TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 54113 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Williams is the F1 equivalent of a Nascar start&park team

they should sell their assets for anyone who wants to win again

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No they're not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Williams is the F1 equivalent of a Nascar start&park team

This is exactly what Williams isn't. They are some of the most passionate people you will find in motorsport.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
so they should put more effort on development with the millions they earned in the last seasons

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:54 am 

Hi all. Haven't posted here in years but I have 2 spare Race Day GA tickets for the Canadian GP for sale for half the going rate if anyone was considering attending.

Mods feel free to delete this post if not allowed. They'll be going in the bin otherwise!

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gabriel wrote:
If the Williams-Porsche rumours become real, they just have to hold on until 2020, then they can be a works team again.

Is there any validity in this? IF VAG would enter F1 I can see them doing it as a full team (new or buyout) or with a top team. And seeing how close Red Bull and VAG are in other series I think I would put my money on them. I doubt Aston Martin would be able to convince them to go with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:03 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I thought Porsche were more linked to Red Bull as well, so if they are they'll have Honda/Aston Martin/Porsche and possibly Renault all vying to supply them

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Juihi wrote:
EAS wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Just read that Kimi Raikkonen was accused of sexual assault, by a canadian waitress, after the Canadian GP weekend in 2016.

Heard this yesterday, the same day Alonso was announcing a running event to raise awareness on harassment on women. Such an irony.

Raikkonen seemed pretty emphatic stating that nothing happened. According to him, the woman is blackmailing him, asking for a seven digit amount of money to keep silent and the evidence of that was sent to the Canadian court.

I wouldn't put my hand on fire for him, but his assertiveness on the matter called my attention.

If it was in a pub or bar surely they have CCTV cameras that will surely clear up the matter quite easily

OK, so this waitress, which seems to be a good old time gold digger, made her claim (2015 was the year, not 2016 when something allegedly happened) in her blog last year and then again earlier on this year, threatening to publish the driver's name by 28th of May if not paid seven figures. When the deadline was reached, Kimi's lawyers filed blackmailing charges against the waitress, which in Canada would mean minimum of two years in prison if found guilty. Kimi has not been filed against and I doubt he ever will. I don't think Kimi's corner would file a case if they would have any chance of losing it in court. Or would Sergio Marchionne defend Räikkönen without knowing full story.

According to the waitress, Kimi had touched her bra or boob while anonymous Kimi's friend would have touched her private parts. The anonymous friend was not blackmailed and the waitress wanted to keep this secret and make the deal with Räikkönen face to face, thus blackmailing. And the whole thing is not about the seven figure sum, not at all. It's about harassment and getting more comfortable with men in romantic occasions again. After three years of waiting this opportunity. :roll: I guess a seven figure payment would turn her into a romantic herself once again. :whistling: The waitress and her lawyer has not revealed the sum, maybe being part of their strategy to try to settle this outside of the court.

I can only assume she doesn't have any CCTV evidence, and she's no longer working in this night club, maybe explaining why wait this long in the first place. According to her own blog she had taken few shots during her working ours at the club, not from Kimi's group, but behind the bar and after her shift took a bottle of wine in a state of shock with her. I don't know how it is in Canada, but in Finland that alone would explain why she's no longer working there.

I know Kimi can party, but I don't think he would ever harass anyone. But for sure it could happen the other way around. He's rich and famous even among the people who don't follow F1 that much.

Spoiler:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

:roll:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/06/05/f1- ... onsidered/

Quote:
Formula 1 is considering “fundamental” changes to the format of grand prix weekends from 2021 which could include shorter races, changes to qualifying and reduced practice sessions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Whats wrong with the format since 1950?
Eg. 305km distance on sunday, im happy how it is now.
I wont have time for race in saturday and sunday like GP2. Sunday was always race day for F1. Why change that?
Mann they have to ruin absolutley everything

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because of people with no attention spans. Trying to cater to those for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

alex1369 wrote:
I wont have time for race in saturday and sunday like GP2. Sunday was always race day for F1. Why change that?

"change" is a common mistake that those in management in almost every company/organization believe will improve whatever their product or process is. Process changes piss me the fuck off, especially when they have the opposite of the intended result, which is all too common at work. :lol:

Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't touch it. And I'm not even a traditionalist.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutber's_law

Is it just coincidence that the only sporting competitions with growing fanbases are those that have successfully identified their core demographics and whose marketing has the aim of getting as many of them to watch as possible?

