TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:56 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Holy shit that was dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ziomkris96 wrote:
Jeff wrote:
After being a hockey fan for the past couple of years, most of NASCAR's "fights" look pretty lame.

No, they aren't

I don't think this is the best example in support of your argument :innocent:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:04 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, that was entertaining but it's certainly not because it was an Actual Good Fight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Easy. I am on Jeff side :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:59 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH_89Au8xL8

Still the best fight commentary ever. "Hit him with the fire bottle!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The first 15 seconds or so should do for comparison. Rusty could've kept Jeff pinned down and run him right into Ricky Rudd, but allowed him room to get back in line, which fucked no one but himself in the end. Logano did the same thing Rusty did but didn't let Kyle back down.

Logano's move was cheap, but it was the last lap. Kyle should've known what was coming right there. Crack the throttle, let the 22 go, swing around the 2 and get the 22 back in T3 or coming out of 4.

Realistically, carrying speed up off the bottom out of 4 is nearly impossible when someone is on the outside. Logano's only shot to get Kyle was to take it into 3 as hard as possible and hope that it would stick enough to be door to door with him coming out of the corner. It didn't work out.

Anyone other than Logano and Kyle wouldn't have gone up to him swinging.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:15 pm 

But I wonder if, given the time period, Rusty probably felt an air of vulnerability that today's drivers supposedly don't feel. I've heard a common criticism that all the safety paraphernalia in the cars and on the track have made today's drivers feel that they can't get hurt and they can't get killed. By comparison, Rusty might have pulled up in 1999 because he didn't want to be responsible for two drivers, or more, getting badly hurt in an accident that would have ensued had he held Gordon to the apron.

What I'm trying to say, without knocking the safety features of today that have saved lives, is that Rusty pulling up may have been a product of less safe era. If it's 1999, Logano might have given Kyle the lane, but who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't really see the issue with Logano's move. Drivers have used backmarkers and slower cars to make moves all the time. Sometimes you have to accept that you've been outsmarted, and lift your foot off the accelerator. Kyle still could have finished 4th or 5th. If you pick the wrong lane on a plate track, you don't just change lanes and slam the car alongside you. If you're stuck on the high side at Bristol behind a slower car, you wait until a gap appears. There seems to be a mindset that you can't lift anymore. Probably why we see so many accidents in the closing laps at plate races.

Yes, Logano is not that likeable, but I'm amazed at how many people are blaming him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Mid-race, I'd agree. But trying that move on the last lap is just asking for trouble. Logano knows damn good and well that he'd have made a hole just the same if the roles were reversed, and rightfully so. He was just butthurt it didn't work out the way he'd brainlessly hoped so he just took it out on Kyle.

Of course I'll be singing a different tune next week when Kyle inevitably goes full Earl and hooks Logano head on into the wall in the dogleg. It's nearly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Kyle to be the "wronged" party, so you have to know he won't handle it reasonably.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:44 am 

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I don't really see the issue with Logano's move. Drivers have used backmarkers and slower cars to make moves all the time. Sometimes you have to accept that you've been outsmarted, and lift your foot off the accelerator. Kyle still could have finished 4th or 5th. If you pick the wrong lane on a plate track, you don't just change lanes and slam the car alongside you. If you're stuck on the high side at Bristol behind a slower car, you wait until a gap appears. There seems to be a mindset that you can't lift anymore. Probably why we see so many accidents in the closing laps at plate races.

Yes, Logano is not that likeable, but I'm amazed at how many people are blaming him.

Different race tracks are for different kinds of racing.

