TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Neil wrote:
Dunno. Give it a go

Be careful what you wish for. I remember the downfall of the original TBK board with moderators getting banned.

Do you really want to give it a go? :whistling:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Gaara wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Gaara wrote:
STR are so going to be in trouble for this.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... -sainz-car

What the hell are they thinking? Knotted together wheel tethers in inspection and when told to replace them, they REFUSE? Now the car is not allowed to race until its fixed. Are they playing games with Sainz because of his comments?

Which would be utterly barmy to do. Risk severe penalties just to play mindgames with a driver over comments they made?

Remember this no?

Maybe there's a clausal in Sainz contract that he can't be fired/benched during the contract? Well, they're not simply going to get him out of a race as a punishment just like that, they just don't have a car for him that FIA would deem eligible. What a shame.

Think about it. There's been wheel tethers for, what 17 years now and they've been strictly regulated and improved over the times. Every incindent where the wheel has come of the car has been investicated, even the times when a rim has broken. Red Bull junior team just happens to bring in a car that has knots on those high tech high energy absorbing and those just happen to be on a car that's been driven by the guy everyone talked about during their home race for disliking his team and contract? Knots! On a Formula One car in a year 2017! And they don't want to change that! What else could it be? How come this has not been tried before? Or even better, who in a sensible mind would think that Formula One, the pinnacle of motorsports, would allow a team to put KNOTS on safety structure that's one of the most important features on an open wheel race car worth of millions of dollars?

And where did Sainz broke those tethers in the first place? In the article you can clearly see those knots, they're half arsed AF. I asume this same car was scrutined just a week ago in Austria. I'm pretty sure that the FIA would have noticed that back then. And why doesn't the team want to change them? It's been done dozens of times for sure and I asume it's not as expensive as replacing a faulty engine. Why make the car ineligible for a cheap replacement component? Or why would the team even want to play with that? With knots? Really? The whole thing just stinks. Red Bull suddenly doesn't have money for new wheel tether, but they flew the staff and equipment over seas in a week anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And my point still stands, why would you do that. They would know the car was unsafe and therefore breached Article 12.1.1.b of the FIA's International Sporting Code. That's not going to be taken lightly. The FIA can and should come down hard on this. I'd say it is right up there with BAR's fuel tank shenanigan's. Worse even since it's a safety issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

They got some 'splainin to do. Refusing to change something on safety grounds that isn't some vague and easily debatable thing? I don't believe they would do anything like that deliberately, but until we hear their reasons.....its anyone's guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:24 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Don't fuck around with wheel tethers.

People have been thrown out of races for far less than that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:27 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Images of the shield on Vettel's car ready for it's 1st track test tomorrow.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/07/13/s ... on-device/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think it looks kinda cool, certainly better than the halo. It'll be interesting to see how airbox design changes as a result.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:37 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Looks promising.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My first thought was this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kals wrote:
Mika Kimi wrote:
Reminds me of "Could you please stop laughing?". Or was that a few years later? :lol:

That was Monza 2003 in reference to the tyre debacle post Hungary.

Ah yes, you're right. :yes: What a lovely moment that was.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
And my point still stands, why would you do that. They would know the car was unsafe and therefore breached Article 12.1.1.b of the FIA's International Sporting Code. That's not going to be taken lightly. The FIA can and should come down hard on this. I'd say it is right up there with BAR's fuel tank shenanigan's. Worse even since it's a safety issue.

But don't forget they have multiple standards when it comes to safety.
Bianchi is an example sadly and it took them long enough to call Hamilton in when his headrest came loose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Last edited by StefMeister on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:58 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Safety is only an excuse when it suits them or the drivers. Loose barge boards, carbon fiber pieces, in one race it seems fine, the other race it's not fine. I can't understand why is it so hard to simple define when a meat ball flag needs to be used and when not. And simply waiting a few laps for the piece to come off is silly. Not sure when, but i can remember a race in the last 7 years or so where a driver was advised to weave to try and make it come off. Perhaps they've lost the meat ball flag.

And the safety car is always to slow, drivers keep complaining, why do they think it's there for? To keep their tyres warm or for safety. The FIA should be more consistent (lol) and the drivers should stop complaining so much. Also, for example, those saugage kerbs are a direct result of loosing gravel traps and trying something else to keep drivers from cutting across the parking lot, eh, corners.

I've seen the picture from that Torros Rosso. It looks like rope, not like dynema wire or something. Secondly, since when does the public get pictures like this? I can't think of anything like this ever released. But refusing to fix it seems rather, ehm, stupid? We'll see how that story develops, i can't even form an opinion on that i'm that stunned. But hey, it's better then another borefest. Let's hear what Sainz have to say, if he runs in FP1.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

*Sigh*. Just accept the risk of open cockpit as it's less probable than a driver dying of a heart attack while eating their snacks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:07 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You couldn't even see Vettel's helmet with the front on shot with the reflection of that shield. If that is the iteration of what they want, I just can't see what they actually want to achieve. That shield won't stop shit ----the drivers' head is still pretty exposed.

Last edited by webbsy on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:08 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Tom wrote:
At the moment the weather is looking unsettled for both Saturday and Sunday.

The week hasn't been the heatwave of last week and we had torrential rain for around 18 hours Monday to Tuesday I think.

There could be a wet-to-dry qualifying session which may at least topsy-turvy the grid a bit.

no rain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:13 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Vettel reported that he suffered blurred vision with the aeroscreen. He hasn't done more than 1 lap (there were 3 expected).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 am 

bai screen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
What's wrong with mitigating the risk?

Increasing the top speeds for this year is mitigating the risk? FIA is so illogical that I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

EDIT: And now there are people on the track without session being interrupted. Talk about risks, eh?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Add a dude in Japan to that list. Out of curiosity how many more posts before this thing goes thermo nuclear?

I recon someone will respond to Scotty...maybe Ian -S and JJ?, Scotty with the comeback, Coldtyre and kals will chip in, Fabs will do, well, Fab's stuff. Tom will step in and then a mysterious and random post by Tobias. Then I will probably say something like how much of a Neanderthal I am for liking the old engines....

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next