TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3838 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41192 Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:10 pm 

Blaming individual drivers for fatal accidents is stupid especially in this day and age where safety is such people don't even think about that anymore. Crashes are going to happen no matter what you do; outside of like, people intentionally wrecking others, the onus ought to be on the series and the teams to prepare safe cars and tracks.

Which they generally do - what could be done in a situation like this I don't know. Practically it might not be possible - I'm just saying apportioning blame to drivers doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:13 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

RtN wrote:
There's probably some sort of exotic material or alloy that they could build the tubs out of to withstand two or more impacts but it would obviously be cost-prohibitive to do so.

When you make car stronger, you make the driver more vulnerable. Human body can not withstand everything. Freak accidents happen.

Vassago wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
I'm sorry, but what did Alesi do? Lost control or had technical problem? I only see a chain reaction with the most shocking consequences.

It's a video game era. These days drivers have to "look at the data" before accepting even 1% blame for any crash. I'm sure Alesi will find a thousand valid excuses why it wasn't a driver error.

James Hunt blamed Patrese for Peterson's death for 15 years so spare me the high morals.

Maybe there was debris from Lafiti's car in there? Maybe Alesi had suspension failure? Looks weird how his car snaps so rapidly just before the Raidillion at a place where I usually find any car the most stable in simulation games. Not saying it couldn't be driver error, but I don't want to judge Alesi based on what I've seen. He was probably in good terms with his fellow racer and a countryman, so I'd be very cautious. Nothing brings Anthoine back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Racing is and will always be dangerous. This wreck happened at one of the fastest parts of the circuit, on the crest of a blind hill. Just a terrible circumstance.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:21 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I feel gutted :( Haven't seen such a horrible crash in years...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What a perfect day it was. Fantastic weather, first time my girlfriend joined me to a circuit. We saw an F3 guy go off in Pouhon, we saw Hamilton crash. My girlfriend admitted she had had a great time. Are they never hurt, she asked me. Don't worry, they are always protected, it's safe. Let's watch the last race of the day, I said, before we go home or to a restaurant.

Then the red flag. Race not to be restarted. I knew that was a bad sign. No replays of the crash. Then later the news. This day started fantastic, but ended oh so terrible. You see everyone pass through in the first lap, disappointed that no one went off in Les Combes. And two minutes later one of them is dead. This is a sad day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tomorrows F2 race has been cancelled

http://www.fiaformula2.com/News-Room/Ne ... STATEMENT/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:51 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

NVirkkula wrote:
RtN wrote:
There's probably some sort of exotic material or alloy that they could build the tubs out of to withstand two or more impacts but it would obviously be cost-prohibitive to do so.

When you make car stronger, you make the driver more vulnerable. Human body can not withstand everything. Freak accidents happen.

Vassago wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
I'm sorry, but what did Alesi do? Lost control or had technical problem? I only see a chain reaction with the most shocking consequences.

It's a video game era. These days drivers have to "look at the data" before accepting even 1% blame for any crash. I'm sure Alesi will find a thousand valid excuses why it wasn't a driver error.

James Hunt blamed Patrese for Peterson's death for 15 years so spare me the high morals.

Maybe there was debris from Lafiti's car in there? Maybe Alesi had suspension failure? Looks weird how his car snaps so rapidly just before the Raidillion at a place where I usually find any car the most stable in simulation games. Not saying it couldn't be driver error, but I don't want to judge Alesi based on what I've seen. He was probably in good terms with his fellow racer and a countryman, so I'd be very cautious. Nothing brings Anthoine back.