My popcorn is ready.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
iks wrote:
alex1369 wrote:

"change" is a common mistake that those in management in almost every company/organization believe will improve whatever their product or process is. Process changes piss me the fuck off, especially when they have the opposite of the intended result, which is all too common at work. :lol:

Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't touch it. And I'm not even a traditionalist.

But it is broken. Viewing numbers across all forms of motorsport are dropping, some at a rapid rate.

Ever heard the phrase 'if you're not growing, you're dying'? 'F1 needs to grow. Just because the suggestions put forward aren't suited to how you like it doesn't mean its going to break the sport.

Personally, I'm all for reducing the race distance. Not calling for 10 lap sprint races, but 10-25% less than what we have now is much better, considering most races have about 20-30 laps which could be considered "filler" anyway. Just padding out the numbers, making up the distance.

change≠growth

Hey I have a dumb idea. How about we make all the races have the same number of laps regardless of circuit length? I actually wouldn't mind. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cars can't overtake, the races are boring, people are no longer willing to pay a lot to see this crap show so tv viewing numbers are dropping. What should we do?

Make shorter races.

Because... I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here is a question. Are people turning off motorsport (cars) because pretty much every series has become sanitized and bland? No, i'm not calling for a return to space frame aluminum chassis or the like, but it just seems that across the board racing series have become...meh.

A good example is the Aussie V8Supercars, or Supercars or whatever the fuck they are calling themselves nowdays. I used to love those, I recently started to try and watch them again and my God, I wanted to poke my eyes out for how bland and boring the whole spectacle has become.

I also used to like to catch NASCAR races. Tried watching a full race a while back and it was even worse that the V8s, especially taking into account possibly the dumbest thing to ever grace a top flight racing weekend...segmented races. Though to be fair that ridiculous qualy format that lasted 2 races in F1 at the start of 2016 ran it pretty close.

The only real motorsport series that excites me nowdays is Motogp (they just need to sort out the bloody TV coverage), because it has consequences for mistakes, has close racing, the ability to pass if good enough, looks and sounds great and the ability of satelite teams to mix it with the factory squads...and no gimmicks!!!

I'm barely holding on by a thread with F1 these days (though pervesly the more I am become distant with it the more that I am following it and invested in it???) and am only sticking around because of my legacy of love for it. But if they fuck around with it any more then I am done with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

NASCAR is a pretty good example of how abandoning what your current fanbase likes to potentially reach a new fanbase can leave you in a worse position than where you started. Would NASCAR have kept growing if they hadn't changed? Unlikely. Would they have enjoyed a longer, slower decline from their most profitable years? Undoubtedly. The problem is if you hire new executives all they want to do is make a name for themselves, and they can't do that by continuing what the previous guy got right, so from a career point of view there's nothing to lose by gutting the sport.

F1 needs a lot of things fixed but I think the race lengths are perfect. Any shorter and we wouldn't have races like Bahrain where different tire choices shook things up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shortening the race distance would not be a new thing. The race distance used to be 500 Km and it was shortened to 305 - Lorenzo Bandini fatal crash was decisive in this sense as it was understood he crashed due to fatigue of being racing for more than 2 hours.

But I don't think shortening races this time would be good for F1. People have a shorter attention span today, ok, but 90-120 minutes is a decent time for an event such as an F1 race. I don't see shorter races improving the spectacle but I can see it shrinking the perceived value of what F1 is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
NASCAR is a pretty good example of how abandoning what your current fanbase likes to potentially reach a new fanbase can leave you in a worse position than where you started. Would NASCAR have kept growing if they hadn't changed? Unlikely. Would they have enjoyed a longer, slower decline from their most profitable years? Undoubtedly. The problem is if you hire new executives all they want to do is make a name for themselves, and they can't do that by continuing what the previous guy got right, so from a career point of view there's nothing to lose by gutting the sport.

F1 needs a lot of things fixed but I think the race lengths are perfect. Any shorter and we wouldn't have races like Bahrain where different tire choices shook things up.

TNT (the American TV channel) is another fine example, owners bring in new management, new management instantly cancels every single original scripted show they have on air, many of which are winning the nights, because new management knows how to fix non-existent problem, takes channel in new direction, owners wonder why nobody is watching anymore.

Don't fix what isn't broke, only fix what is, race lengths are fine, if someone isn't prepared to sit down for 90 minutes and watch a race, they are not going to spend £000's on your merchandise and are not your core demographic, regardless of what Nielsen says.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

These are just ideas at the end of the day. And there's no guarantee they'll be put into practice.

The GP weekend format does need an update. It's massively outdated. I can't agree however that there should be change to the race distance.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2255 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 54113 Next