TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1119 120 121 122 123141 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
If people are saying Kvyat is good enough for Williams then so is Palmer. They are on the same level in my opinion. In fact, given all the resources and knowledge at his disposal i'd say that Kvyat has arguably been WORSE than Palmer.

Tbh. I’d pick Palmer over kvyat any day. Kvyat seems to have a mentality issue. Palmer might suck but at least he appears to be trying to be the best he can be.

But personally I’d put Kubica on a performance contract and hire Palmer as test driver. If it works out, YAY. If not, bye bye.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes I agree with this. Kvyat mentally isn't there and just seems to crumble into a downward spiral that is unrecoverable from, while Palmer isn't there talent wise but he will continue to deliver the same kind of baseline performance. Which sadly shouldn't even be mentioned or thought of in regards to a possible Williams drive....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:27 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Imagine Palmer and Stroll in the same team :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
StefMeister wrote:
Liberty are apparently pushing for the front row to consist of 3 cars, Teams are against it due to the increased possibility of turn 1 contact.

imagine how (even more) farcical qualifying sessions will be

championship contenders lifting in final sector to avoid front row and possible start crashes. they should do a try on a wide disposable track, maybe Abu Dhabi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
webbsy wrote:
If people are saying Kvyat is good enough for Williams then so is Palmer. They are on the same level in my opinion. In fact, given all the resources and knowledge at his disposal i'd say that Kvyat has arguably been WORSE than Palmer.

Tbh. I’d pick Palmer over kvyat any day. Kvyat seems to have a mentality issue. Palmer might suck but at least he appears to be trying to be the best he can be.

But personally I’d put Kubica on a performance contract and hire Palmer as test driver. If it works out, YAY. If not, bye bye.

Kvyat showed promise in 2014 and was thrust into RBR as a reactionary move to Vettel defecting to Ferrari. Once in RBR he was mismanaged, which wouldn't have helped his mental state. In hindsight a year or two more at STR would have helped him mature and develop.

Palmer though never showed any promise and was over his head from the moment he stepped into the Renault seat. More time didn't help Palmer and in fact he got steadily worse.

Both have had their chance and now it's over for both. Neither deserve the Williams seat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Before going three abreast for starts, they might want to consider trying two abreast first, the present system can't even be considered two abreast now, they could all line up in a line instead of staggered and they still wouldn't touch each other.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:30 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

3 wide starts?! :? 8O :excited:

I know the teams and drivers bitch about it for safety, but in reality they don't want to give advantage away.

IMHO, the 3 wide start should be special in some races and most of the tracks should have the regular grid. And Monza should have that four lane 2x2 grid of old times. The modern 1x1 is a bit of a gimmick on old school tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Mmmm, yes please...

(OT: just realised, Varsha mentions "maybe the most qualified Indycar field in history, World Championships in both Formula 1 cars and sports cars", but Eddie Lawson's 4 500cc titles don't matter? Aha!)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dicksplaash wrote:
Mmmm, yes please...

(OT: just realised, Varsha mentions "maybe the most qualified Indycar field in history, World Championships in both Formula 1 cars and sports cars", but Eddie Lawson's 4 500cc titles don't matter? Aha!)

Lawson was underrated in CART. Not sure why he was replaced but Davy Jones did even worse. Galles really sucked that year.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:17 pm 

iks wrote:
Lawson was underrated in CART. Not sure why he was replaced but Davy Jones did even worse. Galles really sucked that year.

I think he had enough of racing altogether after Krosnoff's death. 6th in the rain at Belle Isle was not at all a bad result!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Another interesting throwback video on the F1 channel.

Putting aside criticism of Jacques' performance in anything less than a winning car, he probably deserves more credit for having the balls to prevail against Ferrari/FIArrari that year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
it was the first time I watched all the races in a championship, since then never missed one

good to see those old videos remasterized

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
Another interesting throwback video on the F1 channel.

Putting aside criticism of Jacques' performance in anything less than a winning car, he probably deserves more credit for having the balls to prevail against Ferrari/FIArrari that year.

