TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 54 Next

Your prediction for Fernando Alonso's race.
Winner. 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
In comptetition for victory, but not quite there. 47%  47%  [ 36 ]
Not even close to the top drivers. 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
Retires due Honda. 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
In to the wall, rookie mistake. 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
Total votes: 76
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:30 pm 

Generally speaking that's probably more reflecting the decline of auto racing as a whole. Ratings wise, Indy 500 started doing better than the Charlotte 600 a few years back (for about a decade, the Charlotte 600 was more popular I believe) and it was the same again this year. It seems all destined for a slow decline until self driving cars or something kills the entire sport, and race-tracks give way to drone tinkerers or something. Just the way it is. At least Indycar is overall kind of treading water, relatively speaking.

Today I imagine the next generation probably cares more about this Indy event, if anything, for the EDM in the new "Snake Pit". Having enjoyed electronic dance music "back in my day", I, too, could make Reddit style snark about today's stadium electrohousedubsteptrapwhatever. But I think I'll just let them enjoy their drops and 808 cymbal trills. Just the way it is. :p

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The Coke 600 being rain-delayed probably didn't help it's cause. And even if the Indy 500 did get a larger audience then that race the shitty Daytona 500 early in the year still had a rating of about 6.6 as opposed to 3.6 for Indy, although Indy did get about the same (or better) rating as every other Cup race this year.

NBC Sports incidentally claimed that Monaco got the largest ever audience for an F1 race in the US, with a total of 1.53 million viewers. I would be interested to see anything that backs that up.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:27 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the Indy 500 will become a hit among youngsters if they have more Driven-ish crashes or if the cars become transformers

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe4345 wrote:
The CARS universe still creeps me the fuck out.

My god, I saw it now.
I hope that there will be some night races action soon (NASCAR, Aussie) because for sure I will not be able to sleep

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coldtyre wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
Joe4345 wrote:
The CARS universe still creeps me the fuck out.

I had pushed it to the back of my mind until accidentally thinking about how air and rail travel seems to work on the basis of cramming yourself (and others) inside someone else's body 8O

aka, a typical Saturday night?

My rates are negotiable :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:56 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

simonracer wrote:
NBC Sports incidentally claimed that Monaco got the largest ever audience for an F1 race in the US, with a total of 1.53 million viewers. I would be interested to see anything that backs that up.

If Monaco has the best rating ever, and Indy the worst... maybe Americans just dont like Alonso.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
It's like a perfect example of monotony to me, ie, the same thing over and over. It's like watching a .gif looping every 10s.

Yeah, watching a mixture of left AND right turns where cars rarely attempt to pass is sooooo much more exciting. Its the presence of right turns that really makes or breaks motorsports, I think we can all agree on that.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the "left turn only" argument doesn't really mean that, unless you're talking to a stubborn idiot. If you had a figure-eight oval with a long left turn and a similar radius righ turn, you know that people would still complain about the perceived monotony and repetitiveness of it, merely because the variety and challenge and driving skill and lane/corner differences and braking/acceleration/shifting aren't as obvious to the untrained eye as on a road track.

People watch the race, hear the engine sound, and relate to their everyday driving which makes them think that oval racing = motorway, and road racing = twisty country backroad. Motorsports fans know it isn't like that at all.

It's merely a problem of lack of information and lack of attention to the details, just like with all sports that you need to get into the details to appreciate what goes into them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A lot of people really should sit down and watch a NASCAR or Indycar race on an oval. For good measure also show the speed in KM/H as people might think that 190mph isnt that fast.

More than once I read or heard people starting to respect oval racing after actually watching a race.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

micha wrote:
A lot of people really should sit down and watch a NASCAR or Indycar race on an oval. For good measure also show the speed in KM/H as people might think that 190mph isnt that fast.

More than once I read or heard people starting to respect oval racing after actually watching a race.

i remember growing up watching races on tv and i would sometimes think, "with some practice, i bet i could do that." and then one day i got the chance to actually go to a race (daytona) and see, and feel, and smell that potentially life-changing speed. watching those fools race door to door you very quickly realize those motherfuckers earn every penny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

trout wrote:
micha wrote:

i remember growing up watching races on tv and i would sometimes think, "with some practice, i bet i could do that." and then one day i got the chance to actually go to a race (daytona) and see, and feel, and smell that potentially life-changing speed. watching those fools race door to door you very quickly realize those motherfuckers earn every penny

I played a lot of NR200x back in the days in online competitions and boy that stuff was intense. And thats without the risk of injury or death. I just didn't want to crash out others.
This alone already gave me big respect for the real deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh my!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

He ducked way before the car got even close to him, missing the best shots. Pussy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:07 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Second photo shows how lucky Howard was not to take any impact/debris on the left side of his head.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
Second photo shows how lucky Howard was not to take any impact/debris on the left side of his head.

Yeah, that was really close...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

pretty funny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Chris A wrote:

those precision shots just proves what we've been saying after those massive crashes

"if it was 20 years ago one of them would be dead or seriously injured by now"

about oval racing being competitive I guess some road racing fans dislike the way some drivers pull a gap, and then comes a yellow bringing all cars together. I still like that, specially at F1, to put more randomness (not at all races obviously)

when I started watching racing at ovals, during CART's best moment I used to stare at those low downforce cars blasting the gas as if they were crash magnets and then racing on superspeedways made me love at first sight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's incredible the safety and structural advances that have been made to these tubs since Zanardi's crash 16 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, not only lucky in that case.

But boy those sidepods really work as a launching ramp, I wonder if this crash happened with the pre-dw12 car or the Cart ones, how it would unfold.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous 150 51 52 53 54 Next