TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous 148 49 50 51 5254 Next

Your prediction for Fernando Alonso's race.
Winner. 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
In comptetition for victory, but not quite there. 47%  47%  [ 36 ]
Not even close to the top drivers. 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
Retires due Honda. 17%  17%  [ 13 ]
In to the wall, rookie mistake. 16%  16%  [ 12 ]
Total votes: 76
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

@
cookie
You never know. Maybe it could've been worse, a lower launch in height, but at a much sharper angle towards the fence?

Another observation is that had Dixon not hit him, Howard's car would've been kept steering further left towards a sizeable head-on impact, or a broad-side by a car trying to go low on the apron?

The more you wonder "what-if", the more you realise that maybe what we've seen was the 'best' outcome, considering that everyone in and off the track walked away uninjured. :8:

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:20 pm 

ziomkris96 wrote:
Chris A wrote:
I was watching some more of the TV replays a few minutes ago and just noticed that Helio hit some sort of a bump in the pavement as he was passing under Dixon. His whole car hopped off the ground and probably covered 50-60 feet (albeit very low). Crazy that he hung onto it (and the car was still good enough to come home second).

From Helio facebook page:

No need to Photoshop that!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:02 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

micha wrote:
Can we take hints from Alonso's words that his return depends on who he drives for in F1 in the next few seasons? He said He'll return. Not He'll return next year.

mansell was able to handle a Indy500 at 40+ and he wasn't even close to the level of fitness today drivers have, i think there's plenty of time for alonso to try it again

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

cambridge wrote:
micha wrote:
Can we take hints from Alonso's words that his return depends on who he drives for in F1 in the next few seasons? He said He'll return. Not He'll return next year.

mansell was able to handle a Indy500 at 40+ and he wasn't even close to the level of fitness today drivers have, i think there's plenty of time for alonso to try it again

@
micha
that might well be the case I think. I'm skeptical Honda will get their shit together, so unless McLaren can get out of that deal and get Mercedes back I don't see Fernando signing a new contract. And unless Ferrari/Merc get him replacing Kimi/Bottas I don't see where Fernando could end up. He clearly wants to win and fighting for peanuts is just not what he wants right now.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:56 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

pending wrote:
cambridge wrote:
micha wrote:

@
micha
that might well be the case I think. I'm skeptical Honda will get their shit together, so unless McLaren can get out of that deal and get Mercedes back I don't see Fernando signing a new contract. And unless Ferrari/Merc get him replacing Kimi/Bottas I don't see where Fernando could end up. He clearly wants to win and fighting for peanuts is just not what he wants right now.

Kimi's retiring soon surely. Would he be tempted back into a championship winning Ferrari (as it surely will be after this year) even if he has to deal with Vettel?

However, if that happens, kiss him returning to Indy goodbye :(

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Alonso got good time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapo ... ge_records

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cambridge wrote:
micha wrote:

And Emmo 93/94 was how old?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Joe A wrote:

This guy was a Denver Post employee. I say was because this tweet apparently got him fired.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... c978a8b223

Soul Reaver wrote:
cambridge wrote:
micha wrote:

And Emmo 93/94 was how old?

Don't forget that Mario was still active in those years, retiring at the end of 94 at the age of 54.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:51 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
This guy was a Denver Post employee. I say was because this tweet apparently got him fired.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... c978a8b223

strange the world we live in: a nobody guy makes an ignorant racist comment on Twitter in his private time speaking only for himself and gets fired from his job.
in the same country Donald Trump calls all mexicans rapists and tells he grabs women by the pussy cause he is famous and gets elected president of the united states. Strange world we live in.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

cookie wrote:
Noticed that Dixon was steering straight into Howard just before impact, like at the last moment he changed his mind to go to the right of howard instead of keeping left. If he had not don that the launch would not have been so big I think. It was just a split second decision of course, but if he had kept steering left it would probably have been a smaller incident.
free image hosting

Maybe he realized that he was about to hit the left side of the car, which would launch hin high into the air, and he therefore decided if he would hit the car in its middle, the launch wouldnt be as bad because hed rather hit the gearbox than the spinning tire?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pending wrote:
cambridge wrote:
micha wrote:

@
micha

An interview made before the race, doesn't say much but kind of hints that if Honda engine still sucks and he doesn't have another seat, he might be ok with leaving?

So you're not going to follow Mark Webber to WEC?

Listen, I finish this contract with McLaren at the end of the year and I will have to make a decision. My intention is to stay in Formula 1. I've developed my skills around the F1 cars. I'd love to attempt different series, but just for my own growth, not really my career. You know? To come to IndyCar and race against the best oval drivers in the world. That's attractive. To go to endurance cars and race against the best there. To feel competitive there, that would make me pleased. but Formula 1 is my life. Then again, I feel happy when I'm behind a steering wheel. Any steering wheel, really...

http://www.thedrive.com/accelerator/105 ... of-indycar

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He'll eventually move to another series full time. I would've loved to see him race in the early to late 90s CART era.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Zak Brown not too pleased after the race:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Question: Why is Alonso rookie of the year and not Ed Jones?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

iks wrote:
Zak Brown not too pleased after the race:

:lol:

Kinda reminds me of Logano face after Kansas crash:
Spoiler:

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

thestig88 wrote:
ziomkris96 wrote:
Chris A wrote:
I was watching some more of the TV replays a few minutes ago and just noticed that Helio hit some sort of a bump in the pavement as he was passing under Dixon. His whole car hopped off the ground and probably covered 50-60 feet (albeit very low). Crazy that he hung onto it (and the car was still good enough to come home second).

From Helio facebook page:

No need to Photoshop that!

That is absolutely nuts!, surely one of the most crazy motorspots photos ever taken

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pending wrote:
Question: Why is Alonso rookie of the year and not Ed Jones?

Seabass feels the same:

I think he misses the point a little bit, in that Alonso was more of a genuine rookie than Jones. I get that Ed Jones was parachuted in at the last minute and definitely drove a great race, but he is a series regular and has two years of Lights behind him. Tough call though.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Both deserve it but I genuinely think that the name "Alonso" helped in the scale tipping his way.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:30 pm 

micha wrote:
Both deserve it but I genuinely think that the name "Alonso" helped in the scale tipping his way.

It probably didn't help that Ed Jones never led a lap while Fernando Alonso led 27.

This is probably one of those cases where a co-award would've been best.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The first quarter of the race, up to the Red-flag made his day.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1069 posts ]  Go to page Previous 148 49 50 51 5254 Next