TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1102 103 104 105 106113 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No one else is going to want to try after the Donington failure.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
is about time to ban these softwares and set a point system to limit downforce

The most frustrating thing about all this is that the solution is obvious to most people (including former F1 designers!) outside of the vacuum chamber that Liberty and the teams live in:

- Bring back ground effects, starting the venturi behind the driver or a set distance in front of the rear wheels. Control it by defining the maximum height at the front and rear boundaries, and enforcing a maximum air volume. Let the aero guys have fun with the shape.

- Restrict the front wing to one main plane and one element on either side. Define the area of the elements to prevent their influence on the rest of the car, and make it clear that each element should have two defined sides which have a maximum thickness when viewed from the side, to rule out weird attempts at curving extra surfaces to simulate extra elements.

- Apply the same limits to the rear wing, albeit with a single main element. Endplates on both should be flat, with a defined thickness and uniform surface.

That's three simple rules, which I suspect would massively reduce the sensitivity to dirty air because both wings would be massively simplified. I posted a concept back in the Australian GP thread, but it's pretty easy to visualise and I think it looks alright:

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have no idea if the in-situ video of Hanoi streets F1 posted on Youtube is the most brilliant, or the most ridiculous thing ever. Just watch it. It's great.

I was interested at first when they talked about the Suzuka-like esses and the Beau-ravage parts of the circuit, but since those are going to be built from scratch rather than follow the natural curves of city streets, expect just a road course section within the city race.

Anyways I'm completely down for a 1.5km slipstream-fest like Baku has provided in the recent races. Might not deliver, but I'd rather be bored in a new place than in familiar places.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fabs wrote:
what a joke

Since Monza 2017, I keep reading this phrase in Alonso's voice.

Followed by the urge to shout "KARMA!"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

When the day comes that Liberty sells F1, I will be very happy but I'm afraid what F1 will be when that happens.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Not sure why there's so many negative comments towards a Vietnam race, this is afterall a world championship 8O and the track looks pretty cool too.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

iks wrote:
When the day comes that Liberty sells F1, I will be very happy but I'm afraid what F1 will be when that happens.

What is wrong with Liberty?

I see a lot of comments criticizing the inner politics and what happens behind curtains at a business level, but did we used to care as spectators/viewers/fans? When did we start to care about how meetings between F1 and teams are conducted or what the agenda of those meetings is?

I certainly don't give a crap. What I see from the outside is that the "show" part got much cooler: we have highlights and fun videos for free on Youtube, an online pay-per-view service, spectacular race coverage, and on-screen stats/facts. They showed that they care about the entertainement that they're delivering to us. Sure, racing may arguably be subpar, but that has been an on-and-off issue throughout history, even back when entertainment was non-existent and decades behind other popular sports and nothing of value was delivered to the viewers.

All of it is WAY better than it used to be under the austere, old, closed-off, elitist days of Bernie. Back when F1 reeked of old-man clothes smell.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:08 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

bring back bernie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coldtyre wrote:
iks wrote:

What is wrong with Liberty?

I see a lot of comments criticizing the inner politics and what happens behind curtains at a business level, but did we used to care as spectators/viewers/fans? When did we start to care about how meetings between F1 and teams are conducted or what the agenda of those meetings is?

I certainly don't give a crap. What I see from the outside is that the "show" part got much cooler: we have highlights and fun videos for free on Youtube, an online pay-per-view service, spectacular race coverage, and on-screen stats/facts. They showed that they care about the entertainement that they're delivering to us. Sure, racing may arguably be subpar, but that has been an on-and-off issue throughout history, even back when entertainment was non-existent and decades behind other popular sports and nothing of value was delivered to the viewers.

All of it is WAY better than it used to be under the austere, old, closed-off, elitist days of Bernie. Back when F1 reeked of old-man clothes smell.

That aspect is light years ahead of what Bernie was doing yes and is everything I would expect a media/entertainment company to do....everything else? Short of dictating to the FIA what is actually going to happen going forward, they don't seem to have a clue.

Vietnam maybe a great place, but I hardly think wow, F1 is going to the great destinations. You can remove Bahrain and Baku from that list as well, and change the location of the Russian race.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:39 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Juihi wrote:
Not sure why there's so many negative comments towards a Vietnam race, this is afterall a world championship 8O and the track looks pretty cool too.

The negative comments are probably from the ones who want Imola back on the schedule. That was a terrible race pretty much every year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I want the grid girls back!

and gravel at the Parabolica!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Juihi wrote:

The negative comments are probably from the ones who want Imola back on the schedule. That was a terrible race pretty much every year.

And thought Baku was going to be horrible (to be fair I fell into that category :lol: , but mainly because it clashed with Le Mans )

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't care if they had 20 races in the UK only. I don't care if the track is near one of the most beautiful cities of the world, or in a swamp. You don't see that during the race. I want 20 exciting races on nice tracks.
Hanoi looks 1. like nothing new, and 2. like it could be anywhere in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
I want the grid girls back!

and gravel at the Parabolica!

You're so old-fashioned! We need gravel on the grid and girls at the Parabolica :flag:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so what about limiting the electricity use by racing teams, if they use more that 1 GWh per month their power are shut and they can't work their CFDs and wind tunnels

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
That aspect is light years ahead of

Am I imagining things or did you just use light-years, a measure of distance, to express a time duration? Back in the days of capital punishment, this was an offense punishable by being catapulted light-years away from planet earth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

MotoGP guys would love it, might encourage Marquez to crash a bit more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:14 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Vietnam track looks wide in many places:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
LucasWheldon wrote:
so what about limiting the electricity use by racing teams, if they use more that 1 GWh per month their power are shut and they can't work their CFDs and wind tunnels

Not that easy.

If the technical rules were modified and a budget cap were set, F1 would be saved in an instant.

Nothing over the top, I'd say about $80-$100m a year, with drivers salaries being outside the cap. All teams get supervised and audited yearly. Get fined if they go over. Simple.

We'd have 30-35 car grids, 7-8 manufacturers by the early 2020's.

But Mercedes and Ferrari don't want that so guess they'll just keep running it into the ground.

Yeah, for that to happen F1 should take away any voting right for the teams and if they try to do that a whole bunch of them cry murder and pretend to leave. And when that happens the owners get scared and drop it so teams still have a say and as usual their say only benefits themselves so nothing will change and F1's future still looks bleak.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1102 103 104 105 106113 Next