TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
I don't really see the point of going back to a V8/10/12 engine formula just because of the noise. Noise & Volume should not be the determining factor in what engines are used, In fact I think the sound/volume should be at the bottom of the pile when determining engine format.

Let’s take the sound out of the equation & look at it from this perspective. The current power units are already producing more power than the V8’s & are about on-par with the V10/V12’s & are doing that despite been of a smaller capacity, Having less cylinders & using significantly less fuel, I just don’t see why everyone is so against that or simply opting to ignore that just because there so fixated on noise which has no bearing at all on anything that should matter (i.e. Performance).

F1 has to move forward, It can’t be stuck in the past with engine formats & somewhat outdated engine tech just because they are loud. The motor industry, The technology within it & society as a whole have moved on & it’s right for F1 to look forward & move on with it. Smaller capacity turbo’s with hybrid technology is the way the motor industry seems to be going, F1 can’t ignore that & I don’t think it’s fans should either.

i agree. there is so much push for all-electric vehicles that the industry is nearly completely overlooking the fact that hybrid power units are more efficient all around and better performance. allowing the manufacturers to pursue the current powertrains in F1 not only keeps the manufacturers interested, but also allows them to push these technologies into the marketplace.

culturally we will learn to associate different sounds with performance in time, but for now they'll just have to keep pumping engine sound through the speakers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:46 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
I don't really see the point of going back to a V8/10/12 engine formula just because of the noise. Noise & Volume should not be the determining factor in what engines are used, In fact I think the sound/volume should be at the bottom of the pile when determining engine format.

Let’s take the sound out of the equation & look at it from this perspective. The current power units are already producing more power than the V8’s & are about on-par with the V10/V12’s & are doing that despite been of a smaller capacity, Having less cylinders & using significantly less fuel, I just don’t see why everyone is so against that or simply opting to ignore that just because there so fixated on noise which has no bearing at all on anything that should matter (i.e. Performance).

F1 has to move forward, It can’t be stuck in the past with engine formats & somewhat outdated engine tech just because they are loud. The motor industry, The technology within it & society as a whole have moved on & it’s right for F1 to look forward & move on with it. Smaller capacity turbo’s with hybrid technology is the way the motor industry seems to be going, F1 can’t ignore that & I don’t think it’s fans should either.

Why can't we allow V8s, V10s, and V12's in, too. They wouldn't be that competitive, but it would lower the cost to compete and raise car counts. And then you could also hedge against manufacturers just up and leaving as they do. LET THEM ALL COMPETE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:54 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

trout wrote:
i agree. there is so much push for all-electric vehicles that the industry is nearly completely overlooking the fact that hybrid power units are more efficient all around and better performance.

How about no. This is wrong on all levels. Hybrid is good for one thing and one thing only; 'the feeling that you're doing something for the environment, while doing the exact oppisite'. A hybrid is the worst. It's a marketing thing, not a solution.

Quote:
allowing the manufacturers to pursue the current powertrains in F1 not only keeps the manufacturers interested, but also allows them to push these technologies into the marketplace.

What? It's almost a last gasp resort before F1 really becomes a broadcasted hobby of the rich. Make no mistake, within ten years, most of us will travel by driverless car to work. Electric is the only way to go.

Quote:
culturally we will learn to associate different sounds with performance in time, but for now they'll just have to keep pumping engine sound through the speakers

Haha, I can remember DTM 93 and also when Vettel was in his first year at Red Bull (at Spa). Dear lord. I remember the VW L3 Lupo's. What a ridiculous sound they made for the 'speed'. The DTM was almost horrifying and F1 was literally breathtaking.

I'm a practical dude. I understand the need for 'awesomeness', but wouldn't the fans adapt just as much as the drivers? I mean, if a car comes blasting by at 280 km/h at a gazillion decibells, how ist that better then a car that comes by at 350 km/h at half the decibells? I know that the one is more impressive then the other, but seriously, are we still impressed by impressions? I know a good story about WW2 if we're going that way....?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

siggy wrote:
trout wrote:
i agree. there is so much push for all-electric vehicles that the industry is nearly completely overlooking the fact that hybrid power units are more efficient all around and better performance.

