TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:29 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35141 Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ian-S wrote:
codename_47 wrote:
coldtyre wrote:
Never heard of a MS roll in 2001, but he did have a tyre failure at 340kph on the S/F straight in 2004 I believe.

A quick google brings up this
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/schuma ... 2001-07-19

But no mention of a roll so either I was reading the wrong websites back then (this one has quite a detailed description which makes it sound a bit like Kimi's crash there in qualifying in 2007) or I'm getting it confused with another incident he had there another year.
Or I dreamt it, who knows?

Didn't he roll at a Barcelona in testing that year? Turn 1 iirc.

Luca Badoer did. Ended up on the other side of the barriers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

But no mention of a roll so either I was reading the wrong websites back then (this one has quite a detailed description which makes it sound a bit like Kimi's crash there in qualifying in 2007) or I'm getting it confused with another incident he had there another year.

Yeah on the service road iirc, although I could have sworn schumi had a similar accident there, but also remember after his roll in Melbourne practice around the same time he said that was the first time he'd ever rolled a car.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Autosport (or AtlasF1, I guess) reported at the time that he had ended up under the tyres, but nothing about a flip. I remember the one in Melbourne, but I am also sure he did flip again in testing, either in 01 or 02.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh, and Romain Grosjean - who completed the most laps during the morning yesterday - said that the new wets are actually a massive improvement, and it's only the inters which seem to be a cause for concern.

Be interesting to see where he is when it rains. Ditto for Lewis 'electrical fault' Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:42 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here are yesterday's times:

And also the speed trap from the same day, which is not necessarily in the order I would expect:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really hope that Giovinazzi is really that good, and wish him a seat soon. Although not at the expense of a guy like Wehrlein - plenty of old farts (or paying talents) to give up their seats.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There's a reason why Wehrlein didn't get the second Merc seat and it had nothing to do with his experience or driving ability, I don't think even Merc could cope with two demanding premadonnas. Perhaps Giovinazzi is a more deserving pick after all...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
I really hope that Giovinazzi is really that good, and wish him a seat soon. Although not at the expense of a guy like Wehrlein - plenty of old farts (or paying talents) to give up their seats.

As he's running a almost sponsorless Sauber I'd be very wary of his times. Not the first time a low end team set stunning times during testing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, I mean, Palmer is faster so it means what it means. I just like the driver :)

Maybe I'm overestimating his abilities because Stroll has set the bar super-low for rookies. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:37 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

About the tires. I think they used to just get on with it. The tires are the tires and the setup had to be changed accordingly. Ride height is the biggest problem including parc ferme rules. Either way, it seems everybody just moans to get their way instead of just getting on with the job and do the best with the materials provided.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:48 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

codename_47 wrote:
cambridge wrote:
i actually miss the testing during the year.

the week before monza gp they used to go there for a testing session every year. It was amazing.
It was 3 days of f1 running non stop from 9 to 18, usually all teams were there and you were able to go everywhere you wanted ( apart from paddock, but i managed to enter there too, during testing the f1 security was less severe and you could sweettalk track employees ) moving from a turn to another, from a grandstand to another and you would spend just like 15 euros for the ticket. Drivers were more easy to approach, you were even able to find them around the park for a walk and so on.

All I remember from those Monza tests was reports of Huge crashes we'd never get to see.
M.Schumacher rolled his car again in 2001 I believe, as did Ralf a couple of years later. (didn't he miss the race that year??)
Also remember reading reports of James Courtney testing for Jaguar and giving himself concussion in another huge crash in the Monza test

It seemed to be the test where the teams would push the limits of their cars in readiness for the upcoming Grand Prix and sometimes take them too far over the limit, resulting in huge but unseen crashes.

i remember also, if i'm not wrong, Zonta going out at parabolica, never seen pictures of that but it was a big one for sure ( not quite as big as the one he had in silverstone during testing but still a big one )

Ralf Schumacher there were some pictures around, it was 1st lesmo if i'm not wrong, i remember him sitting on the ground quite shaken beside a very damaged car.
I have a vague memory of the Michael Schumacher crash but i don't remember him rolling, i remember he had some problem on the straight and crashed at 1st chicane but i don't recall what happened really. Never heard of James Courtney.
What i remember being on track it was like half an hour red flag stop every time someone hit an armco cause they couldn't get back on the track if the armco wasn't changed with a new one. That was the perfect time to move from one spot to another.

i personally don't think they pushed too hard. I just think they raced for 3, some times 4 days in a row from 9 to 18 non stop. Add also the fact that there were many spare drivers that were pushing hard to show they're f1 material. Compare it with a usual grand prix where they race 2 hours a day for 3 days. Its' like packing 5 grand prix in a week, so you can expect to have the amount of crashes of 5 grand prix during a test.

apart from the crashes I've so many good memories of the Monza tests. personally i've always tought and i still think that it was more fun and more rewarding for a fan to go and watch the tests than to go and watch a race. Every single aspect of the tests to me was better than the race:

price: tests absolutely cheap, race, insanely expensive
duration: tests: 8 hours. race less than 2
visibility: tests, you go wherever you want and you have the time to move all aorund the track. Race, you sit in your grandstand and never move.
accessibility: during tests there was almost no security, if you were smooth you could enter the track where the fotographers were or you could enter the paddock and visit the pits and nobody would stop you. race there's security everywhere, it's like a u.s. president visit.
drivers: during the tests i've met many drivers. during the race is almost impossible.
people: during the tests it's all true enthusiasts. during the race is mostly drunk people coming from everywhere just to be part of the event.

Last edited by cambridge on Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pat Symonds will be part of Sky's coverage this year & will be doing some commentary alongside Croft & Brundle for a few races though the year.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... 017-season

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:31 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

good stuff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:17 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

cambridge wrote:
All I remember from those Monza tests was reports of Huge crashes we'd never get to see.
M.Schumacher rolled his car again in 2001 I believe, as did Ralf a couple of years later. (didn't he miss the race that year??)

Pics here

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Ralf was quite a good wreck magnet, look how many hard shunts he had like that one

he crashed at Indy twice on the same spot, he had another one at Tabac in 2005. there was that one with Herbert at Monza/97, that time he flew over Barrichello

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
Ralf was quite a good wreck magnet, look how many hard shunts he had like that one

he crashed at Indy twice on the same spot, he had another one at Tabac in 2005. there was that one with Herbert at Monza/97, that time he flew over Barrichello

Argentina 1997 with Fisichella
Montreal 1997 at turn 1
Spa 1997 on the sighting lap heading to the grid
Melbourne 2001 with JV
Brazil 2001 with Barrichello
Melbourne 2002 with Barrichello
Indianapolis 2002 with Montoya
Nurburgring 2003 with Montoya

I know there's probably many more I'm missing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

webbsy wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Never heard or at least can't remember of that Badoer crash, are there photos of it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/1129648.stm

Quote:
The Italian's car somersaulted after losing a wheel while travelling at over 180mph at the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona in Spain.

Badoer's car lost a wheel before somersaulting and landing over a tyre barrier, according to a witness at the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:08 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Fake or not, maybe the future livery of Force India if they sign BWT sponsorship

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's an improvement over their current livery.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2816 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35141 Next