Logano tried to screw Busch and, as usual, couldn't handle the consequences of his actions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kinda like how Bobby Labonte pushed Mayfield back behind Rick Mast...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:

There is a difference between trying to use a slower car to smartly make a pass and trying to run someone into a moving chicane that is going 30mph slower than you. Plus it doesn't change the fact that Joey hammered the throttle mid corner to come back to him and flat out out dump him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:41 pm 

De Cesaris fan wrote:

Simple. If it was any other driver, we would give the benefit of doubt but given it's effin Logano, we can be quite certain he was malicious/sleazy again, as he often is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:

i find logano unlikeable, yet i see no problem with his move to trap busch behind another car. its a legit racing move. nor do i see any issue with busch forcibly creating a hole for himself and pinning logano to the bottom - just damn good racin.

logano is a bit of a tempermental spaz on the track when stuff like this happens, and i can see him being too desperate in the middle of the corner and knowing he would wash up into busch without necessarily doing it "on purpose." but i could easily see him doing it intentionally; its very similar to how he ended up breaking hamilin's back in 2013 at autoclub speedway

wonderbread is the new horseface

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:29 pm 

Clean hard racing is Carl Edwards at Kansas. Not a chance in hell of it working, but he tried, and didn't wreck Jimmie Johnson in the process. Joey tried something stupid (twice) and wrecked Kyle Busch.

Maybe that's just the difference between clean racing and dirty? Or a decent racecar driver and a great one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:46 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

De Cesaris fan wrote:

It's finishes like this where you realise there is no unbiased analysis, just people either one driver or the other enough to try and talk up/down one of them in favour of the other.

I'm not immune to this, because it happened to kyle I find the whole thing hilarious, even if I genuinely can't see what Logano did wrong. (contrary to posts above, that sort of move is acceptable on the last lap, mid-race you'd expect them both to back off and try the run out of the corner)

I have more problems with Kyle's Burnout Takedown move on the backstretch than Logono racing hard in the final corner and getting loose (it's not a takedown at all, it's hard racing ending in a mistake, but there's a world of difference between that an intentional, Earndheart style wrecking), but that's probably because Kyle is the worst douche in the whole paddock and the best you can say about him in this is the taste of his own medicine seems too bitter for him to take.

But, then I would say that wouldn't I

If Kyle is smart he'll wait until Martinsville for payback, but he isn't and he'll probably put Logano in hospital in the middle of the backstraight at Pheonix, probably using the dogleg to get at Joey, he's just the worst kind of dick like that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:55 pm 

codename_47 wrote:
If Kyle is smart he'll wait until Martinsville for payback, but he isn't and he'll probably put Logano in hospital in the middle of the backstraight at Pheonix, probably using the dogleg to get at Joey, he's just the worst kind of dick like that.

Yes, this concerns me as well, and it's not as if Kyle's track record has shown otherwise. He could have hurt Hornaday at Texas a few years ago with that bit of retaliation that ended his season, and I'm concerned that Kyle will see blood when he sees the 22 regardless of where on the track, or what track, they're at. If he has to send a message, send it, but not to a point where he puts the guy in the hospital.

However, I must stress that just because the speeds may be much lower at Martinsville, that does not mean the impacts would be any softer. Some of the hardest shots I've seen have happened at Martinsville and I recall the Kenseth/Logano payback a couple of years back being a rather solid impact with the wall. I recall Dennis Setzer practically knocking down a wall a few years ago there during practice and the same for Martin Truex around the same time.

I just hope nobody gets hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Apparently Brian France has warned that there will be repercussions if Kyle retaliates. So, I'm assuming the entire Gibbs organization, his mom, his dad, his wife, his sponsors...they're probably going to spend the entire week trying to talk him off the ledge, lol.

I agree with you all that this sort of shit is scary, especially when the more heartless drivers are involved. That being said, the braindead commish stepping in and declaring it over without it being resolved in ANY way is rather stupid too. I dunno what the middle ground is but it seems they're nowhere near it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:50 pm 

Am I the only person in the world who is hoping that this situation isn't over?

I want to see Joey's stupid smile and careless attitude get rekt. Like better than Brad vs Kenseth at Charlotte or Brad vs Jeff Gordon at Texas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I dunno. It feels kinda dirty to want to see it escalate, especially since it's dangerous (as we've mentioned). Also...it's really only out of habit that I even have a viewpoint, because when I back away from it for just a moment, I quickly remember this is 21st Century NASCAR. It's so meddled with and dreadful that it's silly to attach any meaning to the weekly goings-on. As far as the actual ramifications of the incident itself (Logano gaining a spot and Busch losing at least a dozen), it will certainly be completely meaningless at the end of the season. So, that kinda renders the dispute meaningless too (again, unless something really bad happens).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next