How about no. This is wrong on all levels. Hybrid is good for one thing and one thing only; 'the feeling that you're doing something for the environment, while doing the exact oppisite'. A hybrid is the worst. It's a marketing thing, not a solution.

Quote:
allowing the manufacturers to pursue the current powertrains in F1 not only keeps the manufacturers interested, but also allows them to push these technologies into the marketplace.

What? It's almost a last gasp resort before F1 really becomes a broadcasted hobby of the rich. Make no mistake, within ten years, most of us will travel by driverless car to work. Electric is the only way to go.

Quote:

Haha, I can remember DTM 93 and also when Vettel was in his first year at Red Bull (at Spa). Dear lord. I remember the VW L3 Lupo's. What a ridiculous sound they made for the 'speed'. The DTM was almost horrifying and F1 was literally breathtaking.

I'm a practical dude. I understand the need for 'awesomeness', but wouldn't the fans adapt just as much as the drivers? I mean, if a car comes blasting by at 280 km/h at a gazillion decibells, how ist that better then a car that comes by at 350 km/h at half the decibells? I know that the one is more impressive then the other, but seriously, are we still impressed by impressions? I know a good story about WW2 if we're going that way....?

electric powertrains lose efficiency at the top end, exactly where combustion engines are most efficient. but electric vehicles are amazing off the line, unlike the combustion engine which loses most of its efficiency getting up to speed. the most exploitative powertrain that takes advantage of this principle is in the koenigsegg regera.

so long as cars need to reach freeway speeds they will be inefficient as all-electric vehicles. for people who live in the city that works great (but you should really be taking public transportation anyway). and as long as we are getting our electricity from fossil fuels its not going to change our footprint, if that is what is important to you. being more efficient allows us to use less of both.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
Why can't we allow V8s, V10s, and V12's in, too. They wouldn't be that competitive, but it would lower the cost to compete and raise car counts. And then you could also hedge against manufacturers just up and leaving as they do. LET THEM ALL COMPETE

It would raise costs, big time.

Ferrari would spend an extra $100m investigating whether a V8 is better than a V10, then another $100m investigation if a W16 is better than a straight 7 and so on and so on.

Engine costs caps would be the best solution. Mercedes could spend $900m of their budget on engines but they're obliged to sell engines to other teams for a capped amount. It would reduce spending as the more money and effort they put into their engines the more they will be helping the competition.

I didn't explain myself very clearly, manufacturers wouldn't be allowed to race anything other than a hybrid with 6 or less cylinders. Designate cost capped engines, with a limit of 3 liters or something like that, limit them to 15K RPM, have Judd or Cosworth or both make them, and let teams use them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty wrote:
siggy wrote:
trout wrote:

I know this is heading off track, but being an automotive engineer who has extensively studied hybrid technology I'm fascinated as to how you've come to this conclusion.

i have a background in mechinical engineer, so yes, very broad. In essence, with acceleration (driving a car in a city) weight is a bitch. By far. Having a second engine costs weight. Percentage weight maybe not as much, but as soon as a Prius goes onto a highway, the electric is just dead weight. (here comes the discussion) The amount of km driven, on average, is useless for a hybrid. In the end, it's not about technology or even efficiency, its about the human 'spirit', aka, range anxiety. It's silly beyond statistics.

Back to efficiency, in a few years, driverless cars become the new normal and safety becomes a thing of the past. All those kg added will go away, essentially driing a paper electric 'car'. The avaerage speed will become king, acceleration and top speed only a thing for the Nordschleife.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a practical dude. I understand the need for 'awesomeness', but wouldn't the fans adapt just as much as the drivers? I mean, if a car comes blasting by at 280 km/h at a gazillion decibells, how ist that better then a car that comes by at 350 km/h at half the decibells?