Thanks, I was about to post it, not only for the reasons you stated but also how it's all so nostalgic. That year was far from the real golden era of F1, but it still had a lot more in common with it than the current sport has.

Just those little things you know? Dirt and grass on the track where Villeneuve made his attack. No marshall decisions to interfere with team-play shenanigans. No catchfencing or safety car, just Schumacher standing on the wall defeated while Villeneuve goes by in the lead. Coulthard lifting off to save his friend's chances of a championship. All the people and mess in the pits with all teams applauding the champion as he's driving back.

The on-track battles that we have nowadays are just as superb, but all those little "raw" racing things have now made place to a super professional, super clean, super organized show.

/old fart mode over

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

JV's ego throughout 1997 was intolerable. Schumi was amazing all year, bar the final race, and it wasn't JV versus Ferrari / FIArrari. The latter is a ludicrous suggestion. The year was about JV versus himself. The amount of mistakes he made that cost himself points was incredible, especially when you consider the pace advantage he had with the Williams... Monaco, Montreal, Hockenheim, the constant ignoring of yellow flags issue that lead to his dsq from Japan (for which he was not alone, but was the most consistent perpetrator)...

He got back into the title hunt by capitalizing on the misfortune of many others... Schumi and Hakkinen at Silverstone, Hill and Frentzen at Hungary, Hakkinen plus Trulli and Barrichello at Austria (and that's ignoring the Frentzen / Schumi yellow flag controversy), DC and Hakkinen at Nurburgring...

Now these points aren't to suggest he didn't deserve the title. These are all parts of racing. Yet he at best stumbled to the title.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
JV's ego throughout 1997 was intolerable. Schumi was amazing all year, bar the final race, and it wasn't JV versus Ferrari / FIArrari. The latter is a ludicrous suggestion. The year was about JV versus himself. The amount of mistakes he made that cost himself points was incredible, especially when you consider the pace advantage he had with the Williams... Monaco, Montreal, Hockenheim, the constant ignoring of yellow flags issue that lead to his dsq from Japan (for which he was not alone, but was the most consistent perpetrator)...

He got back into the title hunt by capitalizing on the misfortune of many others... Schumi and Hakkinen at Silverstone, Hill and Frentzen at Hungary, Hakkinen plus Trulli and Barrichello at Austria (and that's ignoring the Frentzen / Schumi yellow flag controversy), DC and Hakkinen at Nurburgring...

Now these points aren't to suggest he didn't deserve the title. These are all parts of racing. Yet he at best stumbled to the title.

1996 and 1997 were Williams' most hard-fought titles, and each time the driver seemed to battle himself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:42 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

All you had to do was see the reaction of everybody in pit lane to tell you who they thought should have won the championship.

I agree though it was almost a case of self sabotage from Villeneuve and Williams, and if Schumi wasn't Schumi, especially around this time frame (meaning there always seemed to be more negative press than positive around him, shades of Hamilton today??) then that 1997 season by him would be considered to be one of the all time great seasons. Even right till the end that Ferrari wasn't remotely near as good as that Williams was.

I never liked him, but his drive at Spa that year just made the whole field look like amateurs. To me that was one of, if not his greatest drive. He was just sublime.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Who would have thought, with two races to go, Lance Stroll would be 10th in the championship and four points ahead of Massa, with a very realistic chance of finishing the season ahead in points. The why's and how's are irrelevant. What matters is the result.

Bye Massa :wave:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:49 am 

Nah, he'll be back somehow :lol:

Seriously though, he needs to piss off

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's nice to see the development of Lance throughout the year. It's hard to forget he's still just a teenager. He was all over the place earlier in the year but he's definitely settled down well and showing consistent pace in race trim. Not bad for a pay driver.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:34 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

With all respect to Hakkinen and all the other drivers from the mid and end 90's, I would have loved to see another driver like Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso challenging Schumacher in those years. Schumacher sometimes made the 90's drivers look like amateurs, but the grid back then wasn't as competitive as it is now (IMO).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1119 120 121 122 123141 Next