TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 1:10 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
restrictor plates to F1 *runs away*

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:15 pm 

@
Coldtyre
, I was just being wishful thinking. I like to delude myself with hopeless things

My pessimistic side even considers the possibility of this new administration taking F1 even more into NASCAR's route, ie, scheduled caution/SC every 15 min to keep bunching up the field, just to say something silly.... and, tbh, such thing would be so gimmicky that I would even be curious to watch it just to have some loud laughs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

How I differ from the majority of racing fans is I'd rather artificial excitement than purism based boredom.

Qualifying the fastest cars at the front of the grid then expecting the slower cars behind them to overtake them and provide us some entertainment is royally stupid.

I firmly believe not only is the Safety Car the safest way of dealing with an on track incident (that way the marshals can pick up the wreck/debris while the cars are the other side of the track efficiently and without pressure of cars passing by worrying more about their delta times than marshal safety), but it also makes the races so much more entertaining.
For a start it takes away fuel management concerns, this whole underfueling the car expecting a SC to appear philosophy means if one doesn't show up the drivers are more worried about fuel management than they are racing.
Plus it brings alternate strategies into play and gives a chance for a mid-grid team to get a result they wouldn't otherwise. (then the purists can decry their hard fort and tactically smart result as "lucky" and call for the SC to be banned :roll: )

Motorsport moving away from using SC to this B.S. code 60/VSC shit has been one of its worst ideas for entertainment reasons.

But then, that's just my perspective and as I'm continually told, I'm wrong, so who should give a shit for what I think :p

I'm willing to bet though that if you look back through the greatest races of the last 20 years, the SC made an appearance in a good number of them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:50 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I prefer the old safety car system. You are where you are when it comes out. A lap down? stiff shit, why should you get a free and lucky pass when the others don't. Plus we don't waste 2 - 3 sometimes more laps waiting for the cars to first pass, then catch up.

Edit
--------
Oh and I know they have said they are going to be more lenient on penalties this year...but I would actually prefer them to get tougher on situations that actually warrant a penalty. I can't stand this 5 seconds added to race time stuff. If they deserve a penalty make them have a trip down pit lane or even have a stop in the pit lane if its a 20 second time penalty.

If a drive through penalty it too harsh, then it doesn't deserve a penalty. If its the last lap, then yes add the time it takes to drive down the pit lane to the race time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:08 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

What I've never got with the lapped car safety car thing is why not have them slow down and drop to the back of the pack instead of going round no free pass they're out the way and it's quicker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It also screws up things like fuel flow measurement and minimum weight measurement at the end of the race, and generally allowing some cars to run less laps than others to finish on the lead lap isn't a great concept.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:24 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Pretty sure that a company that earned how ever many billions of $$$$ that CVC did that it would be pretty easy to do, but we have seen how much (how little) FOM, CVC etc have actually put back into the sport and how technically blind Bernie was.....but you might be right Scotty, after all it is quite common to see the timing screens on the tv go a little bung at times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The annoying thing was, the wave around cars still had to stick to the delta time as they caught up. :slaphead:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Do they only wave them around after the track is clear? Because otherwise it makes sense to delta them to avoid having cars flying around at race pace

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeaa, once the track is ready. Unfortunately it's not really surprising that they're so dumb about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:25 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Farewell MP4...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bloody hell, that *is* a big change for McLaren! I wonder if this means that Ron has taken Project Four away with him after all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Either that or a big slap in the face for Dennis.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Regarding the 'lapped cars may now overtake' rule, what happens if a driver is 3 or 4 laps down? Do they get one lap back, or none, or all of them? I personally think the quickest thing is to drop the lapped cars to the back. Keep them a lap down. Wasn't the original purpose of the rule so that lapped cars don't get in the way of the leaders at a restart? Giving them a lap back seems a bit pointless. Even NASCAR can line the cars up at restarts properly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:04 pm 

@
codename_47
, I have no problem at all with people that likes artificialities in racing. I don't like any of them but it's just purely a matter of taste/opinion

What I really find odd is how selective some people are with the artificialities. What I mean is, a guy doesn't mind the use of SC but moans about the Chase system, which is just, in the championship, what the SC is during a race, ie, the Chase bunchs up the top drivers, points wise, so that nobody opens a confortable lead or you see competitors spread out.

Also, if one likes a particular gimmick, because it subjectively brings "entertainment", why mind things like standing restarts(which is not even an artificial thing, by itself), inverted grids, double points final races and etc?

Nice to see Mclaren change their car's name, mp4 now become much more identified as a video format, so I welcome this new one

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the new guys at McLaren should keep at least the Bruce McLaren tradition to use Mxx, last used in 1980 before Project Four takeover

in 2017 could have been M31

btw Ferrari is adding JB to their car designation, what does that means?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jules Bianchi #17

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

thanks, at a first glance I read Jenson Button and thought WTF??

completely ignored Jules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:34 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Regarding the 'lapped cars may now overtake' rule, what happens if a driver is 3 or 4 laps down? Do they get one lap back, or none, or all of them? I personally think the quickest thing is to drop the lapped cars to the back. Keep them a lap down. Wasn't the original purpose of the rule so that lapped cars don't get in the way of the leaders at a restart? Giving them a lap back seems a bit pointless. Even NASCAR can line the cars up at restarts properly.

Kinda what I meant, they'll stay the same number of laps down but instead of them going all around have them slow down to line up at the rear in the running order.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Scotty wrote:
vince wrote:
What I've never got with the lapped car safety car thing is why not have them slow down and drop to the back of the pack instead of going round no free pass they're out the way and it's quicker

You mean send them to the back of the pack and give them a lap back?

Have a strong feeling the electronic timing systems embedded into racing tracks can't handle it. You can't just add time or put "add 1 lap" into a timing system, would be the equivalent of telling a machine to divide a number by zero. You could do it after the race, same way they add penalties to peoples time I guess.

Feel free to prove me wrong, I'm basing this off the fundamental law of time.

In no way is this an accurate comparison, but when I was employed at a go-kart track, we could do this on our timing system.

We never had a SC or anything like that, but if a kart broke down and it was our fault, if we got it going again we'd credit them back into the same position as much as possible (which involved trying to release them back onto track in the same physical track position they were before and crediting their lap(s) back on the computer)

It was a fucking ballache to organise, but possible.

So obviously if a local 2 bit kart operation in Birmingham (UK) can do it, the top of the entire motorsport ladder must be able to do the same. Obviously :p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15141 Next