You have to understand, general motorsport fans in general aren't exactly a sophisticated bunch (people like us are mostly at a higher level than that). Small things entertain small minds. F1 needs the loud cars, I still remember hearing conversations from supporters at the first race of the new gen in F1 in 2014 saying they'll never come back because the sound is gone. Grand prix was very exciting that year, it didn't matter.

I was very much in the corner of welcoming the new sound in 2014, but F1 needs loud cars back.

Yeah, i understand, but isn't a thing of nostalgic? I know the whole experience is one thing, but isn't that only relative to what you already know? If this was the norm (the V6), how would a V10, or vegans forbid, a V12 be welcomed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:20 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

trout wrote:
electric powertrains lose efficiency at the top end, exactly where combustion engines are most efficient. but electric vehicles are amazing off the line, unlike the combustion engine which loses most of its efficiency getting up to speed. the most exploitative powertrain that takes advantage of this principle is in the koenigsegg regera.

huh, this seems to have to relate to aerodynamics, not engine. And 'most efficient' is extremely relative. A combustion engine (if i recall correctly) will never get above 48% (?) while electric is easily above 90% and the motor itself at 98 or 99%. The battery technology is what makes the efficiency drop. Aka, weight.

Quote:
so long as cars need to reach freeway speeds they will be inefficient as all-electric vehicles. for people who live in the city that works great (but you should really be taking public transportation anyway). and as long as we are getting our electricity from fossil fuels its not going to change our footprint, if that is what is important to you. being more efficient allows us to use less of both.

Well, it depends on how you define the carbon footprint. I'm not drying to be a dick here, just a serious advocate. Most, if not all, of the carbon footprint kahuna is all bullshit. All things written in their own favour. The only point that is always lost is time. What's the ppoint if you can be carbon super in 10 years, if that choice is carbon garbage in 50 years? It makes no sense. That's why hybrids never will be a serious option. It's fun for the short term, but in any serious long term scenario, they are a curiosity and not a solution. In the end, with electric power, efficiency will not become the issue at is it with inefficient power generation of today, the issue will be the generation of electricity that will need to become more efficient. And in the end, utopia, generation of electricity will become near free.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:29 pm 

JJ wrote:
CoCo wrote:
speaking of ferrari,,raikkonen just crashed it at turn 3

Talks about Kimi's retirement begin 3..2..1..

Kimi Strollnen :p

Fabs wrote:
Apparantly the Ultra Soft this year isn't worth a lot, meaning it's not really quicker than the softs.

did you really mean the softs? It seems to me you meant the supersofts? 3 compounds labled as softs leads to this kind of mess...
Fabs wrote:
Meaning there's no real "tyre-correction" needed when you watch the laptimes.

Also, what's the use of producing these tyres if there's no difference?

OMG, are you criticizing Pirelli? :ohmy: Btw, if that is the case, then anybody can only agrees that there is no point in having 2 additional soft-labled compounds, at all

cambridge wrote:
it's not that they want more clean f1. They want more clean every day cars and the development they do in f1 will once again find his way on everyday cars in the next years. and i think formula-e is almost as important under this aspect. how many cars you know that have a 3000cc V10?

That's a myth! F1 was never road relevant, there was almost never any tech transfer at all and, when there is, it's almost always F1 copying the tech naturally developed for our road cars

Fabs wrote:
That in combination with the new aero sounds great.

Hey but at least the cars look much better, oh wait.
Oh right, the drivers are happy because they can push all race long now :roll:

On the Autralian GP thread I'll address this, as there will be more people looking at that. Not talking about you specifically but to everybody that have this mentality about the situation

codename_47 wrote:
I predict a lot of first lap tyre changes by the lower order teams in the hope of a safety car (lol remember them? :p)

you make it sound as if F1 had abolished that thing :roll:

Your other post is even funnier as it makes it seem as if they don't use the SC to spice up the races and create fake results in the way, but quite the contrary :mrgreen:
LucasWheldon wrote:
you have those hybrid engines on F1 cars... transported by regular diesel lorries and jumbo jets that also release lots of greenhouse gases

they just want to be environmental friendly to what is shown on cameras but they don't bother to increase air pollution behind the scenes

Yup. The actual on-track action is like 0.1% of their pollution emitions but hey, what matters is to look green not be it.

