feel that European races may provide more value with more packed and competitive supports.

EDIT: wait, it's Japan already? Here I was assuming 2 weeks minimum like before because of a "far" GP. Good. I need to see a proper racetrack to erase the eyesore that Sotshit Autodrom is.

Porsche Cup races at Canada were under IMSA's Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge Canada.

IMSA runs 2 separate series for Porsche Carrera Cup cars. USA series usually has good car counts (mid 20's) while the Canada series is anywhere from 9 to 16 depending on weekend. Some races are combination events, usually either at Watkins Glen or Mosport on IMSA weekend or a southern "season opener" in Sebring

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

:(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:01 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I was all set to bitch about how it's typical we'll probably have washout FP's, limited qualy but a bone dry race, then of course seeing a picture of a Bianchi memorial means maybe I'm second guessing if we want another wet race here considering how badly the FIA fucked up the last one

Getting the race in before it got dark was way more important to them than drivers lives, it seemed.
I guess I hope it's forever dry here to prevent them pulling that shit again

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ted spent time in the FOM TV tent during FP1 filming a feature looking at OnBoard cameras that will air during Sunday pre-race show.