Cars bottoming out in Radillion / Eau Rouge used to be pretty standard tbh. But again, the video game era took ALL the fear factor away. These guys are driving there flat out like it's an ordinary corner. This accident just reminds everyone it's probably the most dangerous section left in F1 tracks. Sadly these youngsters don't remember what's it like to be punished for a mistake. I don't blame Alesi as much as the modern racing culture where simulators & astro turf are the new kings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:56 pm 

RIP Anthoine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i dont think it helped that hubert had already weakened the car by impacting the wall before being impacted by correa. but even then, a direct impact at speed to the driver probably involves forces too significant to overcome.

this crash feels most like zanardi's accident, except the torso took the brunt of the forces instead of the legs. considering the forces involved, the outcome was never going to be positive

a somber day. lets pray tomorrows race is free from tragedy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:14 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I'm actually a bit shocked that tomorrow's race has been cancelled on top of everything else, that's not usually the mentality in motorsports, it's usually a case of "the show must go on" and putting another race on and reminding everyone of why their here (while tributing the fallen driver, of course) is a great cathartic experience

Obviously greater minds than mine made this decision and it has to be respected, just feels weird they did that when it was such a freak accident.

Maybe they know more about the feeling in the paddock and how much shock everyone is in.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:17 pm 

is it just me or did it look like someone was leaking something through eau rouge, ahead of alesi? that's what it looked like to me, even before alesi started to lose control.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
I don't even have anything to say, I just want to be around people who "get" why this is a very gutting moment in Motorsports fandom

These guys put everything on the line just for us to be entertained.

Yes, they're in it for personal glory too, but this is so rare these days that it's a complete bolt out of the blue when it happens

Stay strong, fellow fans. If you need to talk about what you're trying to process, particularly if this is your first time, reach out to someone My Dms are open too if anyone can't find anyone else to share this terrible time with

RIP Antoine.

Being thinking about this.

Long-time fans like us have already been through this some times. And even if we know how this feels like, living this is painful indeed.

The time I received the news of Anthoine's death I was taken by shivers and I will be really sad and upset for the rest of the day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

kimifan wrote:
is it just me or did it look like someone was leaking something through eau rouge, ahead of alesi? that's what it looked like to me, even before alesi started to lose control.

The smoke was the cars bottoming out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not sure if there's been any angles posted showing it, or if there ever will be, but how did Correa go off track?
He was 2 cars behind Hubert entering Eau Rouge. Hubert's car was still outside the track limits at the point of impact and I'm just wondering what caused Correa to go so far out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It looked like another car had some oversteer just ahead of Alesi. You can't blame anyone. Alesi is one of many drivers to make a mistake at this corner (and it could have been mechanical). It's just terrible luck that the following cars were caught up in it, and awfully unlucky that Hubert was hit at the worst possible angle.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
I'm not sure if there's been any angles posted showing it, or if there ever will be, but how did Correa go off track?
He was 2 cars behind Hubert entering Eau Rouge. Hubert's car was still outside the track limits at the point of impact and I'm just wondering what caused Correa to go so far out.

It's difficult to know without seeing other angles. Maybe he was reacting to Alesi's car, because he was slow on the racing line when Correa arrived at the top of the hill. The car ahead of Correa narrowly squeezes by Alesi off the track as well.

I assume that Hubert hit Alesi, or did he go off in avoidance?

Last edited by De Cesaris fan on Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's true that the video game mentality has set in today's drivers but at the same time, I'm reminded of the Ickx-Bellof crash at Eau Rouge from 1985 which was as video game of a move as you could imagine, so it's not only that. Just bad circumstances, like many of you seem to agree.

Also, I was pretty sure that by now, we'd hear of a chicane before or at Eau Rouge like 1994 for tomorrow's F1 race, but nothing so far?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They'd have to give the drivers an extra practice session if they were to put in a chicane for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 pm 

SB83 wrote:
It's true that the video game mentality has set in today's drivers but at the same time, I'm reminded of the Ickx-Bellof crash at Eau Rouge from 1985 which was as video game of a move as you could imagine, so it's not only that. Just bad circumstances, like many of you seem to agree.

Also, I was pretty sure that by now, we'd hear of a chicane before or at Eau Rouge like 1994 for tomorrow's F1 race, but nothing so far?

Passing anyone on the outside of Eau Rouge in the rain is flat out insane regardless of the era. Bellof was a victim of his own decision :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:12 pm 

Blaming individuals in a situation like this is just blatant stupidity. First of all we do not know yet the whole story of this horrific accident. After investigations by professionals and news after that we may have right answers.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3838 posts ]  Go to page Previous 137 38 39 40 41192 Next