Longest post ever? Sorry, later more rant from me after I find time to catch up with page 39...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

21 grams according to some people....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My monitor now needs cleaning, thanks Scotty!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ptclaus98 wrote:
Why can't we allow V8s, V10s, and V12's in, too.
Not against that although i'm not sure I trust them to implement it in a sensible way. You would probably just end up with constant meddling of the rules in a never ending chase for performance parity or maybe even some sort of multi-class system which is something i'm not sure i'd like to see in F1.

I think the cost issue is hopefully going to become less of an issue over the next few years as Liberty Media seem interested in distributing the prize money in a better way which will give the smaller teams more money.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:04 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Artur Craft wrote:
Your other post is even funnier as it makes it seem as if they don't use the SC to spice up the races and create fake results in the way, but quite the contrary :mrgreen:

You appear to be confusing Formula 1 with NASCAR

Or have you forgotten races like Hockenheim 2014 where a group of marshals were sent out to recover a stalled Sauber at the final corner under waved yellows because putting out a SC would've been unfair to Rosberg's strategy?

Hell, F1 would rather risk marshal and driver lives than put out the SC if they could avoid it, then after that philosophy bit them in the rear in the worst possible way in Japan that year, they brought in the VSC so they could still neutralise races without ruining the gaps drivers had built up to the car behind. Entertainment be damned.

What part of that is "using the SC to make the races more exciting?"

F1 has always been about purism over entertainment since it began, even if it means risking lives to maintain it's self-imposed "integrity"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
F1 has always been about purism over entertainment since it began

Now it seems like it is neither of those......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

siggy wrote:
trout wrote:

huh, this seems to have to relate to aerodynamics, not engine. And 'most efficient' is extremely relative. A combustion engine (if i recall correctly) will never get above 48% (?) while electric is easily above 90% and the motor itself at 98 or 99%. The battery technology is what makes the efficiency drop. Aka, weight.

"The thermal efficiency of Mercedes' class-leading hybrid F1 engine has now exceeded 45 percent, with 50 percent thermal efficiency a very real target in the next couple of seasons. By contrast, coal and oil power stations achieve thermal efficiency of around 33 percent, meaning the power used to drive an electric car is likely to come from a less efficient source than an F1 engine" http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/15152 ... ic-vehicle

aero certainly helps, but gas mileage has more to do with how much air an engine displaces. combustion engines use way more energy getting up to speed than an electric motors do, like in stop and go traffic and at idle. electric motors use more energy maintaining freeway speeds than combustion engines do because their torque curve drops as the speed increases.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Got to get that aero data...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Man, I'm surprised as no one, fan or team staff, haven't mentioned that now we don't have the Token rule bullshit, so Honda should improve much faster than in previous seasons. I'm looking forward to see how this goes.

And Ferrari pace is starting to scare me, I would like to see them on top after struggling for so many years, but I really prefer 2 teams or more near the top, not just a Mercedes substitute. Though Mercedes probably knows something now to catch-up - another thing to see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:43 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

McLaren stopped again.

Neil wrote:
In other news: Grass is green, water is wet and fire is hot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It would have been less humiliating for everyone if McLaren had gone bankrupt instead of Manor.

Last edited by JJ on Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:45 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Soul Reaver wrote:
And Ferrari pace is starting to scare me, I would like to see them on top after struggling for so many years, but I really prefer 2 teams or more near the top, not just a Mercedes substitute. Though Mercedes probably knows something now to catch-up - another thing to see how it goes.

Ferrari has been impressive and could be quicker than Mercedes, but I think Mercedes still has an edge. Looking forward to March 25th. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:53 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Mika Kimi wrote:
McLaren stopped again.

Neil wrote:
In other news: Grass is green, water is wet and fire is hot.

They just stopped again :lol: :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 136 37 38 39 40141 Next