TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1905 906 907 908 9091060 Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I prefer sitting with the fans. My brother in law works for the Yankees and I've spent time in the suites there... I prefer sitting with the people that will high five the shit out of the stranger next to them because that might be the only game they get to attend all year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

trout wrote:
i agree that nascar is currently being mismanaged. cutting downforce last year was the first positive change i'd seen in over a decade. however, to say nascar would still be thriving if put back to "normal" would be to ignore that our culture has largely changed. even the stick and ball sports are struggling to maintain their fan bases.

the level of competition is higher than its ever been imo, but it has been mostly negated by the high downforce packages and cookie cutter race tracks. they keep changing the points and the format, but those changes cant fix the on-track product. if you want asses in seats and eyes glued to screens then they need to make the race to finish line good and stop worrying about the race to the championship (though admittedly chad knaus winning it every year is starting to get annoying)

I disagree with the idea that it's because our culture has changed. Clearly that has happened, but to say that the changes in culture, the world over, in the last 20 years has somehow been able to bring down sports (and NASCAR in particular) is to negate the cultural changes that affected us for the three decades between 1972 and 2003, NASCAR's modern era and the time when the good ole boys were brought nationwide. From 1972-2003, just using this as time frame, NASCAR built an empire that filled seats at every track, brought ratings, sponsors, money and power.

The cars changed, the drivers changed, the teams changed, new tracks were built, some were lost, the public at large changed, but through all of that was a consistency in the fundamental series itself that we have not had in the last decade.

If you don't get away from the basics, you don't have to go back to them. NASCAR has failed utterly in this regard and it has changed so drastically from what it was that I see no way for them to go back, only to blunder along the current path in the hopes they strike upon something that will stick.

I'm not even going to say it's the racing, because a lot of those races back in the day were long, boring, drawn out affairs. But every now and then you got a classic. NASCAR is trying to have a classic every week, and that makes it artificial which means that none of the races are or ever will be classics. If it happens every week than it's nothing special.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:44 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

What I love about the cars from the past is that they were hard to drive - you could see them moving around, spinning out. Drivers struggling to keep these machines under control. You rarely see this now - only on road courses and Eldora basically.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bad news: The WSJ article on NASCAR's downfall is giving NASCAR the most mainstream attention its had in a while.
Good news: At least this example of "NASCAR getting mainstream attention" doesn't involve a dozen fans getting cut open by flying engine parts. Yay?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

westracing01 wrote:
trout wrote:
i agree that nascar is currently being mismanaged. cutting downforce last year was the first positive change i'd seen in over a decade. however, to say nascar would still be thriving if put back to "normal" would be to ignore that our culture has largely changed. even the stick and ball sports are struggling to maintain their fan bases.

the level of competition is higher than its ever been imo, but it has been mostly negated by the high downforce packages and cookie cutter race tracks. they keep changing the points and the format, but those changes cant fix the on-track product. if you want asses in seats and eyes glued to screens then they need to make the race to finish line good and stop worrying about the race to the championship (though admittedly chad knaus winning it every year is starting to get annoying)

I disagree with the idea that it's because our culture has changed. Clearly that has happened, but to say that the changes in culture, the world over, in the last 20 years has somehow been able to bring down sports (and NASCAR in particular) is to negate the cultural changes that affected us for the three decades between 1972 and 2003, NASCAR's modern era and the time when the good ole boys were brought nationwide. From 1972-2003, just using this as time frame, NASCAR built an empire that filled seats at every track, brought ratings, sponsors, money and power.

The cars changed, the drivers changed, the teams changed, new tracks were built, some were lost, the public at large changed, but through all of that was a consistency in the fundamental series itself that we have not had in the last decade.

If you don't get away from the basics, you don't have to go back to them. NASCAR has failed utterly in this regard and it has changed so drastically from what it was that I see no way for them to go back, only to blunder along the current path in the hopes they strike upon something that will stick.

I'm not even going to say it's the racing, because a lot of those races back in the day were long, boring, drawn out affairs. But every now and then you got a classic. NASCAR is trying to have a classic every week, and that makes it artificial which means that none of the races are or ever will be classics. If it happens every week than it's nothing special.

sooo you wanna make more of the races boring so that when we have an exciting finish its more "special?" i'm trolling :twisted:

but seriously, the culture change isnt the sole factor - merely a contributing one; thought a factor nonetheless. tv viewers today dont regularly consume content 4hrs long anymore. most people wont even sit through a 2hr movie; and to pretend that our bite-sized youtube, vine, instagram culture doesnt have an effect on sports viewership is ignoring the facts

there are ways to make the on-track racing more interesting without making it artificial; unfortunately, bad management hasnt figured that out

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shit...just found out about Jayski....it was perfectly fine a few days ago..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:28 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here I am chilling out in Florida and I look up at the TV and see a local ad for some hearing center and I swear to god a slightly chubby Bill Webber was the pitch man.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well I believe he does live in Florida and maybe the magician market isn't as good as it once was.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

this would be so dope

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/circuit-o ... 1792745116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ugh, monumentally boring track.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Too wide, too much tarmac, too much runoff, no character.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

COTA sucks. Big dumb hill leading to turn 1 and then the most ridiculously overdone sets of switchback esses ever created.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

so your saying you'd rather stick with your lame-ass cookie cutter tracks than race at a world class road course? girl you trippin, lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's the roadcourse equivalent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've always wanted to say this....For Shizzle Tilkedrome.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The track may be boring but it'd be quite a show with these cars, like most road courses and stock cars. Certainly better than any 1.5 mile race. Quit yo bitchin.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well there are better road courses to go to. Like Elkhart Lake, Road Atlanta.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yeah, it's worth racing in the sense that it's different, but it's still an uninspired choice of RC. As Gaara alluded to, there are plenty of better options all around the country. I'm sure COTA is a top notch facility but the track is just boooooorrrring.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:03 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I like COTA but it's a track designed for single seaters, slow lumbering stock cars would have a hell of a trouble dealing with it

No doubt there's a shorter layout they could use, but still, it wouldn't be great

Also Texas Motor Speedway has a "no race at COTA" clause in their indycar contract, no way they're gonna let NASCAR go their either.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Also, a shorter track...cautions would be looong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 21192 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1905 906 907 908 9091060 Next