TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1915 916 917 918 9191061 Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I am a bit upset but to me its for the best for Jr.hes married now and after his last season hes most likely go to go out there and enjoy life.And also for the third year in a row a driver retires

2015:Jeff Gordan
2016:Tony Stewart,Brian Scott,Carl Edwards
2017:Dale Jr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:17 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chris A wrote:
Erik Jones is a prick? I can't say I find him outwardly likeable but off the top of my head, I can't think of anything he's said or done that makes him dislikeable.

From what I've read he's not very fan friendly, so loosing the fan favorite for guys who turn their nose up when you ask for an autograph isn't healthy for the sport at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:34 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

Mitchell wrote:
Brian Scott

Is it bad that I completely forgot that Brian Scott was a thing? Like, I know I haven't watched but two races this year, but I still know who the drivers are, but I completely and comprehensively forgot about Brian Scott. Nothing about him was even a little bit memorable.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

SB83 wrote:
It will hurt the sport a bit but nothing like when Sr died. Lot of new blood in the sport that needs/deserves those fans.

It's arguable if Dale Sr. dying actually had a negative effect on the sport - pretty much all of his fans went straight to Junior, so they kept watching, and because it gave NASCAR a ton of mainstream exposure, the TV ratings went up every year afterwards until 2005.

The problem now is who do Junior's fans go to the track to cheer for? Of course there's new talent but talent doesn't equal appeal. Junior isn't the most talented driver out there and never has been, and it never mattered for his appeal.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:33 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I reckon he wanted to give it up last year, but NASCAR couldn't have Smoke and him going at the same time, so he did another year

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Best thing NASCAR has to push as their messiah is Chase Elliott now, at least he has a connection to the sport's glory years. I'd like to think the next most popular driver will actually come from being an interesting new personality rather than just having the right last name and signing a lot of merch deals.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Underdogfan wrote:
Chris A wrote:
Erik Jones is a prick? I can't say I find him outwardly likeable but off the top of my head, I can't think of anything he's said or done that makes him dislikeable.

From what I've read he's not very fan friendly, so loosing the fan favorite for guys who turn their nose up when you ask for an autograph isn't healthy for the sport at all.

Bet that guy who tried to get a selfie with Dale in the garage area on Monday might disagree on the fan favourite bit lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:17 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Joe A wrote:
Mitchell wrote:
Brian Scott

Is it bad that I completely forgot that Brian Scott was a thing? Like, I know I haven't watched but two races this year, but I still know who the drivers are, but I completely and comprehensively forgot about Brian Scott. Nothing about him was even a little bit memorable.

And you know what the worst part is.I knew someone was going to say that

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 am 

Mitchell wrote:
Joe A wrote:
Mitchell wrote:
Brian Scott

And you know what the worst part is.I knew someone was going to say that

Well, it's not as if Brian Scott set the world on fire. I don't even recall if he even won a single Busch race, let alone came close to winning a Cup race, aside from that deal at Talladega last fall. He was just... there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:09 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Yeah, to tear equipment up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There are at least 10 guys (and one girl) that fall into that category though. When you think about David Ragan, Landon Cassil, Timmy Hill, Michael McDowell and all the other drivers no one would really notice if they were gone, really a NASCAR field has no reason to be bigger than 25 cars at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:53 am 

Landon Cassill is a future champion who will win 30 races if he was given a ride, according to some people I know

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Some people say the same about Timmy Hill :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I had this whole post typed out but it doesn't matter.

I truly believe the playoffs and the dismal racing are the two things that are the biggest problems that need to be sorted out. I also think that both of those are a hindrance to building the kind stars we grew up on. It's like, it's too random or something. Chase Elliot could go out and battle with Blaney and Larson for the whole season, they could be 1/2/3 in points and theoretically they could be knocked out in round 1 of the playoffs, denying fans a chance to watch their new hero's battle right down to the wire for the title.

OR... Maybe, my rose tinted glasses are kind of coming off a bit and the realization that the sport I loved has passed me by and all my previous racing hero's are gone to retirement and I just don't give a damn about these kids is beginning to dawn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Underdogfan wrote:
Chris A wrote:

I don't think it's that he's not fan friendly, it's been openly known he is more reserved and doesn't quite care much to do what most of the other drivers do. Kind of reminds me of Carl in a way when it comes to that aspect.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

westracing01 wrote:

I truly believe the playoffs and the dismal racing are the two things that are the biggest problems that need to be sorted out. I also think that both of those are a hindrance to building the kind stars we grew up on. It's like, it's too random or something. Chase Elliot could go out and battle with Blaney and Larson for the whole season, they could be 1/2/3 in points and theoretically they could be knocked out in round 1 of the playoffs, denying fans a chance to watch their new hero's battle right down to the wire for the title.

this

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RtN wrote:
SB83 wrote:
It will hurt the sport a bit but nothing like when Sr died. Lot of new blood in the sport that needs/deserves those fans.

It's arguable if Dale Sr. dying actually had a negative effect on the sport - pretty much all of his fans went straight to Junior, so they kept watching, and because it gave NASCAR a ton of mainstream exposure, the TV ratings went up every year afterwards until 2005.

The problem now is who do Junior's fans go to the track to cheer for? Of course there's new talent but talent doesn't equal appeal. Junior isn't the most talented driver out there and never has been, and it never mattered for his appeal.

Fair point but somehow I don't think Jr ever had the same appeal to the older generation. Mind you I've never hung around in southern Alabama to know for sure. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Neither have I, and he might not be as popular as his father, but he still outstrips every other driver on the grid by a very comfortable margin in terms of support, certainly at the track.

I don't think his retirement will harm TV numbers too much - they'll continue falling at the same rate they have been for 12 years. But ticket sales could be a massacre, especially for the infield RV spots.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just something sort of related to NASCAR, today ESPN had a massive layoffs... One of them was long time employee Dr. Jerry Punch. They also let go people such as Ed Werder (NFL) and Jayson Stark (MLB) and basically anyone associated with the NHL.... Yet some how the ass clown Stephen A Smith remains.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

lol the nascar subreddit is in despair

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21205 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1915 916 917 918 9191061 Next